How do I get my tank back to white?

So my tank use to be white, and still is where the decals were, but everywhere else its kinda yellowed.

Is there anything I can do to get it back to white?

I used Mr. Clean Magic Eraser on my daughter's white tank and it did an excellent job. It didn't stay white for long though.

Try SoftScrub or dishwashing machine detergent.

There is really nothing you can do once it's turned yellow as the discoloration goes all the way thru the plastic. There are some tank covers available that you could put on your bike if it bothers you that much. I used to have a Yamaha that did the same thing so I know how you feel. Draining the tank after every ride and leaving it with the cap off so the fumes can escape will help keep it from getting worse.

Just for kicks and giggles I decided to see how deep the yellowing goes. I figured the tank looks jacked anyway so a little scuffing of some sand paper isn't going to make it worse.

I sanded on a spot for a little while and found the yellowing is only on the surface, and I will be able to sand down to white fairly easily. I assume this yellowing is from sunlight as apposed to gas saturation.

So my plan is to get some different grit wet sanding paper and wet sand it down and get it as smooth as possible and get a pollishing ball or something and some plastic polish or buffing compound and see if I can get it shiney.

I'll post results when I get it done.

Just for kicks and giggles I decided to see how deep the yellowing goes. I figured the tank looks jacked anyway so a little scuffing of some sand paper isn't going to make it worse.

I sanded on a spot for a little while and found the yellowing is only on the surface, and I will be able to sand down to white fairly easily. I assume this yellowing is from sunlight as apposed to gas saturation.

So my plan is to get some different grit wet sanding paper and wet sand it down and get it as smooth as possible and get a pollishing ball or something and some plastic polish or buffing compound and see if I can get it shiney.

I'll post results when I get it done.

Cant wait for the results :worthy:

Cant wait for the results :worthy:

hopefully it works, but it can't get any worse than it is now

So my tank use to be white, and still is where the decals were, but everywhere else its kinda yellowed.

Is there anything I can do to get it back to white?

You can easily bring it back to white. You are on the right track with using fine grit sandpaper, you can also wash it with steel wool and it will get white. Getting the shine back is a different story, but white makes a big difference.

You can easily bring it back to white. You are on the right track with using fine grit sandpaper, you can also wash it with steel wool and it will get white. Getting the shine back is a different story, but white makes a big difference.

I'd be ok with dull if I can get it back to white, though I'm pretty sure with a buffing wheel of some type and some buffing compund I can get the shine back too.

I've seen someone take a clear plastic handle with a logo, sand it off and then buff it out to look like new

I'd be ok with dull if I can get it back to white, though I'm pretty sure with a buffing wheel of some type and some buffing compund I can get the shine back too.

I've seen someone take a clear plastic handle with a logo, sand it off and then buff it out to look like new

Do let us know if you find a way to get the shine back. Would love to do that on my 650L tank.

Do let us know if you find a way to get the shine back. Would love to do that on my 650L tank.

will do! If it work I'll be just as surprised and happy as anyone else :worthy:

It works, did mine a few days ago after I bought it. It does not go all the way through and it can be polished out and shine like new with some elbow grease and a plastic polish kit. Mine would look new if it did not have the deep scratches from years of use. I'll tell you a couple things if you have not polished plastic before practice on some small spots before you tackle the whole job, it takes alot of elbow grease to do it right. If you use anything powered you will melt the plastic. I used to restore Pontiac Muscle cars and did alot of plastic back in the day. I used 800 grit wet/dry sandpaper wet to get the yellow off then went to some polishing cloths that come in ultra fine grits also used wet, took it down to like 2000grit with the cloths then went to the plastic polish. It was alot of work, not sure if I would do it again. I just wanted it white again before I installed the new graphics.

get the shine back in your tank (and get rid of the scratches) by heating it with a heat gun (the ones used for heat shrinking cables etc)

Works a treat.

Just keep it on long enough to ever so slightly melt the surface, then carefully work your way round the whole tank.

I would highly recomend draining it and venting it over night first hehe

Ive only tried it with my red tank and it looks great, i spose its possible the white wouldnt work so well.

I wonder if you could just bleach the yellow back to white by soaking it in common household bleach?

I dont know abour your plastic but mine does not look nearly that bad.I would never use a coating over the top of my plastic on my bike, its bound to come off, flake off with use. I guess if you have an old bike you want to sell this will work great for you. You still have to get the yellow off of the tank and four ought steel wool is going to take a long time to do it.

I dont know abour your plastic but mine does not look nearly that bad.I would never use a coating over the top of my plastic on my bike, its bound to come off, flake off with use. I guess if you have an old bike you want to sell this will work great for you. You still have to get the yellow off of the tank and four ought steel wool is going to take a long time to do it.

that's why I'm going to start with 220 and wet sand it, and keep getting finer and finer, and eventually try and polish it to a shine.

We'll see, it may end up being dull, but at least it'll be white

Mine was really bad so I took my vibrating sander to it with some 220 on it and it cleaned up pretty good then I used some stuff that is made to get the black streaks off of our RV and it's a big enough difference that my wife thought I bought a new tank...

Mine was really bad so I took my vibrating sander to it with some 220 on it and it cleaned up pretty good then I used some stuff that is made to get the black streaks off of our RV and it's a big enough difference that my wife thought I bought a new tank...

Pics please :worthy: And on a random note do you think having tank decals adds value to a bike compared to a bare tank?

Gotta get me some of whatever Michael Jackson was on back in the eighties. Hey he got really white so maybe if I rubbed some of it on the old tank.......