Hydration

I was out the other day and couldn't get hydrated again lost all energy thought I was going to be sick to my stomach.I was thinking other then exhaustion it be a hydration problem.I was wandering what I could drink or eat to solve this problem and when to do so, befor,during, a huge ride? (drank alot of H20 befor the ride)

Howzit. I take along a hydration pack and throw one of the camelback tablets in (has electrolytes e.t.c but no sugar so doesnt leave insert with residue). I have found that drinking a lot of liquid before or during activity will wipe you out faster. Try to take smaller amounts more frequently. Hope this helps. Cheers.

lots of fluids the week before the ride. no soda no energy! drinks water unsweetened ice tea with a small Gatorade. If you are brave cut beer out also.

drinks lot of good fluids on the ride no soda no energy drinks lots of water.

It also helps to be in good shape physically: regular exercise that challenges the body aerobically and with resistance training like weightlifting (or push-ups/pull-ups, etc). Eat well, exercise and stay hydrated.

would hydration help with the neusia feeling.Im thinking of stretchiing as well, I don't have the money to join a gym and I figure at 41 Im in good shape(I build large coms towers,lots o climbing).But still feel the malaise at times when Im riding.Im recovering from a torn meniscus so running is painfull, any suggestions on aerobic training? and thx all for your replies its a huge help to me.

If you have a diet high in fruits and veggies then you probably don't need a vitamin supplementation. Endurox makes a good hydration/electrolyte supplement if you are on a long sustained ride. If you can't run use whatever you can, elliptical, mt bike, stationary bike, rowing. You can do one day of overtraining ie 60 minutes and a couple of days of interval training on those machines if you are a racer.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 41 years old and my XR with a full tank of gas weighs in at a little over 300 pounds and I'm about 170 pounds, so I end up workin prety hard. We go on some long rides, like 40 to 80 miles or more, and that's a long day in the woods. Each of us has been taking two bottles of Poweraid and one bottle of water and some food, trail mix, granola bars, beef jerkey, and if we know we're going to be out for a long ride we take a sandwich also. I like to have some water for medical reasons, cleaning cuts or rinsing crap out of an eye, or washing hands if needed after a mechanical malfunction. But that's true that if you feel thirsty you are already starting to dehydrate. I've been using a fanny pak to cary most of my stuff but I picked up a hyrration pak to try that out. The bladder holds two liters (70oz), thats equal to three seperate bottles and it also has a little storage space for other stuff. You can prep all you want several days before your ride, but you have to have stuff with you while you're riding to replace what you're body is using. I could drink 20 gallons of water, but if I don't have some food I end up fealing like crap. We get into some prety technical stuff so there's always a time to stop to drink and eat, but I drink fairly often even when I don't feal thirsty. There's a lot of people on here and that equals lots of experience and ideas, so good luck and have fun riding.

Being an avid ultra runner, I can vouch that the exertion level is similar to a hard trail ride. For the hot weather in the summer, the general rule of thumb is 24-32 oz fluid and 100-150 calories per hour minimum. Dr. Mark hit the nail on the head- if you wait until you are thirsty, it is too late. I second the comment that you need to be drinking all week.

Marc in Indy:ride:

I was looking around the net for recipes for energy bars and I came across this site, www.cptips.com. It's got a lot of info on hydration and eating for cyclists.....yea.... I know.... they pedal pushers, but you've got to admit they work their buts off on a long ride and they are weight conscious and maby we as riders of another kinda bike can learn abit from them.

• 3 weeks later...
Being an avid ultra runner, I can vouch that the exertion level is similar to a hard trail ride. For the hot weather in the summer, the general rule of thumb is 24-32 oz fluid and 100-150 calories per hour minimum. Dr. Mark hit the nail on the head- if you wait until you are thirsty, it is too late. I second the comment that you need to be drinking all week.

Marc in Indy:ride:

I just came back from riding the last 4 days in 95+, 80%+ humidity and drank almost 3 gallons of water each day and was terribly thirsty the whole time. Gatorade and bananas weren't helping much with the chills and cramps either.

I've either got to quit riding in those kind of conditions or figure out a little different regimen. :worthy: