Sign in to follow this  

Turn Signal, Spring Questions

Debating whether I should buy the Sicass rear fender and flush mount rear signals so I can run my FMF pipe, or whether I should spend the money on springs. First problem with springs is I'm nervous about changing the fork springs myself, the second problem is that I don't really know what springs to use and the Racetech site seems a little screwy. Like the springs it lists as "stock" aren't correct as far as I know. If anybody has any suggestions, I am 230 lb. w/o gear and ride trail mostly, but I don't mind it being a little stiff since I might like to be able to learn to "jump" a little, as well as fool around in a gravel pit some.

On the fender, the flush mounts are LED. Does this mean I also need to change the fronts to LED's and then change the flasher to work with the LED's, or do some people just change the back or what? I assume the rear fender that everyone talks about is the KTM "Easyfit Underfender." Looks kind of crude compared to the stock one, and it looks like you lose the handgrips underneath also but oh well.

what bike are you on?

You should do both the springs and the lights. the lights will either break or melt off if you don't do them, and the springs well... you won't be riding to your full potential with incorrect suspension.

rear spring is a little easier to do than the front ones, but both are totally doable by you. You might even go for re-valving if the springs don't do the trick. A re-valve is also doable by you but much more involved... most people just send stuff out for re-valve.

not sure about the race tech calculator, but I've had success there before. you could call a couple of suspension shops if you don't trust the race tech calculator... what info makes you believe it's not correct?

Sorry it's in the signature. 2009 530 EXC. 230 without gear.

To elaborate on the turn signal question, does anyone ever run rear LED's and keep the stock ones up front? The Sicass site says I don't need the LED relay if I only have the rear LED's but I'm suspicious.

To elaborate on the turn signal question, does anyone ever run rear LED's and keep the stock ones up front? The Sicass site says I don't need the LED relay if I only have the rear LED's but I'm suspicious.

FWIW - I installed the Sickass rear flush mount signals with this rear tail light kit:

https://www.ktm-parts.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=K&Product_Code=78014040044&Category_Code

Says 08 but it fit perfect on my 09 530 EXC. I had to make a small plate mount for the license plate. I kept the front stock signals and everything works great. Sickass flush mounts have the correct plug ends. Simple pulg in installation. I used some silicone on the back of the flush mounts to help hold in place.

Hope this helps,

Steve

Sicass rear fender, tail light, & blinkers with OEM front blinkers ....no problem.

Once you find the correct spring rate, changing the fronts out is no very difficult.

You will aslo need to go with a stiffer rear as well. Again not that hard to do.

IMG_0005-9.jpg

IMG_0002-13.jpg

Nice looking bike. Is that the Acerbis 3.4?

I was checking the manual and it appears if you do the conversion from 4.6 n/mm that the stock springs are .469 kg/mm. Perhaps I'm doing the conversion incorrectly, but .469 to .48 just doesn't seem like enough to bother with. I'm going to ride it some more and see what I think. I've probably only put 50 miles on in the dirt...spend a lot more time thinking about and working on it then I do riding it...at least so far.

I'm running the Sicass LED stuff on the rear of my '07 and kept the stock

front signals. They blink a little fast, but they still work. IMO, I think the faster

flash rate gets more attention. :doh: