How widely know is the CRF Coolant Tank Mod?

7-8 months ago there was a thread about using the the down tube on the CRF frame as a coolant recovery reservoir and I'm wondering how widely this is know among CRF owners who ride off-road. Anyone?

Just some eye candy for this discussion. RR

450spuke1.jpg

450spuke2.jpg

450spuke3.jpg

I've seen the thread with these photos, I'm just wondering if most CRF owners already know about this or if this is something that we need to do a write up on and publish to our site?

This would make a great article to put up at the site. There are always plenty of questions about it.

It's my favorite mod next to the "fuel in the frame" thing. RR.

I would like to know more about this and the oil reservoir made by baja designs or if there is another way for the oil.

I would say that most who have read this section of TT regularly for a while know all about it, and have for a long time. Still, I bet there are many, many newer readers and others who have not heard about it. I would think that an article would benefit many.

I second Ride-Red and jbobb. There are always newer members asking about it. I think this would be a great tech article.

Where is this vent hole located some have said you can use?

I have mine apart for the valves and cant find any hole stock on the frame down tube. Also for the frame tank, I see the holes in the bottom of the spars, but the long tank bolt hole wont blow any air out of these. Do you have to drill through or what?

Randy

I've seen the thread. However any mod requiring me to drill a hole in the FRAME is right out. :)

but the long tank bolt hole wont blow any air out of these. Do you have to drill through or what?

Yeah I used a small drill down that hole then I drilled the center of the bolt. Works great.

I have mine apart for the valves and cant find any hole stock on the frame down tube.

If I remember it's down at the bottom to the square down tube. RR.

cant find any hole stock on the frame down tube

Just drill the lower hole and put some compressed air in. You will find the hole very quickly. I think is is just above the little round black electrical device that is mounted there.

Check with Summers Racing Products. I think Scott has a bolt on oil cooler for the crf. I have found them to be helpful and the quality of their products good. I think their address is www.src.com

I found the mod on this site. I have been checking into these bike for a while and had never heard of it until I came across it, by chance, on this forum. I don't think its very widly known at all. Its a very "cool" mod, would make a very "cool" article :)

Which mod are you asking about? If you're looking for the vent in the front downtube, look under the bracket that holds the ignition coil. I would not recommend using this as the vent for the cooling mod, because in the event of an overflow you would be dumping hot ani-freeze directly on the coil-- :D probably not a good thing to do. Its no big deal to plug this hole with something like JBWeld and put in another tube to vent any overflow to the ground like RR's original set up.

If you're looking for the vent for the fuel in the frame mod, then sorry, never mind this whole reply :)

I vote for an article too. I think it would be very helpful and help anyone wanting to do it so they don't need to sift through all the threads. One question though: Can you do the fuel in the frame mod and the overflow mod? For me the fuel in the frame mod looks like a great option.

Yes you can.

Where did you get the 90' fittings for the frame to hose connection? I looked everywhere local. Lowe's. home-depot, ace, etc.

I think Red450 was the fella that used these fittings (I actually went the other way with an external catcher). Also I remember someone here saying they found some really cool aluminum fittings. RR.

A good place to locate a selection of fittings to do this modification with would be a automotive supplier. A brand name for these types of fittings is Weatherhead or Aeroquip. Most automotive suppliers will have a catalog that shows the different fittings.

To find these fittings, go to a tool supplier (air tools) . I changed from the baby bottle to the frame mod this weekend and it works great!