Sign in to follow this  

Sierra NF DEIS, Released today -- 45 days to comment

The Bee reporter that interviewed me was a mt. bike rider, riding some of the same trails that I do, some of the same trails that will be shut down (like 007 at Central Camp) ... he was also at the Proposed Action meetings a year & a half ago, so he is familiar with the bs coming from the FS. The article was spot-on in our favor, good press for once :excuseme:

We are trying hard for a time extension, but at this point Ed Coleis hardline about maintaining the current time frame.

DEIS maps are terrible. First thing you need to do is buy a huge magnifying glass, or just zoom into the .pdfs

Links for maps, near the bottom

And notice that our 'user-made, unauthorized trails' as missing. It's like they are not even there! Like magic or something. Well, as much as the FS wants to wish them away, I called them on that b.s. right off the bat. There best reply was to pull of the old maps and make comparisons ... how nice of them! So much for a seamless process. They know most folks will just give up if enough road blocks are put in there way ... we have to call them on this kind of blatant deception.

The #'s are in the article ... we are getting pennies on the dollar, so to speak, on what little the FS is offering the public in the form of off road routes. Keep in mind OHV users are not the only folks effected ... it's everyone that enjoys National Forests.

The turnout at Oakhurst was dismal compared to the meetings a year & a half ago. That place was packed out back then ... what happened?

Your right, so many roadblocks are being thrown in our way....its like people are like "here we go again." Reminds me of the old saying, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. Except looks like some are giving up. Come on people!

I just got home from the visalia meeting.

I didnt read the replys here.

I will say the meetings are EXTREMELY informative. I dont think its nearly as bad as some are making it out to be.

Just go to the next meetings with your questions ready. I will be attending the Clovis meeting once i review the maps more thouroughly.

If you dont go you dont have any room to complain. Inform yourself before you jump to conclusions.

I will say the meetings are EXTREMELY informative. I dont think its nearly as bad as some are making it out to be.

Just go to the next meetings with your questions ready. I will be attending the Clovis meeting once i review the maps more thouroughly.

If you dont go you dont have any room to complain. Inform yourself before you jump to conclusions.

Huh?! Not as bad as some are making it out to be?

Either

1. you don't ride OHV trails in the Sierra

2. you went to a different meeting

3. you really don't understand what the FS is doing

I'd be glad to sit down with you and show you exactly what trails are going away (dependent on the Alt. or combination or Alts.)

did you go to the right place ---- we are getting screwed ! we need ALOT of people to attend! come on and go or you will be rideing in your back yard!

Well this maping must be done. That is not our choice, but the FS must do it. Its not like we will be loosing every trail out there. Not like what the paper makes it out to be, They can take diffrent parts of each map if they choose. I personally am going to go through the trails i typically ride and make shure i make comment to them that the trail number of that would remain open and for the logest period of time. Yes i have some worries, We are going to loose some trails no question. But there is no set in stone map they are using. They can pick and choose.

Look I know you probably are trying to look on the good side.But there isn't one,all they are proposing is closure!What happened to all the comments that were submitted the first time around?It seems none of the comments are being taken into consideration,Now they want us to submit our objections and ideas again. ***? I am going to the meetings,but i truly dislike the forest service,they constanly lie and make it hard for us to fight these closures.

And yes i am a member of brc,sotsnf,sots,ama, d-36 and so on.

I am not giving up the fight but I wish forest service would listen to us.

The fact is this is going to happen There is absoutly nothing we can do about it.

Getting mad at the FS is only going to make them dislike us more. The reactions at the oakhurst meeting (from my understanding it got out of hand) isnt going to get us anywhere. We have to belive what they say now, If they dont listen create an orgizination such as the Friends of Oceano/ Friends of Jawbone, that can sue to make them do what they should. Honestly I feel they dont have the manpower to enforce anything, And we wont see ANY changes for the next 5 years.

I feel for you guys.. Having all that great riding in your backyard, only to have the FS basically do everything but ignore that you are alive must be extremely frustrating. Personally, I've given up on them. They are going to do WHATEVER they want to do. For those that can't see it, I'm sorry. Maybe you're not looking in the right place.

The thing you need to communicate to them is that you will do the same as they are. You will do WHATEVER you feel is best and fair. Let them know that people will CONTINUE to ride those areas. Open, Closed, Restricted or whatever. If they are going to pull this kind of BS, they need to know that as American Citizens, we will fight for our rights - just like we did 200+ years ago.

More power to you. :ride::cry: Do whatever you have to do to keep your trails open and rideable! :excuseme::smirk:

:cry: :cry: to the USFS and BLM.

The fact is this is going to happen There is absoutly nothing we can do about it.

Getting mad at the FS is only going to make them dislike us more. The reactions at the oakhurst meeting (from my understanding it got out of hand) isnt going to get us anywhere. We have to belive what they say now, If they dont listen create an orgizination such as the Friends of Oceano/ Friends of Jawbone, that can sue to make them do what they should. Honestly I feel they dont have the manpower to enforce anything, And we wont see ANY changes for the next 5 years.

There is a local grassroots group dude (Stewards of the Sierra), we were there at the Oakhurst meeting, the Madera meeting, etc. We ARE involved, I've read the documents, I've sat on the FS OHV Roundtables, walked trails at Miami with the Ranger, I'm even through a chapter of that God Awful DEIS they put out. While I admire your head-in-the-sand outlook, I on the other hand see exactly what is being taken away from me, and that is part of my soul ... there is nothing in my life to match the experience I receive from riding.

Dirt bikers stand to lose the most. A lot of really honest to good single track is going away. I can list route #'s if you'd like.

I feel for you guys.. Having all that great riding in your backyard, only to have the FS basically do everything but ignore that you are alive must be extremely frustrating. Personally, I've given up on them. They are going to do WHATEVER they want to do. For those that can't see it, I'm sorry. Maybe you're not looking in the right place.

The thing you need to communicate to them is that you will do the same as they are. You will do WHATEVER you feel is best and fair. Let them know that people will CONTINUE to ride those areas. Open, Closed, Restricted or whatever. If they are going to pull this kind of BS, they need to know that as American Citizens, we will fight for our rights - just like we did 200+ years ago.

More power to you. :ride::cry: Do whatever you have to do to keep your trails open and rideable! :excuseme::smirk:

:cry::p to the USFS and BLM.

Ride dirty!:cry:

Clovis meeting tomarow. Anyone going?? Im taking my maps, and asking why1/2 the trails arnt on the maps. The map i have from the wisky area are from the guy that was hiered to map it out for this project and none of the trails are on it.

I am planning on getting a few people together to review the Maps In the shuteye/whisky area, and Miami trails area. I want to review every trail in those areas, all the alternatives and the season of use. To determine A list of trails of the most trails, and longest season of use for each trail.

Im not trying to make this sime big spectical, Just a few people getting together and trying to make the best of a bad situation.

If you have some knowledge in these areas or have already reviewed these maps please Help me out, I am planning on doing so on Friday night (around 6) the 22 Getting several computers together.

I'm going to do this in my shop in Selma If you would be interested i will give you my address.

I am hopeing to get a list of the exact trail numbers and alternatives to give us the most area to ride.

Nick Lalanne

333 Racing