Replacing speedometer backlight lamp ('01 LC4)

I searched and searched and couldn't find a procedure for how and where to replace a burned out speedometer lamp on my 2001 LC4-E that I bought during the day and didn't notice the burned out lamp until leaving work in the dark! Doh! :snore:

That being said, I thought I'd contribute my experience to the greater good since I'm a newbie around here and maybe someone else can use this.

I figured out where the light should be when I went to order the new lamp (can you believe that not a single KTM dealer in the Seattle area had a replacement lamp? Wierd...) by looking at the schematic breakout. The lamps are located on the bottom of the speedometer unit and sit inside of a rubber receptacle wired back into the electrical system.

I found the easiest way to replace them was to remove the headlight mount by removing two bolts, one on either side of the plastic surrounding the headlight. Tilt the top of the assembly towards you when removing and lift up (there are two pegs at the bottom that insert into the fender to help hold it in place).

I just C-clamped it out of my way.

This exposes the speedometer assembly and the rest of the rats nest behind the light. Gently pull down on the cable holding the lamp for the backlight. It is located (as you face the bike) closest to you at the forward edge (closest to the headlamp) of the speedometer assembly. It should pop out with the lamp it in. Remove lamp and replace.

I turned on the ignition at this point to make sure that the lamp was good and I seated it properly.

Gently push the assembly back into the hole and it will pop back into place.

Reverse the procedure for removing the headlight and bolt back into place - always good to put a little anti-rust coating on the bolts at that point (IMHO). The trick to putting the headlight assembly back in was to insert the pegs on the bottom back into the fender and then slide the rest back into place. It's a tricky operation to get the holes lined up right (or at least it was on mine) as it's a tight fit and connection.

Socket wrench the two bolts back in place and you're done.

I hope I haven't bored the community with this, but having no experience with working on a motorcycle and being a newbie to owning them, I just thought maybe someone else might benefit...

Does this count as my first wrenching? :doh:

• 2 weeks later...