What are the cases made of?

It's late, and I'm distraught over a situation I find myself in while rebuilding my '05 motor. I pull the flywheel off, and the magneto so I can get to the timing chain. And what do I find??? The little hoop-casting that cups the bottom of the front timing-chain guide was broken off and laying on the bottom of the case! And before you ask, I have absolutely no idea how this could possibly happen, so don't go there.

In the meantime, since the cases have to be bought in a pair for over $600, that's not an option. Since it's not a real load bearing piece, I"m thinking I'll just have to have it welded back on. But, in my hysteria / frustration I can't remember what material our cases are made of. Is it aluminum, or magnesium?

::::sigh:::: What a downer.

~Tex

Pretty sure it's aluminum, but your welder should check.

Here's a quick check:

use a file and get some filings from a non-critical part of the case.

hit it with a "dirty" torch.

Magnesium will flare.

Aluminum will turn white and "ball up" without flaring.

The chemical tests are kind of expensive to use - especially if you don't already have the kit.

If anyone has a problem like this... and I can't even imagine anyone could... there is a product that body shops use called "Panel Bond". It's made by 3-M (I think the part number is 08115 ). As the name implies, it's used to mount body panels and roofs on cars without welding, and it works on most metals including Aluminum.

I got some from a local body shop here, and while I haven't ridden it hard yet, it seems to work. I grabbed it and gave it a pretty hard tug and it was solid. I was told once it cures, they have to use a torch or a cutter to break it. He actually said if it were to break again, it would probably break somewhere else on the metal, not where the bond is.

So, in case any of you run into a cracked case situation, this stuff seems to work. Should you run into a sad situation like this, I hope this info helps.

~Tex