NC Screws Us Again/ATV/Dirbike Bill

Well everyone now is the time to call and email your state legislator.

The So Called "Off Highway Vehicle Trust Fund" name has been changed. It is now called the ATV and Motorcycle Off Road Fund. The word "Trust" has been removed also the word "NonReverting" which means that the State of NC can use this money for anything else they want and it will not be REQUIRED that the money WE PAY when we register, title, and tax our atvs and dirtbikes be used for building 2 new State Run Off Highway Vehicle Riding Areas or anything else that will benefit the Off Raod Riding Community. If you were fooled enough to believe that this would ever happen here is the proof that shows that the chance it will, has less a chance than a snowball in Hell. Please, please , please go to www.ncga.state.nc.us and enter in the Bill look up box in the lower right hand corner H86 and read for yourselves. Also now is the time to tell you that the North Carolina Motorcycle Dealers Association is the group responsible for this Bill even being in existance. If you bought or buy your dirtbikes or atvs outside of NC and do not pay NC sales Tax the State loses the Tax Revenue. Also if you went outside of NC to buy your atv or dirtbike the dealers lose a sale to an out of state dealer. If all things are equal such as the retail price from dealer to dealer and the only difference is the 7% sales tax you save, then you have not only hurt the dealer trying to make a living you have finally hurt yourselves with this new law getting reading to strike. Under these circumstances if I were a dealer I believe I would push for this new law too. But I am not so get off your collective butts and get political. If we can not muster enough people to call and protest this new "TAX" and get our lawmakers to stop then we will be forced to pay more for what we already have and get absolutely nothing in return for OUR HARD EARNED DOLLARS.

Richard Mull

At least they changed the name of the bill before they passed it....I am sure it will pass- they need the money. Every other state with the atv and dirt bike registration "trust fund" for trail construction just went in and stole the money once it had accum ulated a good sum..no explaination to the people, no accountability. They just took it. It was something like 20 million dollars in new york that was set aside for trail construction. The democrat governor just went in and took the money and nobody ever mentioned a trail system again

I am going to call my local reps, already got the #'s, but I would like to send a very good email to the others. I am not great at putting my thoughts down in a tactful, stern manner, nor do I have time at work.

Can someone post up a letter that would work, at least as something to add to, that we can all send to our reps?

Their emails are listed on the website, so a blitz email session is easy.

I also think we are about to be bent over. I decided to take a different approach to it. Rather than just saying don't do it, I addressed specific concerns.

This is what i sent to both of my representatives.

First let me thank you for your service. I know it is not always an easy task to represent you constituents. I have some concerns over HB 86, ATV and Motorcycle Off Road Fund. I have reviewed the text and have several concerns.

1. How does a person register an ATV or off road motorcycle without a bill of origin? I currently own several dirt bikes that are over ten years old and I no longer have any of the original documentation. I also own an atv that I purchased second hand from e-bay that again does not have any original documentation. The bill as written makes no provisions for this situation.

2. The cost for me seems to be out of proportion for what my anticipated use. I can only operate one vehicle at a time. However, I own four vehicles covered under the bill. So the way I see it I will be taxed four fold annually to partake in my recreation. My real question is why not implement a sliding scale of payment. Something similar to what my automobile tax is. Is a 14 year old car taxed annually on the same scale as a new one?

3. The bill also contains vague language as to promoting maintenance/construction of riding areas. Name me one public, state owned or sanctioned place in Eastern North Carolina where I can legally operate an ATV/off road motorcycle. I am considered an enthusiast and know of no such place. There is a small area national forest open to use but this is federal and not state operated. I normally operate my vehicles in the Uwharrie National Forest or on private courses.

In closing I do not object to supporting my choice of recreation. I actually purchase an annual pass to the federally operated Uwharrie and Brown Mountain trails in NC, and the Hatfield and McCoy trails operated by the state of Virginia. I feel that the monies are directly used to support the actual riding areas. I am concerned that the NC bill does not adequately address supporting keeping riding accessible to the public.

I also think we are about to be bent over. I decided to take a different approach to it. Rather than just saying don't do it, I addressed specific concerns.

