Sign in to follow this  

Best Way To Liven Up my Stock Exhaust

Hi Guys,

What can i do to liven up my stock exc-r exhaust? Sound better, perform better etc

I'm trying to avoide buying an after market pipe.

Thanks

You need cut the baffle out of it. Do a search for "bafflectomy" you may come up with something. Look in the XC4/RC4 section on KTM Talk also.

What bike do you have?

If it is pre 07, there is nothing you need to do.

If its 07 or newer, you can cut the little restrictor pipe out of the end. It will make it like the pre 07 muffler.

There is not much bang for the buck with after market mufflers, except more noise.

A different header can help though. Like the HT Racing header and others. It moves the power down in the RPM range to give you more torque. In some cases it may hurt top end a little.

IMO you should spend your money on something that will make you faster like suspension work.

You need cut the baffle out of it. Do a search for "bafflectomy" you may come up with something. Look in the XC4/RC4 section on KTM Talk also.

correct, cutting the baffle makes a noticable difference and the bike is still ultra quiet:thumbsup:

correct, cutting the baffle makes a noticable difference and the bike is still ultra quiet:thumbsup:

If it's an '07 you cut it like I did mine:

P2210033.jpg

Still ultra quiet? Um, no. They're much louder but still quieter than most open

MX exhausts.

Swap bikes with a local pro, try to follow him on his open piped bike while he disappears on your silent missle, then realize it ain't the pipe, it is the nut behind the bars that makes a bike faster.

Riding lessons!!!!! Not exhaust pipes!!!!!!!!BRAKES & SUSPENSION!!!!!

Or find yourself where most Americans are, lost riding areas by the

MILLION ACRES!!!

• Like 1

Swap bikes with a local pro, try to follow him on his open piped bike while he disappears on your silent missle, then realize it ain't the pipe, it is the nut behind the bars that makes a bike faster.

Riding lessons!!!!! Not exhaust pipes!!!!!!!!BRAKES & SUSPENSION!!!!!

Or find yourself where most Americans are, lost riding areas by the

MILLION ACRES!!!

i think your missing the point of his post.. he wants to know if he can make his stock exhaust pipe perform better without having to purchase an aftermarket pipe.. to my knowledge he never mentioned anything about pipe=better rider.. just that he wanted to know how he could make his pipe better

and to answer the original post question.. you can re pack the exhaust.. moose sells a competition muffler packing that will lighten up your pipe and even make it a little bit quieter and its only about 20 bucks... and you can cut the baffle as said previously

• Like 1

" liven up my stock exc-r exhaust? Sound better, perform better "

No, I got it, he wants a noise increase and more "livelyness" or power. Guess what? The best performance mod you can make is to make your bike even quieter, then you can ride it without pissing off as many people who eventually complain, piss & moan till NOBODY is riding. I'm livin it. I've lost about 40-50% of the riding time I used to enjoy at my club track because of selfish riders who wouldn't voluntarily quiet their bikes. THANKS GUYS!!!

Ryan Hughes was used in an experiment with a "B" MXer on a 450f from a dirt mag, & Ryno beat the guy with every MX bike down to an 85cc, then kicked his arse on a DRZ125. That "B" guy is probably a good representative of 98-99% of the guys here. Speed and sound are not dependant on one another, some of the slowest riders are on the loudest bikes.

Keep it quiet, jet & gear it and take lessons from a good pro, 1 on 1. Or be the guy with the gutted can that the local police get called for.

Make my pipe perform better??? Oh, for the love of Pete!!!

OK but you are missing the point. Sure a genetic freak professional rider who has made his living riding MX can beat a B rider on a 450. Sure I could ride on a 125 if I wanted to. But it's not fun. Riding a 530 is fun for me, and that's what this is all about: fun.

I understand what you are saying. Really loud pipes aren't good. But the EXC pipe with the baffle cut out of it is not loud dude. It's the same as the XCF-W comes from the factory. By no means is it going to be as loud as the kind of pipes you are referring to.

• Like 1

Gutting the can doesnt increase the sound much at all. The main benefits are that the bike breathes better and also runs alot cooler.....Not to worry...It won't sound like your driving a harley in the woods.....

My point was that any exhaust performance gains are minimal, even on a EXC. Jet it and it will still have more power than almost anyone needs, the noise gives an illusion of power. Greater gains can be had for the price of fuel & time, practicing braking & cornering.

Every pimple faced goon novice guts his pipe, gets a "system" and makes a damn racket popping & farting all over creation. We need to break from this thinking, even the seasoned guys do it. It runs cooler? Jet it, gear it & that fan will keep it at temp just fine.

Gearing, jetting, bars & guards I understand. Looking for better sound, head to Radio Shack.

