Sign in to follow this  

Why should I get a CRF over a KTM SX450?

Ive narrowed my search down to these two. Please help me decide. Mostly MX but some trail riding also.

The Honda is better!

I don't know which is "better". They are both good bikes so you may need to make your decision based on dealer support, which is closer/better, resale values and most important, which one is the neatest color :)

I have become a fairly frequent story swapper w/ the owner of a KTM, YAMAHA, GAS GAS, SUZUKI dealership, and I was talking to him about buying a 450 exc. He actualy told me that him and another KTM dealer had an ongoing joke "how do you ruin a perfectly good customer?...Sell him a KTM."

I couldn't believe it, I had heard nothing but good about them.

I still am not thoughouly convinced he was right, but he does own the place, He went on to ask me what kind of bike I already had and I told him a CRF 450. He asked why I would possibly want to replace it, being such a good bike and all.

I told him that I didn't want to, and that I really wanted two bikes. One for woods, and one for the track.

He asked if I was insane, and if I had money to burn. Then told me to stick with the CRF.

If he would have said one good thing about the KTM I probably would have bought it on the spot, probably wouldn't have been the wisest choice.

but.

You know, impulse and all. :)

Anyways I'd get the CRF again, and again, and again...... :D

Well, I'd say you had a little bit of a quandry there. For one, do you have money to burn to fix them both to the same standards? (They are not comparable off the floor). If it were me I would have to narrow it down. Which one comes standard with fat spokes & Excel rims? Magura (Pro Taper style) fat bars? How about a hydraulic clutch (the Honda's is beautiful when still new)? Which one has an O-ring chain (or is it important to you)? Which has a clear gas tank (may not apply to SX model)? Which one do you have to rebuild due to valves? Does either bike come new with the parts closer to riding the style of riding you do most?

Which bike will use more oil?

That's what I'd suggest to use to make up your mind. If it were me I'd give the KTM's a good look before just saying Honda. While I haven't ridden the 450 yet, I have ridden the 400sx and 520exc. These are not going to use the same amount of oil as a CRF. That's a nice thing. KTM's are not quite as light but I've got 2 dinged rims on my CRF that may not be if they were Excel rims. I know guys that love both and hate both so you gotta make up your mind on your own.

Honda uses cheap steel bars, cheap rims, cheap chains, and doesn't lube their bikes worth spit from the factory. To me, how (and with what parts) it is assembled reflects something about the company building the bike. (Honda certainly knows how to build a small cylinder motor-argueably the best in the world. Why they didn't put as much into this bike is beyond me. I can run a honda generator for days and not have it use oil but my honda uses oil every day-long ride).

Well, good luck. Best thing would be to ask more people that own them (try the ktm board too) and take a ride on each if possible. (That may sound hard but I know a lot of guys that let other riders try their bikes for a short spin. It's not uncommon).

Good luck!

P.S. The worst thing you can do is look at the initial sticker price and let that determine whether you will buy a bike. It's just not an accurate comparison without taking all the above mentioned factors into account. Once you start adding parts to the bike that doesn't have the features you want, you will be up to the cost of the bike that does.

Though I think Woodrider made a good post about selection. Why cant you figure out why the CRF burns oil? Look at that piston and stroke! Your generator doesnt turn high rpms or decelerate quickly hopefully. I think both bikes are excellent bikes for their applications.

Um. Duh. Just 'cause you have 1000+ posts on here doesn't mean that I can't figure out why my bike burns oil and my generator doesn't.

lol :)

It was just a musing that I made in print while posting.

I will not retract it though. I DO wish Honda cured the oil usage. For track guys it's no big deal. For serious off road use it is a bit of a pain. If they got the serious power with the reliability of the generator, then we'd have a bike that would please todos las personas!

i agree with your ktm comparison, woodsrider. i had a 520sx before the crf, and i loved it too. i don't know what that dealer was talking about. i've not talked to anyone who had a ktm and didn't like it. they're incredible offroad bikes. for all around use though, i like the crf. it just seems to do well everywhere. it handles better than the ktm did, and i like the brakes and suspension better. but as you mentioned, the components are far superior (i spent next to nothing on ktm upgrades) on the ktm. on a different note, i don't notice the oil use issue w/ the crf like some guys do.

btw, when are you heading back to baja?

