BMW G450X - problems starting

Definitely take the last point on board! Yeah it's a strange beast the G450. I had a DRZ for about 3 years, great bike loved it until I had a ride on the CRF250x. Found that I was faster on that than the DRZ mainly due to the CRF's suspension and lower centre of gravity. Now my sons taken to my CRF so I bought a G450 and to my last point I love it and hate it at the same time. I've only had it a couple of months (2nd hand 08 model) so to be fair I'm still getting used to it. It's got a light, narrow, mountain goat feel about it, good linear power - there's something about it - but it has some real annoying things - such as the suspension (it's a really hard ride), crap seat, and no kick starter/battery setup.

I've had to push start it in the bush once - that was definitely not fun. The suspension I can get looked at and I suspect if that can improved it will become a great bike.

Definitely take the last point on board! Yeah it's a strange beast the G450. I had a DRZ for about 3 years, great bike loved it until I had a ride on the CRF250x. Found that I was faster on that than the DRZ mainly due to the CRF's suspension and lower centre of gravity. Now my sons taken to my CRF so I bought a G450 and to my last point I love it and hate it at the same time. I've only had it a couple of months (2nd hand 08 model) so to be fair I'm still getting used to it. It's got a light, narrow, mountain goat feel about it, good linear power - there's something about it - but it has some real annoying things - such as the suspension (it's a really hard ride), crap seat, and no kick starter/battery setup.

I've had to push start it in the bush once - that was definitely not fun. The suspension I can get looked at and I suspect if that can improved it will become a great bike.

Yeah I hear you Craig. I had to muck about with the suspension a bit to get it good. The harshness was the first impression that I had found, but dialled that out with less compresion on both fork and shock.

here are some settings that seem to work OK with bigger Blokes

full tank rider 85 kilo full riding gear

The initial sag = the difference between „on stand“ and „on ground“ should be about 40 mm

(38-42mm). Adjust the sag through varying the spring preload using the 2 threaded rings

shown on page 11 (2 full turns of the black threaded ring effects about 5mm of the sag). Secure

the threaded rings by tightening them agains each other! Otherwise they might get loose while

riding.

Possible switch of the spring of the rear suspension to adjust it to the weight of the rider

Weight of rider ~ 80kg -> standard spring (58 N/mm)

Weight of rider over 90kg -> change spring to a 60 N/mm

Weight of rider over 100kg -> change spring to a 62 N/mm or 64 N/mm

Now check the specific sag = difference between bike on the ground without and with rider (feet on the

footpegs). It should be 100-110mm.

Damping rear suspension

Suggested damping setting (completely close the damping by turning it clockwise as much as possible. Then

open it counterclockwise and count the clicks)

Compression : open 8 clicks Rebound: open 16 clicks

Front suspension

Damping

Suggested damping setting (completely close the damping by turning it clockwise as much as possible.

Then open it counterclockwise and count the clicks)

Rebound: open 15 clicks Compression: open 24 clicks (Enduro riding),

open 8 clicks (Moto Cross style riding)

With regard to your flat battery.. have you done the headlight switch Mod, where you can turn the headlight off? I did this when I first got the bike, and have had ZERO starting trouble

Mulga: I've done the 1) headlight switch mod & 2) the kick stand "MulgaMod"!..... what other GX tricks do you have that you're willing to share? Come on, Mulga; out with them ALL!

Bob in AZ/USA

The only other thing I've found is that the allen head bolts in the lower frame and the rear subframe have a tendency to work loose. I pulled them out and reinstalled with Loctite thread adhesive. This seems to have stopped them working loose, but I still check them all at every oil change (it only takes a couple of minutes)

Thx for the heads-up, Mulga! I'll check out my subframe but will have to look to see what lower frame allens you're referring to. With only 10 hrs or so, I need to get WAY more familiar w/my GX.

Btw, if you know KTM's then you know their bolts are barely installed hand-tight from the factory it seems; first order of biz is to tighten/torque/locktite everything that doesn't move on a pumpkin!

Cheers, Mulga. Bob in AZ/USA

• 2 weeks later...

That's good info. I'll do the mod. Ran it flat on the weekend!

I spoke Tekniks suspension at Penrith, Australia. They seemed to know all about the suspension, they have their own designed valve kit with different ports. I'm sending my forks out there this week, I'll let you know if it makes much of a difference.

