Sign in to follow this  

Anyone geared-up their RMZ 450 for the road?

I'm new to this site, i hope i'm posting in the right spot...

I just bought an '05 RMZ 450 plated, titled, and set up already with lights. So my intent is to make this as "dual-sport" as possible...mainly by switching the front sprocket from a 14 to 15 tooth, and possibly dropping a couple teeth in the rear as well... So my concern is whether this bike is capable of graduating to higher sustained speeds, without throwing a fortune into it, or is it a dead end?

I know this may be a stretch with only 4 speeds, but i just love how lightweight (and affordable) this bike is...perfect for riding ON and TO the trails...maybe? Any advice?

Thanks much

You are in the right place. The 4 speed z450's can handle higher speed gearing, but how fast do you need to go?

i'd like to like to do a consistent 65, up to 75mph when needed. I'm not too worried about losing much low end torque, which i know will happen...

its a single cylinder so just make sure not to keep it at 65 or 70 for a long period of time... vary your speed... I had a 06 husky 450 sm and i would ride it to work which is about 30 ish miles on the 5 freeway here in so cal so thats like 80mph+... Id rarely go that fast but every sm guy i ever talked with told me to vary my speed because these bikes are built for that.. its a MX bike which never is at the same speed for much more then seconds at a time... Id hate to see you blow it up.....

make sure you use good oil and still do all your changes on time or early... heat is the killer and consistent speed will do it to you.. my buddy was riding his converted ktm sm next to me and his blew up...

just my 2cents..good luck

I had a feeling that would be a problem...starting to think i should have bought something a little bigger...this bike is just too much fun on the trails!

Thanks for the insight,

-ben

If you are going to take this thing out to the interstate (which I don't think anyone would recommend) you probably need to look at a cush drive rear hub too. That tranny was not designed for extended peroids of %100 traction like you would get on the street. Not sure I'd want to hit a pot hole at 60mph, on the 450 with the steepest head angle either. RAD has the cush hubs if you must, good luck.

My roadracing 2005 RMZ450 has 16/38 gearing and pulls strong to over 100mph. Has seen 110mph.

I put together an entire street legal kit for mine, but havn't had a chance to throw it on. Now my wife is pressuring me to sell, doh!

I got new plastics, (black) and Acebis headlight, magnet wire #18 for the rewind, brake switch, signal lights, fornt and rear sprocket 13,14,15,16/47, Trailtech Vapour, signal switch for turn lights and headlight, brake lights and plate holder and a few other things to make it street legal...

And now Im just looking at it! :worthy:

I put together an entire street legal kit for mine, but havn't had a chance to throw it on. Now my wife is pressuring me to sell, doh!

I got new plastics, (black) and Acebis headlight, magnet wire #18 for the rewind, brake switch, signal lights, fornt and rear sprocket 13,14,15,16/47, Trailtech Vapour, signal switch for turn lights and headlight, brake lights and plate holder and a few other things to make it street legal...

And now Im just looking at it! :worthy:

You were going to rewind your stator/magneto? yourself?