<font color="orange">KTM.........just make sure you check all the bolts.......every ride. :)

everyone makes good points,but mxdarrel makes the best availability of parts.also what do your friends run,if they have hondas if you need a part they might have it.my buddy just bought a 450f only because of a weird money situation.dont let price make your desision unless you are strapped.but were i ride tons of crfs.and i carry many spare parts and i get poeple now and then that want to borrow and i am glad to,well maybe not glad but i do.oh by the way i have over 100hrs on my bike with no problems,GO RED!

With the $1000.00 +- cost diff. You can buy:

bars 100.00 (Whatever bend you want)

foot pegs 75.00 +-

excel rims about 500.00 (rims,spokes, and built) last I checked. After of course you thrash the stockers.

That leaves 375.00 for whatever else I missed.( juice clutch if you want one) or maybe a z-start w/ a few xtra $

I am not dissing KTM, I believe they make a great product and would probably still buy one, although I do not have money to burn, I 'm just telling you what he told me.

My friend, along w/ many others bought off of E_Bay for around $5400.00 delivered. They can still buy billet clamps, and a scotts w/ their savings...??(when I was looking @ KTM thry were around 7300.00+++ if I remember)

So you really can't compare parts, and if you buy a CRF and dump 1500.00 +- into it and set it mext to a KTM....well I guess that would all be in the eye of the beholder. :D

Get the one you like best, and don't look back!!

BTW, my crf only eats oil up to the half way piont, then it seems to stop :confused:so I only fill it to the halfway point and forget about it.(sight glass, not capacity) :)

With the $1000.00 +- cost diff. You can buy:

bars 100.00 (Whatever bend you want)

foot pegs 75.00 +-

excel rims about 500.00 (rims,spokes, and built) last I checked. After of course you thrash the stockers.

That leaves 375.00 for whatever else I missed.( juice clutch if you want one) or maybe a z-start w/ a few xtra $

I am not dissing KTM, I believe they make a great product and would probably still buy one, although I do not have money to burn, I 'm just telling you what he told me.

My friend, along w/ many others bought off of E_Bay for around $5400.00 delivered. They can still buy billet clamps, and a scotts w/ their savings...??(when I was looking @ KTM they were around 7300.00+++ if I remember)

So you really can't compare parts, and if you buy a CRF and dump 1500.00 +- into it and set it mext to a KTM....well I guess that would all be in the eye of the beholder. :D

Get the one you like best, and don't look back!!

BTW, my crf only eats oil up to the half way piont, then it seems to stop :confused:so I only fill it to the halfway point and forget about it.

Your right about the honda not being a "ride and put away" bike, but I like to tinker w/ mine as long as it's not exessive. I've done my valves once in 14 months, not to bad.

Otherwise (exept for after market parts) the bike has been flawless. :)

Just use the three S rule to make your decision.

Suspension suspension suspension.

The answer should be simple then.

Dear Friends

Hello ,I would say that the biggest reason to buy a Honda over any KTM is the issue of parts back up.I worked in a multi line dealership for years we sold Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki,Kawasaki and KTM.Parts were available mostly in 1 to 2 days from the Japenese and in about 3 weeks if at all from KTM.It was easy to make the daily special order min. from the japenese brands but it could be a week or more before the KTM min. was made.Recently KTM made a lot of noise aboout upgradeing their parts distribution system but as far as I can see not much has changed.When I had to deal with KTM's parts centers even for the dealer body you could not call them and even have them answer the phone during business hours most of the time, I think they were sick of having to tell thier dealers that they didn't have the part that thier customer desperately needed and had no idea when that part would be available.

All this being said if you really need a KTM get a 520,it's much faster than that 450 they sell.cheers

CRFWoodsrider,¡Usted sabe que usted no puede complacer a toda la gente todo el tiempo! :D :D Por la manera es 1056 postes/contestaciones! :)

Thats the reason he gave for ruining a perfectly good customer. He never realy said that the bike itself was a POS. just the company's parts availability policy.

I never rode a KTM 450, but the review between the YZ, KTM, and CRF had the KTM at the bottom of the barrel for worst handling and lack of power in comparison to the other two. I've had two CRF's (an '02 and now an '03) niether of which used oil and my '03 never needed a valve adjustment (my '02 needed one initially and not thereafter). The '03 CRF has been trouble free for me. I ride the Hell out of it and it keeps taking it and begging for more.

Both are great bikes, but when you need to get parts for your bike, the Honda will be easier to get. Good luck finding a KTM that always has the parts you need. From what I heard it always seems like the KTM dealers need to order the parts and even then your not guaranteed to get them.