Have you ridden an '08 or '09 EXC before and after? The difference is quite noticeable, and jetting and taking the baffle can give you 10+ HP on 35. That's at least a 30% increase. It's not meant to be ridden the way it is, they only did it so they could sell you a street legal XC-W.

Yes, 08 530 dead stock with only JD jet kit tuned in. You really believe that pipe is killing 10 HP? The bike ran as well as my Husky TE450, with more bottom, gearing considered. Jetting means more, far more than the pipe. Gearing is as important. The can is near meaningless.

I too was concerned about the additional noise associated with debaffling the 530 - I'd rather keep it as quiet as possible. But I bit the bullet and did it. And as others have stated, noise gain is minimal but the bike does run cooler and it just sounds healthier. If there were an aftermarket system available that was quieter yet and still ran that well, I would get it (it'd have to be lighter also, though, to justify the expense)

Yes, 08 530 dead stock with only JD jet kit tuned in. You really believe that pipe is killing 10 HP? The bike ran as well as my Husky TE450, with more bottom, gearing considered. Jetting means more, far more than the pipe. Gearing is as important. The can is near meaningless.

But have you ridden it with the baffle cut out of it?

No need, it isn't going to spool up as quick as my 450sxf, my 525SX or my KXF450, right? And it is already as good as my TE450 IMO. ON a paved course with motard wheels you can use another 3 peak HP, in the dirt, with knobbies, in the rocks, trees, mud, rain, etc.,,, tractability is the key.

I've been involved first hand with sound testing and seen the real stopwatch results that contradict every Pro to Novice rider we tested. More noise simply tricks the rider into believing there is more power & speed. It is BS. The same guys who thought their bikes were slow or flat, (Natnl level pro was one of these guys), matched their times on our MX track with a near silent bike, WITHOUT changing jetting which would have lifted response. With a simple Db Dawg they went, for example, from full open Yosh on a RMZ450 that was thunderous to quieter than a lawn mower.

It is hard to argue with a stopwatch. Why a rider cares how his bike sounds is a complete mystery to me but it gets written here everyday. "Wanna make it sound strong. Needs to make more noise, Gotta open it up, sounds choked, needs a system". Every darn day. Pitiful IMO. Are you out there to ride or be heard/seen. Put an Ipod blowin top fuel soundtracks into your helmet and keep believing ANYBODY cares how your bike sounds...in a positive way.

They are about to vote to basically abolish off road in NJ this week anyway,,,main complaint, NOISE!!! Why don't the neighbors want a riding area to replace the QUARRY, a friggin QUARRY!!!! Noise!

You want to liven up an exhaust pipe? Learning to use your brakes & suspension will be a good place to start.

No need, it isn't going to spool up as quick as my 450sxf, my 525SX or my KXF450, right? And it is already as good as my TE450 IMO. ON a paved course with motard wheels you can use another 3 peak HP, in the dirt, with knobbies, in the rocks, trees, mud, rain, etc.,,, tractability is the key.

I've been involved first hand with sound testing and seen the real stopwatch results that contradict every Pro to Novice rider we tested. More noise simply tricks the rider into believing there is more power & speed. It is BS. The same guys who thought their bikes were slow or flat, (Natnl level pro was one of these guys), matched their times on our MX track with a near silent bike, WITHOUT changing jetting which would have lifted response. With a simple Db Dawg they went, for example, from full open Yosh on a RMZ450 that was thunderous to quieter than a lawn mower.

It is hard to argue with a stopwatch. Why a rider cares how his bike sounds is a complete mystery to me but it gets written here everyday. "Wanna make it sound strong. Needs to make more noise, Gotta open it up, sounds choked, needs a system". Every darn day. Pitiful IMO. Are you out there to ride or be heard/seen. Put an Ipod blowin top fuel soundtracks into your helmet and keep believing ANYBODY cares how your bike sounds...in a positive way.

They are about to vote to basically abolish off road in NJ this week anyway,,,main complaint, NOISE!!! Why don't the neighbors want a riding area to replace the QUARRY, a friggin QUARRY!!!! Noise!

You want to liven up an exhaust pipe? Learning to use your brakes & suspension will be a good place to start.

is this the vote about NJORVP and where it will end up?

No, this is the one banning all off road on public land, forcing registration of all OHVs that you can't ride, raising fines for getting caught and taking more $ from you.

I'm interested in making this change to my 09 530. I'm having trouble getting the cone out fo the muffler. I've removed all the bolts, and scrapped away the silicone, but it won't budge. Any suggestions? I've also tapped on it with a rubber mallet , no luck.

I'd like to make this change in hopes that it will contribute to the bike runnign cooler.

Thanks!