CCM motorbikes (anyone heard of them)

Don't think there on sale to the public yet, there british and the use the same technology on the frame as an aston martin, ie they glue it all together!!!!

Think the race bikes are using the yamaha engine and they are also looking and using Kawasaki or suzuki engines for the production bikes.

Very cool

Growing up in Canada :snore: in the 1970's, we rode played hockey in the winter and rode bicycles in the summer and Canadian Tire was the store we bought everything.

CCM hockey equipment.... one of the top brands in the sport.

CCM bicycles..... we used to say CCM stood for "Crappy Crate Makers". I rode a CCM Mustang with high-rise handlebars and a banana seat? which was a great bike, but we still called them "Crappy Crates" :banana:

CCM-Mustang.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CCM_(The_Hockey_Company)

But there was another CCM "across the pond" (other side of the Atlantic :eek:) that made motorcycles. Sounds like this is another case of an old vintage motorcycle company being resurrected or making a comeback. :doh:

I remember them from the '70s. Made in England, hand built, and I believe they originally had a BSA engine. It was a small company owned by a guy named Alan (I think) Clews. CCM stands for Clews Competition Machines. Pretty much state of the art 4 stroke MX bikes for the time.

Clews Competition Machines was founded in England by Alan Clews. They originally used the leftover Victor 500 motors from BSA, which had just closed it's doors. They were awesome bikes to watch back in the 70s, and the short little megaphone muffler wouldn't pass a 104db sound test, let alone a 94db. They didn't seem to have any trouble running with the big bore 2 strokes of the time.

These were the premier 4 stroke MX bike back in the 60's and 70's. Many a world mx champion were on a CCM. I would have died for one.....:doh:
Me too. That was heady stuff back then...
I remember them from the '70s. Made in England, hand built, and I believe they originally had a BSA engine. It was a small company owned by a guy named Alan (I think) Clews. CCM stands for Clews Competition Machines. Pretty much state of the art 4 stroke MX bikes for the time.
The "works" CCMs were unbelievably exotic -- titanium frames, magnesium hubs & outer cases, and rumored to weigh less than 200lbs -- and this was in the late '60s - early '70s!
Clews Competition Machines was founded in England by Alan Clews. They originally used the leftover Victor 500 motors from BSA, which had just closed it's doors. They were awesome bikes to watch back in the 70s, and the short little megaphone muffler wouldn't pass a 104db sound test, let alone a 94db. They didn't seem to have any trouble running with the big bore 2 strokes of the time.
The earliest CCMs used the 441cc Victor motor, then up-sized as BSA increased the displacement of the motor to 500cc.

The worst thing about those bikes was the footpeg location.

Because the shift lever was quite far forward on the motor, the pegs needed to be forward so that the rider could reach the lever. This made for a very compromised riding position (called "posting"), that never let the rider fully stand up. Look at the photos jbird posted and you'll see what I mean.

You can really see the peg location in the last photo.

Modern dirt bike design places the footpegs directly below the swingarm pivot. Those CCM pegs are 'way forward -- about in the middle of the engine cradle!

But like jbird said, "Ancient history..."

The new CCMs look cool, too bad they probably will never have the mystique of the earlier bikes.