First Ride: Eric Gorr's YZ300 Bolt on Kit.

Just last weekend, I finally was able to get everything together for Eric Gorr's 295cc Kit. Fine, fine, it's not a 300 but it's damn close enough. He is making 2 versions for this kit. One is setup for offroad/woods power, the other is all top end for the motocross guys.

I got my hands on the woods version. I wanted to do a stock comparison between the 300 and 250, but I currently don't have enough of my original stock parts. Tomorrow I will be able to do a 1 on 1 comparison with a KTM 300, which has close to the same mods I do. I have a 16 ounce flywheel weight, Rekluse Pro, V-Force 3 Reeds, Pro-Circuit Pipe/Silencer combo(Sorry, I'll have to look later to conform which ones).

After letting this bad boy break in on the stand for about 2 minutes, I began to do some slow putting around and instantly knew this thing was the going to going to make me smile. After 5 minutes of tooling around I starting doing laps around the yard.

I've never had a bike like this, it rides like my friends yz450. It has sooo much traction. Far too much. 3rd Gear dead engine starts are definitely going to be possible. Whack the throttle and your going for a ride, but it's smooth. There is NO powerband hit anywhere. The power just keeps on going until it flattens out on top. Compared to the 265, the 300 still retains top end power, it doesn't have an abrupt shut off. There isn't tons of top end, but enough that doesn't feel like the bike is falling on it's face.

Final thoughts? Nothing has put a smile on my face like riding a wheeling down road keeping up with traffic at 60mph :doh: This kit is going to be wanted by many.

Update: I raced 3 hours today through sand, rocks, more tree roots than I can shake a stick at and a bunch of long straights, I'm proud to say the KTM300 doesn't hold a candle to this YZ300. I played on the KTM for about 15 minutes and ignoring ergonomic differences, the YZ just simply pulled earlier, harder and longer than the KTM. I was practicing 3rd gear dead engine starts on the YZ. I simply found the YZ will do anything the KTM could and more. The KTM is smooth and mellow, but if the track required a quick snap to loft the front end over stuff, I found it a lot easier to do on the YZ. Perhaps my unfamiliarity with KTM's power band proved to be a downfall in comparing the two.

As for some of your other questions: I use regular premium pump gas. I didn't change the jetting from the last year of riding, it's currently 2 sizes bigger from stock. The bike starts on the first or second kick when cold, and always first kick when it's hot. This is a must for dead engines starts, kicking twice would be a disaster. The bike also starts no harder than it did without the big bore. Most of the riding today was in 70 degree weather, first or second gear and I had no problems with over heating in the 3 hour race.

As far as the clutch burning nastiness, that's hard to assess as using the auto clutch is setup to engage a few hundred rpm's idle, and it's a hard engage. The bike turned out to be a second gear wonder through the woods.

No hit!?!?

My 285 hits like a Mack truck , revs to the moon and makes my Husky 300 feel downright tame. My Yami has stock porting with only the middle intake port touched to keep it aligned as it was stock.

Sorry for the hijack, PC I heard the 2010 Husky will have KYB Suspension.

300 YZ sounds great, what was the total package $ ?

For me, I only had to pay for thecost of a gasket kit. I got all the work and parts for free. I'm not entirely sure what it'd cost a normal person. The strip/bore/plate would cost around $200. The piston is about $150. I don't know how much Eric charges for Port/headwork. I'd guess around $200 or $300. Cost of gaskets is maybe $40. So figure $600, maybe $700.

But yes, no hit. It just goes zzzOOOOOOOOOOOmmmm. But that's exactly how I wanted it set up. I don't need the over rev in the woods, it gets you into trouble.

Can't wait to hear the comparison to a KTM 300. I am needing a new bike soon. I am thinking YZ250/300 or KTM 250/300. I really wish I could get something that is plated but I just don't see having the $ right now. The main advantage I see with the KTM is lighting....E Line is expensive. Plus its seems like things such as airfilter and carb are easier to get at. But I do like my YZ, just need more power!

Can't wait to hear the comparison to a KTM 300. I am needing a new bike soon. I am thinking YZ250/300 or KTM 250/300. I really wish I could get something that is plated but I just don't see having the $ right now. The main advantage I see with the KTM is lighting....E Line is expensive. Plus its seems like things such as airfilter and carb are easier to get at. But I do like my YZ, just need more power!

Get yer YZ250 lights/stator right here!

http://www.proracing.co.uk/xc_lighting_yz.htm

Got me a plate on my YZ too. Guy who lives in Cali got a plate on a CR250.

Does the bike run hot when you're in 1st gear, clutch burning nastiness? Just wondered if the extra displacement would challenge the stock cooling system...

Seems like overheating was always one of the criticisms of the ktm300s, it'd be nice if the YZ300 doesn't get all steamed up when the going gets gnarly.

Get yer YZ250 lights/stator right here!

http://www.proracing.co.uk/xc_lighting_yz.htm

Got me a plate on my YZ too. Guy who lives in Cali got a plate on a CR250.

That kit looks interesting but I am doubting it will put out much Wattage. Possibly just a re-branded Moose or whoever. Also no prices listed.

Yeah you could plate it in AZ and have an AZ license but that is a pretty big hassle. Then Johnny Law is going to get you because you have an out of state license and are a Cali resident. Another ticket and hassle. Just no practical I don't think.

Just last weekend, I finally was able to get everything together for Eric Gorr's 295cc Kit. Fine, fine, it's not a 300 but it's damn close enough. He is making 2 versions for this kit. One is setup for offroad/woods power, the other is all top end for the motocross guys.

I got my hands on the woods version. I wanted to do a stock comparison between the 300 and 250, but I currently don't have enough of my original stock parts. Tomorrow I will be able to do a 1 on 1 comparison with a KTM 300, which has close to the same mods I do. I have a 16 ounce flywheel weight, Rekluse Pro, V-Force 3 Reeds, Pro-Circuit Pipe/Silencer combo(Sorry, I'll have to look later to conform which ones).

You should do the ride report without the FWW, a 16oz is a wet log. Out of curiosity where did you end up with your jetting after the kit?

No hit!?!?

My 285 hits like a Mack truck , revs to the moon and makes my Husky 300 feel downright tame. My Yami has stock porting with only the middle intake port touched to keep it aligned as it was stock.

That sounds like a sweet setup. What's your throttle response like?

You should do the ride report without the FWW, a 16oz is a wet log.

I'm far too lazy to take that thing off :doh: Although I don't believe I'd need anymore. I started using the FWW before the autoclutch. Now although I don't have to worry about the bike stalling, maybe I will take it off before this weekend.

I'm far too lazy to take that thing off :crazy: Although I don't believe I'd need anymore. I started using the FWW before the autoclutch. Now although I don't have to worry about the bike stalling, maybe I will take it off before this weekend.

Ah, it's not that hard to take off, it's like 10 minutes. Seriously you should take it off and let us know the results. The rekluse gives you 3oz of FWW after in motion so you wont be left with nothing, and you truely cant appreciate the difference 250-295 with a 16oz FWW on there.

With 50-some horsepower, not having a hit might be very cool. I think i want one.

Then you would like the 300cc gassers, they feel like that, 53hp and no hit.

It's kind of funny I rode my buddies 96 CR250 a couple years ago, and yesterday rode his 01 CR250. His 96 was a bit lame for me but his 01's hit is considerably harder than my yz and you can tell there is more HP in the hit and the TQ is lower durring the hit compared to a YZ that has a fair bit of TQ in it's hit. It's quite a different feeling the way the two track up hill. I liked it actually, but his low and mid were considerably weaker.

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...