Sign in to follow this  

OEM or aftermarket fork seals

Fighting with a leaking fork seal on a 2004 250x. I am experienced working with suspension and just replaced fork seals with a set of seals/wipers from MSR. First ride out and one is leaking just a little. I used a MP bullet to install the seals. This is my first try with using the bullet and didn't really like it. It was just enough bigger than the slider that I had to really force the seal down. I think it probably deformed the seal just a little. Guess I will go back to using electrical tape, never had any problems with that. Now for my actual question. Since it looks like I have to take it apart again, are there any preferences on the fork seals for OEM vs aftermarket?

Fighting with a leaking fork seal on a 2004 250x. I am experienced working with suspension and just replaced fork seals with a set of seals/wipers from MSR. First ride out and one is leaking just a little. I used a MP bullet to install the seals. This is my first try with using the bullet and didn't really like it. It was just enough bigger than the slider that I had to really force the seal down. I think it probably deformed the seal just a little. Guess I will go back to using electrical tape, never had any problems with that. Now for my actual question. Since it looks like I have to take it apart again, are there any preferences on the fork seals for OEM vs aftermarket?

I think they are comparable.

Use OEM. I have always used oem fork seals with no problems. One guy tried to save some money and bought the MSR's and they leaked the first ride....I shouldn't say leaked...they poured the first ride.

My 05 fork seals lasted one year. I sent it too factory connection to replace and revalve.....its been three years now and no sign of leaking at all. Not sure what they use, but I bet there much better than stock.....give one of those suspension places a call and ask them what they use. They only use the best of course , and I would bet they don't use OEM .

Use OEM--they're the best. I've heard of many situations where other brands didn't hold up or leaked right-off. One of mine on my 04 is actually the original one that came on the bike and it doesn't leak significantly after 4 seasons racing--you can't beat that kind of durability.

I installed a Pivot Works fork seal kit with all of the bushings and had to take it all apart after the first ride and put OEM seals in due to bilateral leakage.

The OEMs haven't leaked ever. I try to save a dollar everywhere I can, but it's nothing but OEM fork seals on my X.

With that said, I put a set of Moose seals in my kid's KTM 65 and he jumps the snot out of that bike. No leaks so far after about 4 hours of hard riding.

Sounds like I definitely have my answer. I have used MSR seals in the past on other bikes with no issues, but sounds like these bikes really like having the OEM seals. I will tear apart the offending fork leg this weekend and put in the OEM seal I picked up this week.