An un-biased review of 215.VM2.K5

So I finally decided to try some of this "Magic" oil that everyone on this board has been raving about for myself and I figured I would give anyone thinking about purchasing some of it my perspective on it. I have not been swayed in anyway and am not receiving free or discounted oil from dave J for doing this. So, First off.....

The bike is a 2007 YZ 250F, The suspension has been modified by factory connection for a 165# Junior rider or I guess that would be B class down in the states. The springs are all stock and this is the first time that I have taken the suspension apart. The seals were leaking so I decided that it was time to tear it all down and inspect everything. I already have new seals and bushings and will be putting them on in short order but for now i'm waiting on Dave J's oil.

I called Dave on wednesday to order the oil, He was very pleasant and took the time to explain everything on the phone. It is also apparent that he seems to always take the time to explain everything out in detail on the board and has posted a very informative guide on dissasembling the rear shock. It's nice to see that he takes the time to make sure his customers are educated in the matter. He told me that he is a little backed up at the moment and that it will take a few days to get it out to me but that shipping is usually reasonably quick. It's also nice that he informed me that it will be a few days to get it out as he just as easily could have taken my information and made me wait.

So I guess i'll just have to wait till the oil gets here before I post anything else. I will say that the price isn't to bad. It's about 80 dollars to do the whole bike which is pretty close to what it costs to use another premium high quality fork and shock oil and I doubt you will get the same level of customer service. I will post again when the oil gets here to further review this "Magic" oil.

So I finally decided to try some of this "Magic" oil that everyone on this board has been raving about for myself and I figured I would give anyone thinking about purchasing some of it my perspective on it. I have not been swayed in anyway and am not receiving free or discounted oil from dave J for doing this. So, First off.....

The bike is a 2007 YZ 250F, The suspension has been modified by factory connection for a 165# Junior rider or I guess that would be B class down in the states. The springs are all stock and this is the first time that I have taken the suspension apart. The seals were leaking so I decided that it was time to tear it all down and inspect everything. I already have new seals and bushings and will be putting them on in short order but for now i'm waiting on Dave J's oil.

I called Dave on wednesday to order the oil, He was very pleasant and took the time to explain everything on the phone. It is also apparent that he seems to always take the time to explain everything out in detail on the board and has posted a very informative guide on dissasembling the rear shock. It's nice to see that he takes the time to make sure his customers are educated in the matter. He told me that he is a little backed up at the moment and that it will take a few days to get it out to me but that shipping is usually reasonably quick. It's also nice that he informed me that it will be a few days to get it out as he just as easily could have taken my information and made me wait.

So I guess i'll just have to wait till the oil gets here before I post anything else. I will say that the price isn't to bad. It's about 80 dollars to do the whole bike which is pretty close to what it costs to use another premium high quality fork and shock oil and I doubt you will get the same level of customer service. I will post again when the oil gets here to further review this "Magic" oil.

unbiased review of what?, you havn't even tried it yet.........

If you had of read all the way through to the end you would have come to the embarrassing realization that I'm still waiting on the oil to come. I will give a full review when it arrives next week sometime. This is just an initial review of the price and level of service dave provides.

If you had of read all the way through to the end you would have come to the embarrassing realization that I'm still waiting on the oil to come. I will give a full review when it arrives next week sometime. This is just an initial review of the price and level of service dave provides.

I think he means it might of been nice to wait and just give your report once you have the oil. I am pretty sure everyone is comfortable with the service he offers, or he wouldn't be so popular on the board.

However, I do look forward to your report, as I am planning on switching to his oil. :doh:

I think he means it might of been nice to wait and just give your report once you have the oil. I am pretty sure everyone is comfortable with the service he offers, or he wouldn't be so popular on the board.

However, I do look forward to your report, as I am planning on switching to his oil. :doh:

bingo.......your headline states a review of the oil and i did read it all the way through

I think anyone reviewing this oil really needs to compare it in the same forks, that have just had another decent quality/brand of fresh oil in them.

No point in comparing a set of forks that havent been serviced for a while and sticking some brand new davej oil in them, then saying how much better they are.

