UPDATED: Blown Oil Cover

A few weeks ago I posted about my L blowing the oil filter cover off...

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=769889

Today, I changed oil, cleaned air filter and charged battery....

Started up pretty normal....glad to say. Seems to run good...good compression out of the exhaust....

I noticed that when I drained all the oil...it was pretty nasty. The bike only has 1800 miles...I changed oil at 100 miles, then 500 then 1000.....so the oil had about 800 miles on it but was almost sick looking...

Is it possible that installed the oil filter incorrectly and the oil in the engine never got filtered? Then perhaps something sludged up over the winter's sitting, then blew off the cover for the oil filter?

How often should you change oil? oil filter?

The gas in the tank is 6 months old...'bout half a tank...should I drain all, and just put in fresh, or can I top it out with fresh and be ok?

Thanks again....

If the fuel did flood the carb after being left on and then fill the crankcase, as previously suggested, it would cause the oil to breakdown and look pretty nasty. I'd loose the old gas and run a few cycles of fresh oil through, ie. change it and new filter, warm up the motor and repeat, just to make sure the is no varnish from the old gas in the crank case and to make sure there are not metal shavings. If it comes out clean the second go around, I'd go about 100 miles and repeat one more time.

-Joe

1.) Is it possible that installed the oil filter incorrectly and the oil in the engine never got filtered?

2.) How often should you change oil?

3.) oil filter?

4.) The gas in the tank is 6 months old...'bout half a tank...should I drain all, and just put in fresh...

1.) Only you can know if the filter was in backward. The end with the hole and rubber grommet should face out toward the cover. There should be a spring under the back of the filter that pushes it toward the cover so the grommet stays sealed.

2.) This a hot-button question, but without an oil analysis, the general consensus is 1000mi for a 650L. The manual says every 2000mi after the initial 600.

3.) Either every oil change or every other oil change. If I'm reading it correctly, the manual says every 8000mi(!) after the first 600.

4.) Yes, start with fresh fuel. All fresh fuel.

Thanks for following up and glad to hear it's ok. If in doubt, change the oir for sure.

And gas does go bad in the course of one season if not used. I just got a lawnmower going againg by draining ALL the gas out of the carb and lines then refilling.

Your old oil prob did have gas in it.