Sign in to follow this  

Took my Forks apart...please help

I was taking my forks apart to replace the part the rebound screw goes into, since it just turns and turns and turns. This is my first time ever taking a fork apart, but I am failry mechanically inclined. It is a 2003 CRF450

When I unscrewed the top cap, I could pull the entire damper spring and all out on the one with the mest up rebound screw part. All I had to do was unscrew the top cap.

On the broken part, I dont know how to get the 17mm "other part" off of the damper rod. It seems seized and like someone has already tried since the gold plate is somewhat scratched up. How should I get this off and do I need this stuck part AND the bottom rebound bolt to fix this problem.

Again I am not to sure of forks and how all they operate.

Heres some pictures, the broken forks oil was nasty.

truck068.jpg

This is the stuck part on the end of the rod

truck069.jpg

Broken part (does the adjustment screw go into the "stuck part" looks almost like its broke off in there.....

truck070.jpg

Thanks for any and all help would like to be riding this weekend!

:excuseme:

Ok the part is actually broken off inside the push rod which is pressed in a little from the edge so I gotta figure out how to get all this out.

I called the dealership and for that little rebound bolt it is $280!!!!!!!!!!!!! That has got to be a loud of BS right?!?!

truck071-1.jpg <<<<$280

You have some seriously messed up forks! Whoever was in there last didn't know how to take them apart (evidenced by the scratched cartridge rod), not put them back together (since it's obvious the cartridge rod separated from the base bolt.

The dealership is only going to sell you a complete cartridge assembly. The individual parts are available through most suspension tuning shops - like MX-Tech.

You have some seriously messed up forks! Whoever was in there last didn't know how to take them apart (evidenced by the scratched cartridge rod), not put them back together (since it's obvious the cartridge rod separated from the base bolt.

The dealership is only going to sell you a complete cartridge assembly. The individual parts are available through most suspension tuning shops - like MX-Tech.

Ok I will call some suspension shops.

Do I need a hole new cartrigde rod and push rod and the base bolt??? Or can I just get the base bolt?

Thanks for helping!

Looks like you need the cartridge rod, adjustment rod and base bolt.

What is the adjustment rod?

Looking at the good fork it looks like I should have more threads left on the cartridge rod, but I dont know where they are, unless they broke off and the previous owner just tossed them.

I think motosport also sells these OEM part now too. Sorry to hear your misfortune:(

I might just end up buying a set of new forks off ebay for around $300. Then I have a hole setup. It is dumb to pay $200+ for parts when I can get others off ebay for $100 more and have new forks, or gently used.

Will 05+ forks work fine on here, then I get the benefit of newer model forks, and working forks and I can sell mine on ebay for atleast $200.

same thing happened to my kyb twin chamber forks on my yz250f. i got my parts from smart performance for $80. you should call dave, im sure he has some showa connections.

I think it was '05 when they changed the axle offset. Your '03 has a 24mm (I think) triple clamp offset. Newer model forks will fit, I'm just not sure how the different offsets will affect the handling.

What is the adjustment rod?

The adjustment rod is the "D" shaped aluminum rod that connects the adjuster in the base bolt to the needle in the rebound tap.

same thing happened to my kyb twin chamber forks on my yz250f. i got my parts from smart performance for $80.

Kayaba parts are cheaper than Showa - at least here in Europe...

Do I need a hole new cartrigde rod and push rod and the base bolt???

Give Richard (rks1) a call and let him take care of your fork - he already helped you anyways.

This way you can make sure it get fixed on a professional basis.

If you want to get the parts by yourself, take care that you get those Showa parts for a Honda and not Suzuki - different dimensions!

OK I will give him a call. I was just going to get a whole fork setup off ebay for around $300 but if I can do it for $80 thats obvioulsy the route to go. I do not need the hole cartridge, just the rod. The actuall cartridge is fine. I just cannot find that rod anywhere. My adjuster rod looks to be in ok shape, but those shouldnt be more then $10 so Ill just pick one up to.

Thanks for all the help ill let yall know what happens!

What part of Georgia are you in................I have a rod and the adjuster rod.

I'm in Douglasville, about 20 miles west of Atlanta.

I am in Norcross just north of exit 31 off of 285, duluth, fulton, gwinnet area. Ill PM you