Sign in to follow this  

Can 17" CBR wheels be adapted to the XR400?

I have seen an XR650 with CBR wheels and custom spacers machined to fit. I have a 98 XR400 that I would like to supermoto out if it's possible and relativity inexpensive. I live about 10 min. down country back roads from my motorcycle shop where I work everyday and am thinking it would be nice to have a SM.? If anybody has seen or done this please let me know. I have no idea of the axle size or any of the specs off the street bike wheels, just a thought at this point but if it's possible I have a buddy with a machine shop that can help me and we'll make a thread about it! Thanks in advance.:doh::snore:

The F2 and F3 axles are both thicker then my 04 XR4 axles. I don't have a micrometer at home to measure the difference with though. I don't know if you could get different bearings with a smaller diameter or some sort of spacer to make up the gaps. It would be cool if they fit though I have a lot of F2/3 spares around.

I did mine using CBR250RR 17" wheels (see my garage). The CBR250RR is mosly a Japanese import into australia so I'm assuming they crop up other places in the world too. If anyone wants the dimensions etc of the spacers please PM me and I'll give details.

BTW I now have a road bike so my Motard wheels are up for sale. I'm after AUD$700 for the whole Kit (it would cost you about AUD$2K to make up wheels by putting together hubs rims and spokes). The rear tyre is brand new (about 60km old). With the wheels comes all the correct spacers for XRs, as well as the adaptor plate for the front disk and a shorter chain for the cush-drive rear sprocket. It takes approx 40 minutes to change from dirt to road wheels (chain change included). I ride to work mon-fri on good sticky road tyres and have soft non-DOT knobbies for weekend dirtriding. It doesnt get much better 'n that.

C'mon yous aussies give me a PM and get yourself motarding.... it's the most fun you can have with your clothes on!

Meat (ashamed to say I now ride a cruiser) bomb

• Like 2

I did mine using CBR250RR 17" wheels (see my garage). The CBR250RR is mosly a Japanese import into australia so I'm assuming they crop up other places in the world too. If anyone wants the dimensions etc of the spacers please PM me and I'll give details.

BTW I now have a road bike so my Motard wheels are up for sale. I'm after AUD$700 for the whole Kit (it would cost you about AUD$2K to make up wheels by putting together hubs rims and spokes). The rear tyre is brand new (about 60km old). With the wheels comes all the correct spacers for XRs, as well as the adaptor plate for the front disk and a shorter chain for the cush-drive rear sprocket. It takes approx 40 minutes to change from dirt to road wheels (chain change included). I ride to work mon-fri on good sticky road tyres and have soft non-DOT knobbies for weekend dirtriding. It doesnt get much better 'n that.

C'mon yous aussies give me a PM and get yourself motarding.... it's the most fun you can have with your clothes on!

Meat (ashamed to say I now ride a cruiser) bomb

YEAH BUDDY! That thing looks great with the 17's!! I'd love to get all the dimensions that you can toss my way. I'd even be stoked if you could take some pictures of the caliper bracket. You are the man, thank you!:doh:

Hey fellas can if you could post some info about this swap it would be greatly appreciated. I just purchased a set of 17 inch CBR600 F1 wheels that look just like the ones that meatbomb has on his 400. This winter I plan on putting them on my 93 XR250L. Ill be stoked if my bike looks as good as meetbombs with the CBRs. Thanks in advance Jonny