Sign in to follow this  

need help... bike won't run under load.

any ideas why it won't run under load? it will start and idle (roughly)

new stator less than 50 mi. ago and ran great. then one day last week on my way to work, it just started spitting and popping so i drained the old gas, cleaned the carb (looked shinny), new spark plug, new cdi last night and its still doing it. :excuseme:

any suggestions would be appreciated! :smirk:

Those were my exact symptoms, idle was rough, poping and skipping a bit, touch the throttle and stall. It was my carb. Real good cleaning removing jets, blowing out everything with compressed air and I'm back in business.

Mike -

Check for air leaks around the carb boots. I had another similar issue years ago on a different bike and the carb was sucking air. Tightened the clamp and that fixed that problem.

Mike -

P.s. Be careful using the carb cleaner, I've read the gaskets don't like it? I soaked the jets in carb cleaner and used wd40, a brush and compressed air on the housing etc.. Maybe there's a friendlier carb cleaner?

just an update, it was a dirty carb. I cleaned it, it ran great for 2.8 mi. then it did it again. its time to clean the gas tank (and carb, again). i am getting pretty good at it, i can pull the carb in about 15 mins now.

is there a walk through for cleaning the carb?

mine is over flowing some times if I forget to turn it off, and the pavement takes a soaking!