Sign in to follow this  

Think about getting a 525EXC

I'M just visiting from the Honda XR650L side of the forum.

I've always wanted a big KTM thumper but could only afford a Honda. (Not that there's anything wrong with that but they don't call them Pigs for nothing).

Is the KTM525 a good choice or should I spend $$$$$$$$on a new 530?

What kind of problems with this model can I expect?

What does it way and how much HP?

My Pig ways around 330lb and puts out only 34HP.

I don't know the horsepower off hand, but my 07 is by far the best bike I have ever owned. The 07 needs a few changes to make it run right, (due to the leaness of being street legal) but it is an absolutely fantastic bike. Mine has some extras on it and wieghs in at about 300.

If you choose the bike carefully, you cannot go wrong with an '03 - '07 525 EXC. The nice thing about the '07 is that it is street legal from the factory which is especially beneficial in CA.

You won't regret buying a 525/530. I assume you will want a plate coming from a 650L so your choice is an '07 525 or '08/09 530.

If you buy a new bike you will also need to purchase a skid plate, rad guards, probably some different turn signals (the stock units don't hold up well to offroading) and maybe a different rear under fender (the stock part hangs the license plate too low and it gets into the tire).

The stock intake valves in the 525's are a bit soft and require frequent valve check/adjustments unless they have been replaced with aftermarket parts. The stock valves apparently last approx. 2-300 hours. I have almost 200 hours on my bike and still have plenty of adjustment left. The 530's have a different valve adjustment (shims instead of screws) and I assume different valve material as I've not heard many complain of having to do as frequent of valve checks. That said, the 525 is a great bike but you will need to stay on top of your maintenance. I change the oil on 10 hour intervals and check the valves at 15. The stock dashboard includes a hour meter so it's easy to keep track of time.

As far as horsepower, the figure I've heard is approx. 50 hp and the bike ready to ride is approx. 280 pounds. Both a nice improvement from your XR.

Thanks for the replies. I just picked up a Plated 06 with just under 350 miles on it. I believe it too. The guy is the original owner and the bike is in perfect condition. Still has the original tires and The rear sprocket shows hardly any signs of wear.

Oh Yea...is $5,300. a good deal?

If you are happy abput it then that is all that matters, congrats, I know I will never buy another jap bike, gotta love the ktm.

One of my riding buddies has an '05 525EXC that he bought new, still riding it. He rides a LOT and so far has done nothing but normal routine maintenance, tire and sprocket/chain replacements and a couple of valve adjustments.

An '06 plated in Cali? How'd he do that?

I didn't. I bought it like that.

Ok, I just tried it out yesterday. OMG! Now I know why they call the XR650L a Pig!

I came from an XR650R to my 530. That was a big difference. I can only imagine coming from the L to the 525!