Sign in to follow this  

Sierra NF DEIS, Released today -- 45 days to comment

The Sierra National Forest (Bass Lake, Miami, Whiskey Falls, Jerseydale, Greys Mtn., Shuteye, even all the way down to Pineflatetc.) has finally released the Draft Environmental Impact Statement for the OHV Route Designation (aka Travel Management & other such names).

Sierra NF Travel Management

DEIS

This document is a long one, over 800 pages. The Forest Service has spent the last two years and a lot of your tax payer/green sticker money to produce this document and they have given the OHV public, only 45 days to read, understand and comment on its content and ensure that our trails, roads, and campgrounds are saved from closure.

This would be a mountainous task for somebody that has an intricate understanding of how the documents are written and how to interpret them, let alone the average citizen that is being asked to do this in such a short time frame.

If you love offroading in the Sierra National Forest, please consider attending one or more of the public meetings:

From the Sierra NF:

Public Workshops

In order to help the public understand the contents of the DEIS, the Forest Service will be holding a series of information workshops. All workshops will begin with an Open House from 4:30 pm-6pm. At 6:30 pm will be a presentation on the DEIS, followed by a workshop for those wanting more information. The schedule of workshops is as follows:

Oakhurst-Tuesday, May 5th, Oakhurst Community Center, 39800 Road 425B, Oakhurst, CA.

Madera-Wednesday, May 6th , Madera Community College, Room AV-1-114 A, 30277 Ave 12, Madera, CA.

Visalia-Thursday, May 7th , Visalia Convention Center, Charter Oak Room #D, 303 E. Acequia Ave., Visalia, CA.

Mariposa-Monday, May 11th, Mariposa County Board of Supervisor’s Chambers, 5100 Bullion Street, Mariposa, CA.

Prather-Tuesday, May 12th, Foothill Middle School, Multi-Purpose Room, 29147 Auberry Road, Prather, CA.

Clovis-Wednesday, May 13th, Clovis Veterans Memorial Building, Independence Room, 808 4th Street, Clovis, CA.

If you plan on attending the informational workshops and have a special accessibility need, please contact Sue Exline at (559) 297-0706, ext. 4804 for accommodations.

When attending the DEIS meetings, let every Forest Service Employee that you talk to know how displeased you are at the short time frame you have been given to dissect this document and properly comment on it, and that you insist that the public be given a time extension as some of the other Forests in Region 5 have. This would allow more time for everyone to effectively review the documents and make intelligent comments that will enhance the enjoyment of all users of the forest. Other National Forests in CA have granted time extensions, but only when heavily pressed. 800 pages in 45 days? And a coherent & honest answer to a document two years in the works? Not likely!

I'll get off my soapbox now, but I feel 100% correct in that this whole mess of so-called Route Designation for OHV is nothing but an opportunity for public Land Managers to curtail OHV use. The short of it is that means trails disappear. And due to the cancer of environmental regulations & laws, that pretty much means forever.

I have been involved with interfacing with these gov. folks, and have recently applied for OHV grants and got a taste of that whole thing, and the cards are stacked against us folks. Dirt bikes stand to lose the most because we are the most unrepresented folks. Believe it or not, quad riders are more involved in the Sierra. Squeaky wheel gets the grease, time to start squakin' ...

• Like 1

I have been involved with interfacing with these gov. folks, and have recently applied for OHV grants and got a taste of that whole thing, and the cards are stacked against us folks. Dirt bikes stand to lose the most because we are the most unrepresented folks. Believe it or not, quad riders are more involved in the Sierra. Squeaky wheel gets the grease, time to start squakin' ...

Thanks for all your involvement MCassle! :banghead:

There's a reason that they are only allowing 45 days though......

And we all know what it is.

What a huge waste of taxpayer money and time. It's been shown over and over and over. They are going to do whatever they want to do.

:banghead:

Thanks for all your involvement MCassle! :banghead:

There's a reason that they are only allowing 45 days though......

And we all know what it is.

What a huge waste of taxpayer money and time. It's been shown over and over and over. They are going to do whatever they want to do.

:banghead:

So am I.

Its worth your time to make at least 1 of the meetings. If you can help keep at least one trail or road open, its worth it.

We need comments asking for an extension. Stanislaus National Forest was given an extension as of this afternoon.

The comment can be simple:

"I am requesting that Sierra National Forest extend the comment period by 90 days. The document is over 800 pages and it will take longer than the current time allowed to review and comment on the draft properly. It is a resonable request for additional time considering the fact that it took the Sierra National Forest staff over two years to produce the document.

Several other Forest's have recently release thier drafts as well and it is going to take the public some time to review not just the Sierra's draft but the others as well. Many of the user groups recreate in several National Forests and it will be impossible for a club or group to comment on several different drafts in the time alloted.

Thank you for taking my comments into consideration,

Joe Blough

XYZ Dirt Riders, Member AMA District 36, NRA..................."

Mike Damaso of the Merced Dirt Riders posted his comments for Stanislaus, I thought they were awesome!

Example of a great reply letter:

Stanislaus National Forest

April 28,

19777 Greenley Road

Sonora, CA 95370

Susan Skalski Forest Supervisor

Sskalski@fs.fed.us

Dear: Susan Skalski

This is an official request to extend the comment period another 90 days. This

in light of new information acquired from participants at the April 4 meeting

and working with other groups

Some people have not been able to use the web site because of corrupted files

or it not being fully functional several times.

There is information on the CD that is not on the website. That information

should be revealed on the web or stated there is more information on the CD.

As of April 9, 2009 the 2007 Inventory maps were not available on the web

site.

There is no map showing (in red) what is being closed, which the public would

understand better.

The Eldorado National Forest, followed by Tahoe, Plumas, and most recently the

Sequoia National Forest, have all granted extensions for the public comment

period. All of those forest supervisors understood the need for substantive

comments from the public, and appreciated how difficult it is for the public to

read and understand a document in only a few short weeks, that has taken years

for the forest to produce. There are with some others but we are finding

Stanislaus's is also quite different which will require more time.

We were also occupied with both Sequoia and Inyo DEIS’s until March 31, 09.

Stanislaus needs to extent the comment period sooner than later. Sequoia’s

extension was to late because everyone had to turn in their comments before the

dead line was extended.

We are finding mistakes that were a dispersed campsite is listed open but the

route to get there is closed.

There are no over snow routes for Jeep type 4WD's anywhere on the forest.

There are no “OHV trail” opportunities in zone 1 for wintertime riding.

This document is very complex. The more time I spend on it the more I realize

that we just don't have enough time to explore and analyze it properly to

give substantive comments!!

For those reasons the Stanislaus NF DEIS comment period has to be extended at

least 60 days.

Thank You

Michael Damaso President

Merced Dirt Riders Inc.

1119 East Linwood Ave.

Turlock, CA 95380

cc."Amy Granat" <amy@corva.org>

Lungren's aide: Sandra Weisman: sandra.wiseman@mail.house.gov

Local aide: Josiah Prendergast: josiah.pendergast@mail.house.gov

Herger's aide: Tyler Hamman: tyler.hamman@mail.house.gov Local

aide: Dave Meurer: dave.meurer@masil.house.gov

Radanovich's aide: Lacey Kiriakou: lacy.kiriakou@mail.house.gov Local

aide: Kurt Vanderweide: kurt.vanderweide@mail.house.gov

McClintock's aide: Kristen Glenn: kristen.glenn@mail.house.gov Local

aide: Tim Holabird: hummingbird_t@frontiernet.net

i am going to the madera meeting,anyone else going?

Please send in comments requesting an extension of time. Also, we need to fill up every meeting and ask why we are only going to get 40-77 miles out of 558. This is a total hit job on OHV.

We also need to raise cane about the closures or "decommisioning" of camp grounds and parking areas. Please ask about the "Recreation Niche Plan" that the Forest Service is running under the radar.

What good is it to have trails (what little they are leaving us) if there is nowhere to camp or park? I can tell you right now, they will decommision the campgrounds, allow them to fall into disrepair, then close them because of "resource" damage. From what I can tell is they want to close most campgrounds near streams and creeks, unless of course they are "concessionaire run".

Please get involved, we are going to see one of the largest trail closures in California if we don't act now.

Going Wednesday night! , this may be our last chance. forget where you rode and where you think you are going to ride because if we dont ban altogether we are done!

sjw, I will see you there on wednesday nite:thumbsup:

this might be the" Where Not To Ride "site pretty soon ! Be There !

So did anyone go to the oakhurst meeting?how was it?

So did anyone go to the oakhurst meeting?how was it?

I was there, what a mess! Out of the 280 miles "we" submitted for inclusion to the system, none of them are mentioned in the document.

Another thing is part of the document is missing or some of the information is not included. It will not be available for two weeks, that only gives us about 25 days from when we get it to review and comment.

We need to make comments asking for and extension, we need at least 90 more days, the document is over 800 pages long and then there is the maps!

The original 558 miles of routes is not listed on any of the maps so we have no way to see what was left out by comparing maps.

We need to call our county Supervisors and ask them to get involved. According to the rules, the Forest Service is supposed to include the counties in the process. From what I have been told, niether Fresno or Madera counties were involved nor were they invited to be involved by the Forest Service.

The Forest Service is supposed to take "Ecocnomic Impact" into consideration, but in chapter 3 of the document no imput from the counties or local business owners is mentioned. |Forest Service staff admitted that they did not look at actual data but rather an Forest Service Economic "model".

There was a representitive from Madera County at the meeting and that individual was not happy with what he heard from the FS.

what a croc! why don't they play fair?

Here are some link's i copied from sotsnf, people you can click on these links and demand an extension to the comment period.

Ed Cole SNF: ecole@fs.fed.us

Gayne Sears SNF: gsears@fs.fed.us

Randy Moore Region 5: rmoore@fs.fed.us

Marlene Finley Region 5: mfinley@fs.fed.us

Kathy Mick Region 5: kmick@fs.fed.us

Jim Pena Region 5: jpena@fs.fed.us

I'm going tonight to the Madera meeting. The stupid thing is the closure dates. They want some places open June 5 to Sept. 30. Some are only for two months. Then they gave some closures due to the Norther goshawk from March to Oct or NOv. for breeding season. WHen the young leave the nest at around 35 days. Why do they want 240 days for breeding? Some things are the simple, regular old enivromnetal wacko route to close things. And you guys are right, where is the economic impact stuff? Frustrating. Just got back from Shuteye, still quite a bit of snow around 6,000 ft. Better ride now, might be illegal next year!