Sign in to follow this  

getting a 09 rmz450 next week, anything i should know?

alright guys

getting a brand new rmz450 next week, its my first 450. is there any tips about the bike or any problems or things i should look out for?

cant wait to get out riding it

cheers

Ah your in the UK not as plentiful over there too bad. Look up melted t fitting super bummed thread or Meltdown thread for info on the plastic t in the radiator lines that keeps melting down. Other than that no other big problems.

when you get it take it apart and lube up all the suspension pivot points and any other part that should of been done at the factory cuz they didn't do it.

had my new 09 for 3 weeks now after i toasted my 06

the bike is awesome ,and so much easier starting..so responsive

Fluids and lube, double check everything, dont trust a dealer.

Remember the first kick charges the capacitor, second releases the fury! As mentioned replace the t-fitting, and finally ride it like you stole it, motoman break in FTW! Dont start it and let it idle to hear it run or show it off, start, let it warm up, then get on it and ride it, very the rpm's and seat those rings.

I promise a stronger engine and longer lasting engine that the same bike broken in the way the manual tells you too.

Definitely loctite all the bolts and grease the entire bike. I have a buddy that got a leftover 08 with an 09 engine and one of the fork tube bolts fell out and he went over the suspension, kick starter, and steering stem with a good grease. If the suspension feels funny take it to the dealer asap, dont continue to ride it. He took his shock and forks to a very reputable suspension guy, he said that there was a problem and the bike had 4 hrs on it. Trying to bleed the fork it would leak down he was told it was the cartridge and his cost was around $400. Suzuki and the dealership that he has bought his last 3 suzuki bikes from told him tough luck. The suspension guy further overlooked the problem and it turns out that there was the wrong sized o-ring on some part.

I havent read the manual for breaking in the dirtbike engines but as far as the car engines I have built, you break then in like they are going to be driven. If its a race engine, we made sure there were no problems and broke it in on the dyno. Obviously you dont have to tune this bike though.

Grease everything before riding. When starting yo need to kick it solidly and fully, ie start with the kickstarter completely upwards and at TDC. It will take a few kicks to charge the capacitor and then a few swift kicks with no throttle and it will fire right up.

thanks guys, getting it sat and i cant wait. im coming back to the 4stroke after having a yz250. ive always been on 250fs before but after i toasted my 4th one my dad made me switch back to the 2stroke but ive finally managed to talk him into gettin me a 450 :doh:

yea ill be checkin the bike over as soon as i get it. the dealer im gettin it from is one of the best suspension shops over here so im gettin the suspension valved up and springs before i pick the bike up.

thanks for the advise guys

thanks guys, getting it sat and i cant wait. im coming back to the 4stroke after having a yz250. ive always been on 250fs before but after i toasted my 4th one my dad made me switch back to the 2stroke but ive finally managed to talk him into gettin me a 450 :doh:

yea ill be checkin the bike over as soon as i get it. the dealer im gettin it from is one of the best suspension shops over here so im gettin the suspension valved up and springs before i pick the bike up.

thanks for the advise guys

must be nice

I just came off an 08 YZ250 2 stroke and picked up a new RMZ. The only thing I will miss is the EASY and CHEAP maintenance........

Wait, your 20 years old and DAD is buying you your 5th bike......?

yea :doh::snore:

but im paying him half back with monthly payments cause im at university so cant hold a full time job.

yea :doh::snore:

but im paying him half back with monthly payments cause im at university so cant hold a full time job.

I would do the same for my son when he hits college...at least you are going.

When checking/locktighting your bolts don't forget the rear mud guard bolts at the top, you will lose them first ride otherwise.

Pay attentiuon to what the guys are saying about starting, I couldn't start mine until I read the manual LOL, now 2nd kick every time from cold, 1 from hot.

Oh and don't break your ankle the third time you ride it, not sure what's more painful not being able to ride the shiny rmz in the garage or the ankle!

When checking/locktighting your bolts don't forget the rear mud guard bolts at the top, you will lose them first ride otherwise.

Pay attentiuon to what the guys are saying about starting, I couldn't start mine until I read the manual LOL, now 2nd kick every time from cold, 1 from hot.

Oh and don't break your ankle the third time you ride it, not sure what's more painful not being able to ride the shiny rmz in the garage or the ankle!

SNAP! :snore:

Makes more sense on the age question, My daughter turned 2 today, and yeah as a present or just fun i would probably do the same thing. Graduate with honors, snag a kickass job right out of school, and buy him something in return. Wait 8 years, get married (seriously WAIT on getting married, and ALWAYS PULL OUT:foul: ), THEN give him a grand kid, i bet you get another bike out of it. :doh: