Sign in to follow this  

How dangerous to overfill oil a tad? "Noob attempts oil change"

How dangerous to overfill oil a bit with the DRZ400?

Did my first oil change about a week back and I think I may have overfilled it a bit. It's supposed to take 1.9 quarts. I eyed it and put in just less than the full two quarts I had. Sometimes when I check it though the oil seems to be up past the max mark on the sick by a little bit.

How dangerous could it be for me to have road it this way and are there any types of damage I can check for?

The only possible issue I've noticed in operation is that sometimes the gearshift sticks to neutral instead of going to 2nd gear. This only seams to happen when the bike is not warmed up much yet. Could this be related? Is it something to worry about on it's own?

+1 I use two quarts and overfill a tad. Don't worry about it 1 bit, just ride!

Oh, and the gear shift issue is normal. Atleast on our two DRZ's and from what I've read on here.

I use two quarts, seems to be pretty common from what I've read on this forum.

You may want to check that your clutch is adjusted correctly. I've had trouble getting my bike into neutral if the clutch is out of adjustment. Maybe sticking in neutral could be caused by an adjustment? :excuseme:

I dump in 2 quarts myself! You're all good. Already done like 8 oil changes on my bike and haven't had one problem.

Thank yous all. *wipes the sweat off his brow*:excuseme:

This looks like a really great forum here.

Does "Thumper" stand for a single cylinder?

I was just looking in my manual and noticed it mentions an oil filter spring I'm

not sure I checked. It didn't end up in my dirty oil pan, just checked it. Ya'll

reckon I should do another oil change just to check it?

I did replace the one o-ring. This is an 09sm.

In the DRZ400 FAQ it also mentions replacing the crush sealing washer and

cleaning the oil line screen. Two things I did not do during my first 50 mi oil

change. Should I be worried about these, another reason to do an early oil

change?

Possibly related note, I have found a smidgen of oil collecting on my rear-most

oil drain bolt. Any ideas if this is normal?

perfect timing on this thread - i just over-filled my oil a bit on my '04 E and was worried - thanks !

i thought thumper referred to a single cylinder 4-stroke ?

Thank yous all. *wipes the sweat off his brow*:snore:

This looks like a really great forum here.

Does "Thumper" stand for a single cylinder?

thumper comes from the old single cylinders before they figured out how to counterbalance the one piston and smooth the ride... if you could imagne it was sorta like ridin a jackhammer :doh:

I was just looking in my manual and noticed it mentions an oil filter spring I'm

not sure I checked. It didn't end up in my dirty oil pan, just checked it. Ya'll

change?

You are fine dude! No worries. Just make an effort to check it next time

change?

IMO It's a good idea to change the conical crush washers....they are intended for one time use and they are super cheap. Some choose to re-use with no ill effects ...and some have had the drain hole boss break......your choice.

I just read about the danger of putting the oil plug crush seal washer on backwards. Didn't pay attention to this when I did my oil change. And yes reused the old washer not knowing it was recommended to change it. How bad could this be?

My rear-most oil drain plug apparently didn't come with a washer, again 09 model, even though I see some reports on older bikes having crush washers on both drain plugs. Could this be normal for 09s?

I didn't think there could be so many ways for me to possibly fudge an oil change. Looks like an early oil change is in the cards.

IMO It's a good idea to change the conical crush washers....they are intended for one time use and they are super cheap. Some choose to re-use with no ill effects ...and some have had the drain hole boss break......your choice.

So you guys dump in 2 quarts, even tho it says only 1700ml, sweet that makes my life easier then measuring all the damn time.

I just read about the danger of putting the oil plug crush seal washer on backwards. Didn't pay attention to this when I did my oil change. And yes reused the old washer not knowing it was recommended to change it. How bad could this be?

My rear-most oil drain plug apparently didn't come with a washer, again 09 model, even though I see some reports on older bikes having crush washers on both drain plugs. Could this be normal for 09s?

I didn't think there could be so many ways for me to possibly fudge an oil change. Looks like an early oil change is in the cards.

There is probably a washer on that bolt but it's smashed so you can't see it. (mine were like that) You'll be ok reusing it but I'd replace them on the next change. It's more to keep you from tearing stuff up than anything else. Keep an eye on your oil level and make sure you've snugged everything up well and it'll be fine, just don't overtighten the plugs...:doh:

So you guys dump in 2 quarts, even tho it says only 1700ml, sweet that makes my life easier then measuring all the damn time.

Yep, no real need to measure it. Just dump 2 qts and go...:doh: