Questions on initial bike prep.

I have noticed that most all of you recommend greasing various parts of a new bike as you think that the factory tends to skimp on these same areas. My questions are...

1) What exactly do you recommend to be done? (Grease headset, rear axle, swing arm...etc..) And what is involved, taking the back wheel off, removing the axle? What else do you have to remove, take apart, etc.. and are any special tools needed for this?

2) Would you recommend that a true mechanical novice attempt to complete the task? I mean, taking apart a brand new bike absolutely scares the crap out of me. The headset, axle, swingarm, wow!! With my luck, I would break something.

3) Does this really need to be done for all types of riding? Meaning, what if the bike is only going to be putted around by 33 year old novice?

Please keep in mind that I am an novice mechanic and a squid rider when responding.

Thanks

It is really quit easy. No special tools needed. I can see where ,as a novice, you would be hesitant however. Make the job easy, tackle one area at a time. Start with the linkage. Remove the subframe and bottom shock mount. Take the linkage one at a time and apply a good grease. Take your time. Put it back together. Then remove the swingarm pivot bolt and lube the swingarm bearings. Put it back together! Then do the Steering shaft bearings. Just remove the top nut and top triple clamp and the whole assembly will come off wheel and all!! Lube the upper and lower bearing, put it back together and BAM!! The axels are easy just remove grease and re-assemble. Should take a couple hours max. Its good insurance. The factory only minimally lubes these areas with questionable quality grease and the bike is transported by boat from Japan. If you take your time even make sketches and notes you will have no problems, there are not that many parts envolved. You will get to know your bike and be proud of yourself for what you have done. Remember we were all novices at one time. You can buy a shop manual which will guide you if you desire. Good luck!! Welcome to the ranks

See you're scaring me already..."Remove the subframe and bottom shock mount".

Ouch!!! That sounds like a lot, and it would seem that I would have to take a lot off, just to do this (seat, rear fender, maybe even brake cables???).

Then with all the locations, do you just slap the new grease on? For instance, when doing the steering shaft once all has been removed (wheel, etc) do you grease the bearings in place, or do you remove the bearing rings and grease them and them put them back.

I would never do this without a shop manual, but even then it just seems like a daunting (sp?) task. Especially the linkage/removal of the subframe.

Arrrrgh. I am a pretty anal person, and I know it is going to bug the hell out of me if I don't do this, but at the same time, I know that I am going to just have fits tearing down a BRAND NEW bike that I am anxious to ride!!!! :D :D :)

The sub frame comes off with 4 bolts. One at the top by the top shock mount. 2 are down low by the swingarm and the last one is the back of the carb boot!! The fender stays on. The whole thing comes off as an assembly after you take the seat off. The airbox stays on. You can grease the bearings in place, just rub the grease in good. I like to use water proof grease. If you really do not want to attempt this ride it for awhile then take it to your local shop. I recommend you try at least the steering stem job, build some confidence then take it from there. I do not wish to scare you but if this is beyond you, adjusting your valves will down right freak you out. Nothing wrong with being aprehensive. You can also ask your shop if they would let you watch! Otherwise the shop or a friend in the area is it!!! I understand your position you spend $7,000.00 and you still cant ride. Ride it, just schedule the maintenance soon there after. There is grease in there from the factory. Nothing wrong with letting the shop do the work if you have the money. After all these thing do not require much maintenance other than the frequent oil changes and cleaning the air filter. Bottom line: I would take it to the shop after a good break in have them check your valves, re-grease the areas we have talked about then you will probaly be fine for a year!! depending, of course, on how much you ride. Good luck!!