Anyone believing this stuff is a revalve in a bottle is getting a bit carried away and is probally more to do with having their old oil replaced with some fresh stuff.

Thats my 2 cents anyway.

I think anyone reviewing this oil really needs to compare it in the same forks, that have just had another decent quality/brand of fresh oil in them.

No point in comparing a set of forks that havent been serviced for a while and sticking some brand new davej oil in them, then saying how much better they are.

Anyone believing this stuff is a revalve in a bottle is getting a bit carried away and is probally more to do with having their old oil replaced with some fresh stuff.

Thats my 2 cents anyway.

Maybe you should try it before passing judgment.

Maybe you should try it before passing judgment.

Thanks for your reply... not. :doh:

I have tried it very recently in my WR, along with Davej's base and mid valve kit.

Didnt work for me, I have since found a much better setup that suits me and the type of racing I do.

Thanks for your reply... not. :doh:

I have tried it very recently in my WR, along with Davej's base and mid valve kit.

Didnt work for me, I have since found a much better setup that suits me and the type of racing I do.

If you have tried it, then you should have stated that, instead of coming across as just another uninformed opinion.:snore:

HEre is my project in the next week or 2. Take my current forks that has a RG3 cookie cutter revalve, add Dave's full meal to the forks and shims to his specs and same to the shock. Then run my favorite fluid for a week or 2 in there (Torco). After that drain everything, and install the 215 fluid in there from Dave and do a writeup. Should be a good comparison to see what if any benefits there are to the 215 fluid. It will be fun! I will post when I get more time and all the parts from Dave on the project.

HEre is my project in the next week or 2. Take my current forks that has a RG3 cookie cutter revalve, add Dave's full meal to the forks and shims to his specs and same to the shock. Then run my favorite fluid for a week or 2 in there (Torco). After that drain everything, and install the 215 fluid in there from Dave and do a writeup. Should be a good comparison to see what if any benefits there are to the 215 fluid. It will be fun! I will post when I get more time and all the parts from Dave on the project.

Sounds good. Let us know how it goes.

What bike are you modding?

this thread - at least until now - is a waist of time reading and as useful as a second bellybutton.

this thread - at least until now - is a waist of time reading and as useful as a second bellybutton.

yup, it's like kissing your sister...

...just does nothing for you:confused:

It's about 80 dollars to do the whole bike which is pretty close to what it costs to use another premium high quality fork and shock oil.

????? I don't know where you're from but it costs much less than that for me to do my suspension with Maxima. No dissrespect to Dave or his fluid whatsoever, but when I contacted him I felt the price in US funds plus shipping to Ontario was too high (for me) to possibly watch run down my fork legs due to a torn seal.

you guys take fork oil way too seriously!...........50 threads and hundreds of posts on fork oil

you guys take fork oil way too seriously!...........50 threads and hundreds of posts on fork oil

Yet it is somehow OK to take engine oil this seriously........... I'm just trying to help anyone out there who is maybe on the fence about whether or not to jump for dave's special oil. I myself was on the fence and a review like this could be the impetus as to which side I wanted to be on. If dave really is on to something with his suspension oil and it helps my YZ-F than I think that he deserves some credit and I'll happily give it to him. I don't see him advertising in any magazines yet and there's no banner ad or pop up on thumpertalk but if it really is superior oil than why not let others know about it??? Not enough good business get the recognition they should and i'm starting to think maybe dave is one of them,But if it isn't than I would also like to help the common consumer and maybe save them a bit of money in these tough times........Anyone else remember roost boost??? I will say this......Dave sent me a PM to let me know that my oil shipped today and is also sending me a new product to test free of charge, So even if it does turn out to be just snake oil than hey.........At least he's a nice guy about it!

yup, it's like kissing your sister...

...just does nothing for you:confused:

I've kissed your sister, and I liked it :doh:

and I liked it :lol:

yeah, but that was a one-way pleasure what i've heard so far, ie just you liked it :snore::doh:

:doh::snore:
I've kissed your sister, and I liked it :snore:

You we're way too drunk, that was my brother. :doh: