Sign in to follow this  

Baja Designs Kit, worth the money???

Need a dual sport kit, I've looked at Baja Designs $469. I want to know if this is a nice kit, or once you recieved it did you think I could have done that with nicer parts? Thanks for the info

Are you going to try and register a dirt bike as a street bike with this kit? You can put a headlight on most bikes for 50 bucks. The licensing this is about to get a lot more interesting. Some bikes have been getting through but things are going to change in a couple of years. Just be aware of that going forward.

Take a look at the trickdualsport.com kit too, you'll be surprised at the differences. Dale at Trick is also a good resource for all lighting needs since that's all he does. He also rides Dualsport most weekends in So Cal and surrounding states.

I considered the Baja Designs when adding a kit to my CFR230. I went with the ProCycle kit/parts instead. This saved about$300. If you source the parts seperately you'll get the same quality parts, plus have enough money left over for an upgraded Ricky Stator, some new DOT tires, and pay for your street registration. But the downside is you'll have to do a lot more research and make your own harness, which isn't that hard.

IMO the Baja designs kit is really over priced for what you get, but it is a direct plug in system, and from what I've heard they have great support.

It all depends on if the extra money is worth a little saved work/hassle.

Paul

Easy install and great product.....worth the money IMO

they also have a great customer service.......Diego is the man....

my kit came with Acerbis tail light kit and he exchanged it for the LED light kit for n/c......just had to pay shippping....

Easy install and great product.....worth the money

I have had my kit on for over two years and ride a lot of rough terrain including racing hare scrambles (and I don't remove any of the kit). The Baja Designs kit has held up well and they have been great with customer service. :banghead:

Easy install and great product.....worth the money IMO

they also have a great customer service.......Diego is the man....

my kit came with Acerbis tail light kit and he exchanged it for the LED light kit for n/c......just had to pay shippping....

I have had my kit on for over two years and ride a lot of rough terrain including racing hare scrambles (and I don't remove any of the kit). The Baja Designs kit has held up well and they have been great with customer service. :banghead:

Yeah, what they said. I don't race with mine, but have had it on my 650R for over a year and have had 0 problems. I have had a few questions for them while I've had it and they have answered them very quickly.

One thing to note is that the last time I checked you can get the kit from the TT store for about $440 shipped and if you have a b-day coming up you can use your 10% coupon to bring the price down to $396 shipped.

:banghead:

look on wheelingcycle supply.com and get the ez wire kit for 99 bucks then all you need is blinkers, that is if you have head and tail lights already. It is on special I think. Bd is a nice kit but their headlights are always fugly, my buddy has one on his xr and it

has been beat to hell and back and it still functions nicely.

To me it was worth it in the long run like said before they have excellent customer service and they make a great product. I just wish that there headlight would get re-designed it looks old on the newer sleeker bikes

To me it was worth it in the long run like said before they have excellent customer service and they make a great product. I just wish that there headlight would get re-designed it looks old on the newer sleeker bikes

I will agree with you on this point. It looks at home on my XR650R, but not so good on my CR250R. When I get around to plating the CR I might use a CRF or Polisport headlight with the Baja Designs "brains" mounted behind it. :banghead:

The Baja kits do seem expensive but when I factored in all the time just finding and purchasing the parts to do it myself then having to wire it all it was alot easier and a huge time saver buying the kit and installing it in about an hour.

I have a 1993 XR250R and in 1994 I bought a Baja designs kit for it. The kit installed and worked great. I left it on a few years and took it off because I was only riding off road and didn't need it. A few weeks ago I reinstalled ans it went back on in about 2 hours and works great. I had to get a new battery but that was it. All I know is the kit is complete and works trouble free. My 2 cents.:banghead:

It all depends on what you want and need.

The BD kit is bombproof as evidenced by most of the hard core dualsport guys in Central Oregon.

In something like 40 kits that I have purchased, I has one defective switch and a bad flasher relay.

It costs about $130 to build your own kit with quality components for minimal compliance for DS use.

Personally I have never been pulled over for an equipment check, so you probably dont need a full kit. Then again, it seems that most people can't wire up their own kit...

I agree that the BD kit is kind of expensive, but it is what I went with for my 520MXC. Install was easy and quick. Took me about two hours, but I was going slowly and learning more about my bike while I was working.

I can not speak of the durability, as I put the kit on Saturday. Everything looks to be high quality, so I am not concerned with that aspect of it.

I do like that everything (relays, horn, etc), making it a plug and play affair. The only difficulty I had was getting the wiring to fit when I put the tank back on. Had to try a few times to get the clearance and keep the wires away from hot stuff.

I could have made a kit myself, and surely saved some money. The extra cost was worth it to me for the time saved.

Had it on my XR650R for 2 years. Great support, straight forward to install, works even after lots of miles of off road and DS riding.

Will buy another one for my daughter's bike later this summer.

Mike

Thanks for all the responses, I have decided to make my own kit. However I have purchased the BD tail light and handlebar assembly. From what I got from them, it looks like great quality. I just didn't like the headlights they offer.

I'll state the obvious: New bikes are better than old

Awesome KTM!

I have one on my WR and love it. The wiring harness's were easy to install and it was a simple plug and play. I have had it for more than a year now with 0 problems.