First let me thank you for your service. I know it is not always an easy task to represent you constituents. I have some concerns over HB 86, ATV and Motorcycle Off Road Fund. I have reviewed the text and have several concerns.

1. How does a person register an ATV or off road motorcycle without a bill of origin? I currently own several dirt bikes that are over ten years old and I no longer have any of the original documentation. I also own an atv that I purchased second hand from e-bay that again does not have any original documentation. The bill as written makes no provisions for this situation.

2. The cost for me seems to be out of proportion for what my anticipated use. I can only operate one vehicle at a time. However, I own four vehicles covered under the bill. So the way I see it I will be taxed four fold annually to partake in my recreation. My real question is why not implement a sliding scale of payment. Something similar to what my automobile tax is. Is a 14 year old car taxed annually on the same scale as a new one?

3. The bill also contains vague language as to promoting maintenance/construction of riding areas. Name me one public, state owned or sanctioned place in Eastern North Carolina where I can legally operate an ATV/off road motorcycle. I am considered an enthusiast and know of no such place. There is a small area national forest open to use but this is federal and not state operated. I normally operate my vehicles in the Uwharrie National Forest or on private courses.

In closing I do not object to supporting my choice of recreation. I actually purchase an annual pass to the federally operated Uwharrie and Brown Mountain trails in NC, and the Hatfield and McCoy trails operated by the state of Virginia. I feel that the monies are directly used to support the actual riding areas. I am concerned that the NC bill does not adequately address supporting keeping riding accessible to the public.

John, I like your letter. But, I don't want to give them any more ideas on how to accomplish the questions you pose. LOL

There is no way they can get ALL the bikes and ATV's registered. What are they going to do if we don't?

Can someone post up another letter? I would like to merge a couple to really drive home our point.

Gmoss,

I visit Minnesota every summer and simply can not ride my 99yz on the state OHV trails legally. They will not issue me a DNR (state pass) without the original documentation. I can pay for a pass and ride my DRZ because it is road registered in NC. Go figure.

I also figure that they will somehow pass some sort of tax bill and want to try and minimize the impact and want the monies spent on riding areas.

Gmoss,

I visit Minnesota every summer and simply can not ride my 99yz on the state OHV trails legally. They will not issue me a DNR (state pass) without the original documentation. I can pay for a pass and ride my DRZ because it is road registered in NC. Go figure.

I also figure that they will somehow pass some sort of tax bill and want to try and minimize the impact and want the monies spent on riding areas.

well, we all know that none of the collected money will EVER be spent for us. There are no state parks for OHV, nor will there ever be. I do bet that they spend some on enforcement, making our lives harder.

I just really don't see how they will ever be able to make it retroactive. I ride on private property for the most part and won't loose sleep if I can't go to Brown, though it's a national park. What will they do if myself and the millioins of used bike and ATV owners just choose not to register?

my letter is going to ask how i am supposed to pay this new tax after they just cut my pay 8.5% due to the "budget crisis"...pisses me off to no end. the amount of money that the state wastes on a hourly basis is unreal. good letter john, but its more of a compromise. i feel that this issue doesnt need to be compromised. its wrong and unfair. just my opinion.

my letter is going to ask how i am supposed to pay this new tax after they just cut my pay 8.5% due to the "budget crisis"...pisses me off to no end. the amount of money that the state wastes on a hourly basis is unreal. good letter john, but its more of a compromise. i feel that this issue doesnt need to be compromised. its wrong and unfair. just my opinion.

I feel ya Greg. post up your letter if you write one. Please.:excuseme:

GMoss, here is my first draft letter. let me know what you think

Dear Legislator ,

Thank you for using your elected power to find a way to create more revenue for the state of NC. As you know, the state needs more money because it takes so much to piss away on a daily basis. I am very excited about the new bill that would require a registration plate on a 4 wheeler and a dirt bike. Its a big problem for us when we are riding on private property because we cant see who is riding on our land. With this bill , we will be able to get a tag number and report it to the police for people that ride to fast on our "private" property. This bill just makes sense! Moped's dont need to have a tag or insurance , or even be reported to the department of revenue for yearly taxation, so it only makes logical sense to require a dirt bike that isnt legally allowed to ride on a state road to have a tag!!! Good thinking guys and keep up the work! In time you folks in Raleigh will have us out of debt!! Also , thanks for cutting my pay 8.5% and going up on my insurance. Maybe you could just make it a even 10% pay cut next year? Also maybe you could make the insurance and even $550 a month for a family. Its really annoying having $527 come out of my check every month, just go ahead and round it up ! Its only fair that he budget cuts dont effect you guys. Its neat how you dont have to take the pay cut because you are a law maker!!! Well I got to go Mr/Mrs. Representative , my kids are trying to eat the muffler on there xr-50, and little johnny has the timing chain in his mouth. Also, are the tags going to be smaller for the little bikes? It would look funny have a big tag on the back of the pw-50. Anyways, thanks again!!!

GMoss, here is my first draft letter. let me know what you think

Dear Legislator ,

Thank you for using your elected power to find a way to create more revenue for the state of NC. As you know, the state needs more money because it takes so much to piss away on a daily basis. I am very excited about the new bill that would require a registration plate on a 4 wheeler and a dirt bike. Its a big problem for us when we are riding on private property because we cant see who is riding on our land. With this bill , we will be able to get a tag number and report it to the police for people that ride to fast on our "private" property. This bill just makes sense! Moped's dont need to have a tag or insurance , or even be reported to the department of revenue for yearly taxation, so it only makes logical sense to require a dirt bike that isnt legally allowed to ride on a state road to have a tag!!! Good thinking guys and keep up the work! In time you folks in Raleigh will have us out of debt!! Also , thanks for cutting my pay 8.5% and going up on my insurance. Maybe you could just make it a even 10% pay cut next year? Also maybe you could make the insurance and even $550 a month for a family. Its really annoying having $527 come out of my check every month, just go ahead and round it up ! Its only fair that he budget cuts dont effect you guys. Its neat how you dont have to take the pay cut because you are a law maker!!! Well I got to go Mr/Mrs. Representative , my kids are trying to eat the muffler on there xr-50, and little johnny has the timing chain in his mouth. Also, are the tags going to be smaller for the little bikes? It would look funny have a big tag on the back of the pw-50. Anyways, thanks again!!!

Having lived 30 yrs in the liberal paradise of New York, I am a little ahead of the curve on the way these things go. Don't joke about the lisence plate and phoneing in plate numbers of speeding ATV's and bikes. It is right around the corner once the gub'ment gets its big nose into ORV use: the new york city liberal scum who run the state imposed a 55mph speed limit on snowmobiles ....on trails!! They do enforce it with speed traps and probably generate a bunch of revenue too.

GMoss : it will be a long process to get all the bikes and ATV's registered, but the truth is that they don't care all that much about the old bikes running around: they will make it mandatory that the selling dealer registers each unit and passes on the fees to the new owner prior to delivery

. Another benefit for big government is that you will no longer be able to cross into an adjoining state to buy your machines and duck out of the sales tax: you will be liable for sales tax on machines purchased out of state unless you can prove you paid taxes in that state

and on the matter of registration of older bikes for which there is no paperwork: on much older machines, a simple VIN rubbing and recipt may do, provided there are no hits on the VIN (not stolen) they can/may issue a registration. I am talking 1980's machines. A lot of 1990's and 2000-on bikes with no paperwork may simply become illegal to ride...technically speaking.

this is how it goes in new york

dont blame me: i could not stand it there...

Hey guys we need to post this information to every off road website we can find in North Carolina. We need the ATV riders helping on this one too. I tried to log onto atvnc.com to give their site this information but for some reason I was unable to get into the website.

Did anyone read all the pages of H86 and did you see what I have seen?

The NC State trails committee hasn't gotten any OHV trails built since this group was first put together. I want a job with a title that I don't have to do anything.

About the only thing we will see out of this money grab is the money for lawdogs to do the atv/bike registration enforcement and ticketing.

Dont mean to criticize,but the Hatfield and McCoy trial system is in West Virginia. Not Virginia...