I need some major help

My cornering SUCKS!!!!!!!! I need some major tips and help on how to corner on a bike. I've been practicing on a friends YZ 125 cause I wanna work on my bike riding "skillz" before I get a 250F but I need some major tips and hints on how to corner good. Don't laugh at me either guys... I've been racing quads so it's a completely different technique. I really lost a lot of confidence today cause I was putting around in 1st gear to turn around and I"m used to hangin a quad out sideways and powersliding in 3rd pinned in the corners on the tracks. Well, anyways, could you guys try to help me out a little?

Find a flat field. Get a couple of tires/barrels to mark a couple spots about 200 feet apart. Race from one barrel to the other making a figure 8 so that one turn is left the other right. While racing from corner to corner, practice your postitioning, braking, acceleraion, lines etc. Several hours of this will have you getting in and out of corners pretty good.

Several of the Bailey, Semics videos are really good and will give you some basics and more stuff to practice.

Bike geometry critical. Much practice pushing the limit a little at a time. Have Pro or expert class rider check your sag spec`s. tire pressure and fork hieght with you on in full gear. Note no sence in trying to hard until bike is set up to be able. Then have them ride it & give opinion on set up to your ability. Tire choice to terrain also critical. All bikes corner different. Yours should carve like a knife.

Today was the most time I ever spent on a bike (only about 20 minutes cause I ran out of gas, and had to go buy a ratio-rite and stuff) and I've only ridden bikes about 10 times and never really did much. Today I was riding on grass that was kind of long and a bit moist so it was pretty slick and having pretty worn down tires didn't help much. When I get my bike, I'll have the suspension set and I'll get al the info about tire pressure, but this is just a friends bike that I"m borrowing for a day so I"m not going to go all out and set it up for one day, haha. Any more tips like about positioning and stuff. Is it pretty much the same as quads, move and lean forward on the bike in the corner and then sit back exiting? Sorry if these are dumb questions but this is so much harder than my quading days. Thanks for all your help so far!

Ok, first, get off the 125!!! I went from 125's to a 250f and they turn TOTALLY different!

My RM turned with the throttle, no handlebar input, super tight lines and loved ruts.

My 250f, enter wide, late apex...like riding a street bike. Requires handle bar input.

My 250f hates ruts and its really hard to consistently square off and take tight inside lines. At least in comaprison to a 125.

Best thing that helped me was to follow a smoothe, not necessarily fast, rider on a 426f at a local track. Thats what really helped me the most. And again, its more like riding a street bike than a 2 stroke moto crosser.

Wieght your outside peg, wieght over your front end, brake coming into corners, accelerate going out, turning left = left arm fairly straight, turning right = right arm fairly straight, sit on out side of your seat, stay forward get out of the turn and stand up, practice and buy a thumper, good luck

Get off the 125? I realize the cornering style may be different but I'm just riding it to get some experience on a bike. What do you consider to be easier to corner, a 2-stroke or 4-stroke? Well thanks everyone for your help. The last guy that replied (can't remember your s/n) thanks for the riding style tips for my cornering. Body positioning seems to be completely the opposite on bikes compared to quads. Thanks again, you guys kick @ss.

Sure time on any bike will do you a world of good. I said to get of of the 125 beacuse you will develope habits that will make it dfficult to adapt to your 4 stroke. Everyone I ride wtih has had this problem in transitioning. Especially 125 riders.

Which is easier to corner on? Totally depends on your style, the corner, your setup... you... the list goes no forever. Whatever is easier for you ... thats the only answer, sorry.

The weighting advice is great. Seriuosly, go to a track and watch some guys on four strokes and two strokes. You will see how they pick their lines differently (for the most part). Then go follow one around. Mostly, go have fun!

Correct me somebody if I am wrong. I usually try to keep my body more upright and vertical on tighter corners. On sweepers I ride more like my street bike. Lay over and twist the throttle in a consistent manner. A four stroke isn't an instant twist of the throttle. They take more throttle control because the power is through the rev range. Twist quick and smooth not on or off like a 2-stroke. Weight the outside peg and sit on the outside of the seat like someone said, sorry forgot name. Gain confidence. That's important. Know the power and the bike so you are comfortable with it and you'll learn what the bike and you are capable of. I rode a 250 2 stroke and the biggest difference for me was the clutch. Use the compression of the motor to help with breaking. 250F's come on pretty strong on bottom. You won't need to feather the clutch very much. Plus this will toast your clutch. I hope this helps. Happy thumpin :D:):D

Your just starting out so dont sweat it.

Turns are not easy to do.

I see really good guys on the gas,they can jump,whew who,, but when it comes to turning? They flat out can't.

When you were on your Q*^*, Did you keep looking down at your front wheel to see what it was doing?

If you did, (Bummer),on a bike?? Dont. Look ahead. :D

I learned that from the DRN guys. :)

Haha, if you turn your face is facing the front wheels, your face will get roosted, lol. The "always keep looking ahead rule" applies to quads as well. Pretty muchly, when cornering on a quad, you inside leg stays on the peg, your sitting sideways w/ your a$$ hanging off the inside, and hang that quad sideways and pin it. You can rail a quad too but it kinda sucks cornering like that. Well, I'm about to go out and get some practice. Thanks again.