I-5 (gorman) MX park is closing this weekend

Thanks to all of you for the e-mails which were sent to me today regarding the I-5 Track at Quail Canyon, in Hungry Valley State Vehicular Recreation Area (SVRA). I appreciate your taking the time to write and share your thoughts regarding the track. It’s nice to know there are so many passionate people out there!

I would like to take the opportunity to clarify the situation, as many of your emails were responding to inaccurate information. At this time, the OHV Division of State Parks has no intention of closing the I-5 track in Quail Canyon. Whether Quail Canyon is operated in the future by the current concessionaire, a different concessionaire or even State Parks, I will do everything I can to make sure that OHV riding opportunities continue at Quail Canyon.

That said, at this time, the current concessionaire is in default of his contract. We have contacted him on numerous occasions requesting payment of funds due to the OHV Trust Fund, but to date these funds have not been repaid. In addition, we are concerned about a potential lapse in his insurance coverage. As I am sure all of you can appreciate, any concessionaire must have insurance and must be up to date in payment of outstanding bills.

Regardless of what happens with the existing concessionaire, as we move forward please be assured we will do everything we can to keep Quail Canyon open and operating with minimal interruption in service.

Thank you again for your interest in the track at Hungry Valley SVRA.

Regards,

Daphne

Daphne Greene

Deputy Director

California State Parks

Off-Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation Division

People should pay their bills! Plain and simple. I don't want me tax money used to keep this track open. They need a promoter that can pay rent and insurance in there, get this current guy out ASAP. Tracks make money if they are run right. No sympathy from me.

People should pay their bills! Plain and simple. I don't want me tax money used to keep this track open. They need a promoter that can pay rent and insurance in there, get this current guy out ASAP. Tracks make money if they are run right. No sympathy from me.

EVERYTHING else is being paid by the government! While I disdain big government, proposing that the state/feds pay for keeping the park open might be a HUGE boon to our OHV cause. Imagine the precedence set by having state funds keep our designated OHV park(s) open! If not us, then why them? Perfect justification!

--D

EVERYTHING else is being paid by the government! While I disdain big government, proposing that the state/feds pay for keeping the park open might be a HUGE boon to our OHV cause. Imagine the precedence set by having state funds keep our designated OHV park(s) open! If not us, then why them? Perfect justification!

--D

I just don't see the state being able to keep an MX track preped and ready. They just want the lease money. Why not get somebody in there to promote it that can actually make money and a nice track? I just don't see the state being interested in learning how to run an MX track right now, that's all.

i race with the socalotmx we have rented I-5 in the past to race there.

when you rent the track they still charge $20 per person which we gladly pay.

these people are extremely hard to deal with made us and the othg double up on insurance and basicly said they do not want races there.

whenever we are racing different tracks quite a few members go there weeks in advance to practice creating further revenue.

i hate to see a track close but sometimes you get what you want and this is of their on doing imo

There a track up north here, Ukiah MX, the promoter is horrible. This is publicly possibly their last weekend if they don't have a huge turnout. The emails he's been sending out are threatening, "if you don't come I'm closing down!" I don't want to see tracks close, but why would I want to see this a-hole stay open? Hopefully somebody better will come along and make things better.

they are open today ( monday ) but after that we dont know what may come. today was supposed to be their last day. i have been there the last two weekends and it was super rough. i can do about 5 laps before i am worn out, but thats just me. i hope joe can keep it open and gets the prep back to the way i5 used to be.

i heard the dispute is over a utility installation bill that wasn't disclosed at the time the lease was made. the state wants I-5 to pay for it, i-5 says it wasn't in the lease agreement and disputes it.

i-5 calls it a dispute, the state calls it default. in a default the state doesn't have to honor the lease renewal agreement.

a war of words......