XR200 VS CRF230

My wife has been riding a xr200 for several years now and has become quite the desert rider. She wants more power from her xr200 (for the hill climbs) yet still putts with the kids. Ive been thinking about the xr250 or the new CRF230. She is a little intimidated about the weight of the 250 and the crf is the same as the 200. Anybody had a xr200 and go the CRF230?...can you tell me if your wife or you noticed a difference. Or did anybodys wife go from the 200 to the 250?....Wife is 5-7 120….Thanks for the help

I don't think the CRF230 would be a large enough improvement. My girlfriend is 5'5" and 135lbs, and I've been looking at bikes for her. I was comparing the CRF230 and the XR250 on honda's website and according to the site the XR250 weighs only 2lbs more than the CRF230. So I'm leaning towards a lowered XR250, 1996 or newer. Plus the XR has much more aftermarket potential than the CRF. Just my thoughts.

Brandon

My wife was on an XR200 for many years and I used to ride it all the time when I rode with my young kids. She now has a 230 uncorked with the carb kit and it is a far superior bike. Will it fly up monster hills at Jawbone Canyon? No way,...but has noticably more power than the 200, excellent front brake, and it has the magic start button, which we both love. We are both very happy with the bike.

My wife has a 2001 xr200 and this past weekend, I bought her the CRF230. WHAT A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE! I don't know what the HACKS in this forum are smoking when they say the 150 and 230 are under powered. It's a whole different bike starting from the gears to the ride. I don't care really what other people say about it. Just because it blows the 125L out of the water even if it has a full BBR work up. My wife has riden the ttr225 (sucks), 125L with a full load of BBR upgrades, xr200, klx300, and other bikes. The 230 is the most comfortable and easiest for her. The electric start a lone should be your deciding factor. There has been numerous times when she is too tired after a long day of riding to kick over her xr200.

And for those who say that a ttr125L can beat the CRF150, so what. I've seen a guy on a TTR125L beet a guy on a DRZ400 and a XR400. Big deal. All that matters is what she is most comfortable with and the 230 is a great choice.

Dave

?

The CRF230 is an excellent bike for the money. My wife's is too short and underpowered for my riding but I still take it out because it climbs in 1st gear well (and you can crawl with the gearing). It's easy to throw around on the trails. If anyone tries to compare the power to something like a 250 or higher engine, they aren't the same type of bike. Comparing it to a 200 or less makes more sense. The top speed is pretty slow though. Hard going over large rocks and fallen trees because of clearance but fun on easier trails.

XR250 is a totally different bike. It will toast a CRF230. Depends on what type of person the bike is for. My wife likes her 230 (electric start is great). She used to ride my 84 XR250 and hated it because of the weight, height and power was hard for her to handle.