Sign in to follow this  

05 KLX300 to 07 KLX250S frame swap

Currently have a 2005 Klx300 that I bought new and was looking to get it plated here in Washington. I figured It would be easier for me to buy a 250S plated frame and just slap the plate on my 300. I would plan on just doing a brake light, mirrors and 250 stickers. I don't plan on riding the streets with it I just want the option. If i had to could I do the frame swap and put all the 300 guts on/in the 250s frame? Any help or insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

I looked around and couldn't find a thread on this if you could get me the link I would appreciate it.

Currently have a 2005 Klx300 that I bought new and was looking to get it plated here in Washington. I figured It would be easier for me to buy a 250S plated frame and just slap the plate on my 300.

Doing that could get you a big fat ticket or sent to the pokey. Just a friendly warning. :doh:

What? There is nothing wrong with putting a bigger engine in the 250 frame. Thats like saying you can't drop a hopped up supercharged V8 in a stock V6 mustang.

That's not what he said. He said he was going to swap plates from one frame to another. That's a totally different story than an engine swap.:crazy:

Sorry, I read too fast and my comment was to his '2nd' option:

Currently have a 2005 Klx300 that I bought new and was looking to get it plated here in Washington. I figured It would be easier for me to buy a 250S plated frame and just slap the plate on my 300. I would plan on just doing a brake light, mirrors and 250 stickers. I don't plan on riding the streets with it I just want the option. .

so you'd be driving around with a registration from one VIN with a different VIN on your bike in this example? Dumb idea, only looking for trouble. i agree with kawidad.

If i had to could I do the frame swap and put all the 300 guts on/in the 250s frame? Any help or insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

Better idea, put the engine, or part of it, in the 250 frame. Or just the 300 jug, which i believe is quite common and would be the easiest.

If you have the frame with the correct VIN and the plate that matches what's the problem???? It's pretty much like an engine swap.

If you have the frame with the correct VIN and the plate that matches what's the problem???? It's pretty much like an engine swap.

If the plate matches the VIN, no problem, but again, that's not what he wanted to do. He was talking about switch plates from one frame to another, so therefore, the VIN's won't match. Hence, big problem IF caught.:busted: