ktm250xcfw up in flames

If you cut the screen out of the airfilter cage (or use a two stroke one) the motor can backfire and start a fire.

I have seen paper towel in an airbox burn from starting a bike with no air filter and paper towel stuffed in the intake, the bike failled to start, backfired and coughed out the towel. Shortly afterwards I spotted the towel was on fire!!

Wow:shocked:Those guys should have tried throwing dirt on it when the water didn't do anything:bonk:

Would one of those really short vent hoses with the little anodized check valve on the end prevent this?

Those little anodized check valves can cause other problems. They can make the tank build pressure and sink the float in the carb. and flood it. The gas tank must vent in both directions.

I think the KTM design is actually pretty good. It directs the gas from the vent hose into the steering head and away from the header. BUT, the angle of the bike has a lot to do with how well it works. I won't eliminate the chance that it gets on the header but in most cases it helps. The newer bikes have a more sophisticated routing of the vent but as we know it just creates other problems and most people end up modifying the stock system so their bike run correctly.

It basically comes down to "sh1t happens".

I also notice the the OP has not replied back. :excuseme:

I also notice the the OP has not replied back. :excuseme:

Very astute. He joined, came on, posted, and apparently walked away - His post was made about 24 minutes before he "last visited" which implies he stopped clicking on TT buttons about 9 minutes after he made the post. Maybe he got busy. I've seen others do that same thing.

There was indeed a race in the NE that day, and indeed there was a ktm that went up in flames based on a source I trust implicitly who was in the race.

I've got no other details on the matter.

Yes stuff does happen sometime to all brands.

• Like 1

i got some pics of the damage today ill post soon. nothing major just the insides of the radiator shrouds, spark plug cable, some of the electrical lines and the clutch line. im messing with the jetting now to see if that helps.

the race was in oil city pa if anyone was there, the situation was alot like the link that was posted to youtube i even used my camel back to put it out not as intense though.

thanks!

where did you race sunday? didn't happen to be evansville did it?

IT was my sons bike that was on fire at evansville it went out on its own no damage done. bike was pushing gas out the cap before the race thinking this is what caused it. bike died (thank built up presser) then flames ended are day. never had a problem with the cap before got a new one to be safe.

IT was my sons bike that was on fire at evansville it went out on its own no damage done. bike was pushing gas out the cap before the race thinking this is what caused it. bike died (thank built up presser) then flames ended are day. never had a problem with the cap before got a new one to be safe.

Be sure to remove the check ball from the cap and do not put one of those little thingy on the vent line. The tank must vent freely in both directions. The check valves may seem like they are working but they will stick sometimes and cause the tank to build pressure. This will sink the float in the carb. and flood it or it may squirt pressurize fuel out of the vent line.

:excuseme:

Be sure to remove the check ball from the cap and do not put one of those little thingy on the vent line. The tank must vent freely in both directions. The check valves may seem like they are working but they will stick sometimes and cause the tank to build pressure. This will sink the float in the carb. and flood it or it may squirt pressurize fuel out of the vent line.

that's what I think happen I have the ball out of the cap but I use a inline vent, going to try venting to ground and taking the inline off . I know two other guys that had gas cap problems that day it was hot out.