I should know this

I was considering the manual compression release because

while waiting for these damn boots to break in I keep locking up the engine on downhills and can't get the

engine to turn over fast enough to keep the slide short

with a manual I could just pull the lever and get the

rear wheel rolling again sooner. I know how to go down hills

Its just a bitch when you can't feel the brake!!!

Thanks for the come back BC3

Actually I am only 19, but I probably ride more like you than I do anyone else my age. Your downhills are obviously a little different from what I am used to. Here in southern Idaho its all desert, wich means big sandy downhills with nothing to hit but an occaissional sagebrush or rock. The sand makes going slow impossible, not only will it make your front end knife ir you are going slow but it wears you out very fast.

But you won't have to worry about that very much longer since you are 55 and almost dead anyway. ?

Cory

BC3,

The cool thing about the 2003 YZ450 auto decompression is that you can bump start the bike with little effort. Try different gearing down the hill without the clutch. If you stall the bike, hop on the rear of the seat and bump start the bike.

Also, the front brake will hook up nice and provides 70% of your stopping power. Relying on your rear brake alone would rob you of this benefit. I would try lightly tapping the rear brake (until you are familiar with your boots), utilizing the front brake and relying some on the engine for deceleration.

John

BC3, where do you ride in Northern California?

Use the front brake down hill, most of your weight is on the front tire down hill and that's where all of your braking force comes from. I learned that lesson from riding mountain bikes down steep hills.

We ride at Stony Ford, George Town, Forest Hill, Carnegie

Park (Poison Oak ) And a place off of Hwy 5 called Frank Raines.... Or on the Golf course ha ha ha at night.

BC3 ?

BC3,

Sell your boots and try some Sidi's. They are flexible where you need them to be and stiff where they need to be stiff. I never liked the tech series ski boots. Everthing else is a band-aid to the real problem. I doubt those boots will soften up enough with all the hard plastic in them.

Indy, your probably right but after reading all the advice

I think probably the best thing I could do is what I did

once when I was younger.......We all went cowtrailing for

the weekend to Stony Ford and when we started unloading our

stuff I discovered I had left my boots in the garage at

home......BUMMER right.....No not really I just road with

my VANS had a great time even though it was pretty lame

thinking.....But they didn't keep me from feeling the BRAKE

ha ha ha The stuff we did as kids. Hey have fun

BC3