DS in Illinois?

Good Question. I'm over by litchfield. Not a DS yet. I have a TTR225 and a VTX1800c. I'm probably going to sell the VTX and buy a XR650l or klr. If I do I'll be looking for more places to ride in IL.

Sure did, it was great. They rolled it out for me to pick up and they parked it right in between to big ol Harleys.

Ive been to St. Joe State Park when I owned a atv. Never been to South fork. Is it mainly mx or are threre trails.

It has trails. It's a fraction of the size of St. Joe. They have real bathrooms and showers, a bike wash, concession stand with some pretty good food, and on some weekends the repair shop is open. We haven't been there this year but I heard they have had some flooding problems. It costs $12 a day per rider and you have to have a state sticker. You can buy it there. It gets really muddy after a rain.

DS rider checking in from Chicago area (Skokie) Had a XR650L, got tired of wrestling with it, and usually losing ending in a dropped bike, which in turn meant picking up that 325 Lb. beast, not fun. Don't get me wrong, I loved the bike, you just gotta be tall to ride it, and strong to keep it up! Great for wide trails, fire / forest roads, and pavement. Tight technical trails, good luck, Deep sand, good luck. I moved down to a CRF230L. Much happier. Gave up a ton of power, but I have way more fun. Seat is 6" lower, bike is 50 Lbs lighter. We are some of the newly orphaned folks who rode at Buffalo Range in Ottawa. Now we're gonna check out KI, my boy rides MX, so we are looking for that combo place of track / trails.

Have you guys seen the new yammie WR250R DS? Thing looks sweet. Just might be a shade tall for my build, at 5'9" those 36" seat heights are a killer! But it didn't feel too heavy in the showroom. That's what I thought about the XR650L too!

It is few and far between to find a dual sport bike in this part of the world. Too many Harley Davidson wanna be's running around.

Are you guys talking DS riding or going to St. Joe's and riding in a circle?

There is some great DS riding in southern Illinois.....right across the river from Cape Girardeau, Mo are some great gravel roads, creeks crossings, levee riding, and 2-lane twisties. It's very hilly around the river and riding along the bluffs in the Shawnee National Forest is amazing. You just have to look! :doh:

There is some great DS riding in southern Illinois.....right across the river from Cape Girardeau, Mo are some great gravel roads, creeks crossings, levee riding, and 2-lane twisties. It's very hilly around the river and riding along the bluffs in the Shawnee National Forest is amazing. You just have to look! :doh:

They let you ride on levees in Illinois?

Dang. Not over here in MO.

DS rider checking in from Chicago area (Skokie) Had a XR650L, got tired of wrestling with it, and usually losing ending in a dropped bike, which in turn meant picking up that 325 Lb. beast, not fun. Don't get me wrong, I loved the bike, you just gotta be tall to ride it, and strong to keep it up! Great for wide trails, fire / forest roads, and pavement. Tight technical trails, good luck, Deep sand, good luck. I moved down to a CRF230L. Much happier. Gave up a ton of power, but I have way more fun. Seat is 6" lower, bike is 50 Lbs lighter. We are some of the newly orphaned folks who rode at Buffalo Range in Ottawa. Now we're gonna check out KI, my boy rides MX, so we are looking for that combo place of track / trails.

I just had my 230L out at The Cliffs today. That place is huge.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.transamtrail.com/

It starts in Tn and goes to the west coast. IF I get a DS bike I'd like to give it a try sometime. Maybe this fall. Just take a few days and see how far I make it.

You can go over to www.advrider.com and read some ride reports.

Here's a good one on a guy that rode about half of it.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=467171