Craig, go to www.youtube.com & enter search text "G450X Headlight" & it's the first video that comes up.

I watched the vid twice for about 5 mins total then it took less time than that to do this great mod. Turn the sound up & listen to this guy give a simple & thorough explanation. Hope this helps.

Bob in AZ

Craig: I forgot to ask.... the headlight mod narrator mentions this is for USA models & I see you're from Australia. Is your switch prevented from selecting "Off" like the U.S. models? Either way, it only takes about 2 mins to pop the switch cover off & pull the retainer pin.

Bob in AZ/USA

Thanks Bob. I had searched youtube for g450 headlight - needs the x!

It's exactly the same for the Australian model only takes a minute.

Only difference is that down here when you gently lever the switch off it goes flying across your garage and you have to spend five minutes looking for it (must be a southern hemisphere thing ;-)

Ok, Craig, your headlight's done. Now, try the "MulgaMod" (from mulgathumper) for the kickstand! That damnable thing finally stays put now after mulga walked me thru grinding the stand bushing down. So, two good mods & we're always looking for riders to share others.

Btw, in the southern hemisphere, do your wheels spin backwards or what? ?

Bob in AZ/USA

Too true. I've already gotten into a couple of arguements with the service manager about voiding the warranty if I do the work myself. After my 10 hr service (and diagnosing of starter problem), I plan on maintaining the bike myself, regardless of what it does to the warranty.

I'm down here in Tucson and do all the maintenance myself. According to my dealer and BMW NA you can do the maintenance yourself and it does not void the warranty. You just need to be able to show proof of doing the required maintenance to maintain the warranty. So save those recepts.

They've already warrantied 2 kick stand bolts that broke.

The only other issue I've had is the plastic neutral switch broke and caused a slight oil leak. I had them fix that one. Other than that, I've done all my own maintenance including valve adjustment, compression checks and leak down tests.

I have 1700 miles and 65 hours hard hours and no major problems so far. I did just kill a battery though. Replaced under warranty.

The only other thing I've found is that the allen head bolts in the lower frame and the rear subframe have a tendency to work loose. I pulled them out and reinstalled with Loctite thread adhesive. This seems to have stopped them working loose, but I still check them all at every oil change (it only takes a couple of minutes)

Had a similar thing to mine. Here's the damage.

3043_185298195423_559695423_6493418_4916326_n.jpg

3043_185298200423_559695423_6493419_5663346_n.jpg

3043_185298205423_559695423_6493420_5557468_n.jpg

3043_185298210423_559695423_6493421_7091197_n.jpg

Ninja1, do you think that you may have bent the master cylinder for the rear brake inwards towards the swing arm in a crash/tip-over?? I did the same thing on a Suzuki RM several years ago, bent it back out the original location and no problems after that.

Ninja1, do you think that you may have bent the master cylinder for the rear brake inwards towards the swing arm in a crash/tip-over?? I did the same thing on a Suzuki RM several years ago, bent it back out the original location and no problems after that.

Nope. Found out the allen bolts that holds the swingarm on the swingarm bolt that goes through the frame on the pivot point had come lose causing the right side of the swingarm to 'dislodge' itself against the master cylinder causing the chaffing on the weld. ?

remember when doing the pinion sprocket channge to make sure you put some leverage on the right side of the swing arm before tightening the allen bolts.

the manual calls for the swing arm to be pushed hard to the left side of the bike before tightening the pinch bolts. This may have something to do with it. check that the inside face of the swing arm (on the left side facing the countershaft sprocket) has clearance also.

the manual calls for the swing arm to be pushed hard to the left side of the bike before tightening the pinch bolts. This may have something to do with it. check that the inside face of the swing arm (on the left side facing the countershaft sprocket) has clearance also.

tonyl,

the manual is indeed correct! but who reads that? Most of the info on it is hard to find and too time consuming... the diagrams are rather dire aswell.

Here's an update. I did the headlight mod and took it for a good ride in the bush last weekend. Got stuck in the mud a few times so it needed a bit of starting and yep, no problems!! Happy days.

Also I had the suspension reworked at Tekniks (Penrith Australia) they did a great job, they have their own valve kit which they put in and the front is so much more stable now. For the first time I actually enjoyed the riding!!