Sign in to follow this  

Supercross 4 strokes versus 2 strokes at Steel City

I went to the Steel City National on Sunday. Due to the perfect weather, it was SO crowded that you couldn't really move around to too many different points on the track to watch. Did anyone that went notice that the 4 strokes seemed to have more difficulty getting into and out of the off camber right hand turn on the far side hill just before the big back straight double jump where Carmichael was doing HUGE whips? The area has a small jump then a rough downhill braking area before turning uphill off camber to the right. It seemed like the 4 strokes where kicking the rear end up and locking the rear wheel as they slowed downhill through the choppy section entering the turn. They then seemed to bog and kick as they exited the turn and started uphill. I watched Ricky on his 250R and LaRocco and Ferry on their 4 strokes. When they used the same line, Ricky's suspension seemed much smoother while the engine stayed on the pipe easier. Any comments? Do the 4 stroke MXers have a slipper clutch design like they use on Superbikes? It seemed like the extra engine braking on most of the 4 strokes was spoiling the entry, while the smoother transition to power was hooking up too much upon exit and making the bike kick. Carmichael was the only one on the gas coming off the small jump before the turn. He would then rail the berm and never let off until he hit the next jump. No one else seemed to be able to do this, at least consistently. It was impressive. As a whole, the 2 strokes seemed much smoother through this area. The 250F's didn't seem to have that same problem as the bigger 4 strokes.

[ September 03, 2002, 12:33 PM: Message edited by: EricZ ]

lol. Where do I collect my award? I did this the other day and everyone took off on it quoting old replies for pages and not a word. wow. flame away...:confused:

lol. Where do I collect my award? I did this the other day and everyone took off on it quoting old replies for pages and not a word. wow. flame away...:confused:

I'll meet you at Steel City next to RC's RM250

I'll meet you at Steel City next to RC's RM250

I'll be wearing the boat shoes with my collar popped! We can do burnouts in my Trans Am. It's got 50's on the rear. Do you think Bubba can give RC a run for the title?