HELP yz250 01 engine in a 06 frame!!!!

hiya peolpe i really need some help. after sending my 06 250engine off for a rebuild somehow it was lost in the post, so ive had to replace the engine . recently picked up a 2001 engine in good shape, the engine fits into the frame nicly but im having trouble getting the bolt that goes through the swingarm into the engine the bolt is only a couple of ml bigger . any ideas on what to do next??? :banghead:

thanks kyle.

hiya peolpe i really need some help. after sending my 06 250engine off for a rebuild somehow it was lost in the post, so ive had to replace the engine . recently picked up a 2001 engine in good shape, the engine fits into the frame nicly but im having trouble getting the bolt that goes through the swingarm into the engine the bolt is only a couple of ml bigger . any ideas on what to do next??? :banghead:

thanks kyle.

I have an 01 engine in an 06 frame so I know exactly what your talking about.

Get yourself a pin punch and knock out the bushes on either side of the engine where the swingarm pivot bolt should go through but at the moment does'nt. You can do this with the motor in place is you go through the frame holes. They are seperate parts, check them on a parts list.

Then you have two options, replace them with 05+ parts or simply have them machined out to fit your swingarm bolt.

I did the later.

You will also need an 01 kickstart lever.

Good luck.

have someone weld on a 'weld washer' over it and drill it to the right size. That's pretty much your only option unless you feel like drilling out your engine mount!

Not correct, don't do this. Do the job properly as mentioned above.

• Like 1

will everything other than the kick start fit then??? o and the engine was sent away by a family member he didnt wrap it up properly along with the sus , the sus arrived the engine didnt :excuseme:

Yes everything else will fit no problem.

will everything other than the kick start fit then??? o and the engine was sent away by a family member he didnt wrap it up properly along with the sus , the sus arrived the engine didnt ?

You should have the person who sent it off buy you a new 06 motor in the same condition, at least you know it would bolt on with no fabrications needed. If it were me, I would be asking for a whole new bike! :excuseme:

does anybody know where i can buy a kickstart from?
Ebay.

Any kickstart lever from 1988 to 2001 will fit, as they all use the same 3SP "boss".

http://www.cyclepartswarehouse.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=292450&category=Motorcycles&make=Yamaha&year=2001&fveh=7098

The lever arm itself changed shape in 1999, and everything changed in 2002, but you still have a pretty big spread of years to choose from. :excuseme:

And props to BRM for the engine swap solution! :ride:?

Ebay.

Any kickstart lever from 1988 to 2001 will fit, as they all use the same 3SP "boss".

http://www.cyclepartswarehouse.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=292450&category=Motorcycles&make=Yamaha&year=2001&fveh=7098

The lever arm itself changed shape in 1999, and everything changed in 2002, but you still have a pretty big spread of years to choose from. :excuseme:

And props to BRM for the engine swap solution! :ride:?

CaptDan, thank you, man

BRM, why in the Christ did they have to change the kickstart lever? I hate changes like that.

From the sounds of things the old lever was better. Imagine if the 1.50 in r and d work for the lever were sent in another direction????

BRM i did as u advised and orderd new collers, i tried to fit them today but they are to big for the hole in the casing :0 do you think i should just machine out the old collers ?

thanks kyle.

I didn't know they where bigger. That is probably the reason for the different part number from 01-02 engine cases.

Either way I guess, machine down the outer on the new ones or bore the inner on the old ones.

I bored the old ones and haven't had a problem in the last 70 hours of riding.

It is only about 1mm difference.

There is a great mod for the 01 and earlier engines too by the way, makes them much easier to start.

Replace the "Ratchet Wheel Guide" with Part -2NX-15647-00-00, replaces214-15674-00-00. They are about $7.22

This effectively increases your kick start turn over to 2 full revolutions from TDC.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

I did the swap and machined some washers to take up the slack. The ignition black box is another issue to deal with as far as mounting it as it's larger than the 06. I have a fresh motor with correct bushings about to go in with a Max Power 285 top end.

Craigus

Ok but what did you do about the bushings in the back of the engine. I wish I could just take them out and put the right ones in. I put one in before and that was easy I just froze it and it went right in but taken them out is a different story. What do you mean you used washers. Now does the 06 electronics work with the. 01 engine. Can I use the 06 cdi with the 01 engine. Isn't the. 00-01 engines the same as the 06 engine just the bushings and porting are different.