Sign in to follow this  

Tranny Failure

I'll be brief with the story as I'm only telling it to vent off a little steam.

Came back from a great weekend in Baja. Performed the usual wash/oil change/airfilter clean. LOTS of metal came out with the full synthetic oil, and, to my dismay a VERY large piece of metal (so much so it would not come out of drain hole) sat in the lumen of the drain plug. Bad news I surmised.

Indeed, $980.00 worth of bad, 4th and 6th gear busted, and to add insult upon injury parts are back-ordered. This seems to be a reccurent problem for the orange company as I spend much time on these back-order lists with them.

I'm not sure much can be learned here as I've followed all the care and upkeep to a tee. I can say my confidence in this machine much like the tranny has been shattered.

Blue is looking good to me.

2002 520MXC

If the dealer is making you wait on parts and pay retail, I'd look else where.

Let's see if we can get you back on the road.... :D

First try here- I was in this shop Friday and they had 5 and 6th on the shelf for a SX to 6 Speed convertion that they didn't do:

LR'S MOTOZONE

LARRY ROESLER

92345 HESPERIA

9560 I AVE, STE B

CALIFORNIA

Phone 760-949-9050

Fax 760-949-7372

Website Link http://www.lrsmotozone.com

I don't know if the parts were for MXC or EXC, you'll have to call and find out. The REALLY interesting thing about that shop is LARRY himself is working on bikes! Not often you get an offroad LEGEND helping you with your bike! :D

Second - Go here www.ktmtalk.com

They have a "get a quote" service that will send you're request out to a long list of dealers all over the country. If somebody has the part they email you back! :D It's a good way to check a bunch of dealers fast! The parts will be at LEAST %15 off! :D

Third - www.cyclezonektm.com They have a large stock and I've had good luck with them. Ask for MIKE and tell him I(Chris in the Mojave) sent you from Thumpertalk.

If you don't find the parts shortly, pm me I've got a couple of other ideas.

Good Hunting! :)

My friend just lost 2nd and 3rd gears on his new 450sx. The bike only had about 7-10 rides.

thanks for the encouragement and ideas. hope is the key to recovery.

I went through the same thing last year with my SX. I was able to get the parts in a couple of days from Holeshot. Not the cheapest, but they were not far off on price and the owner drives to the Ohio distribution center himself once a week for pick up.

I've been thinking hard about going red, I rode a YZF and it didn't fit my height as well as the Honda. However, even after the frustration, I think I'm gonna stick to KTM. I am not a "glutton for punnishment", and since I have to pay for the bikes, brand loyalty means little. I just love the feel and power of these bikes. As I replied in a previous post the 450sx does scare me a little but the longstroke bike are amazing. I think the 450sx needs a little fine tuning which is already being addressed.