Sign in to follow this  

Headpipe clearance over oil filter

What year did Yamaha start making head pipes that would clear the oil filter without having to loosen up the headpipe?

I just bought one off a 01 426 and it dosent clear. I thought that was the year they started clearing the access cover to the filter.

I have a 2000 I bought used with a stock pipe and I never had any problems pulling the filter? Never could figure out why everyone else had a hard time. Maybe the previous owner changed the headpipe but I doubt it. Is there a possibility that where you rotate it in the head makes a difference? :)

I'm with Fastest1 here. My 98 YZ has the stock header, and I can get the filter out no problem, it's never in the way...

It must be that it's twisted slightly different at the motor or something... ???

My '01 clears fine. I heard of the problem with earlier models. I think my manual even speaks of it, but mine clears no prob.

I had a 99 and it was a pain to get the filter out, had to loosen the head pipe. (Until I got a replacement header, FMF I think)

Now I have a 01 and a powerbomb header and I don't have to loosen it to get the filter out. I forget if I had to loosen it with the stock header, but I don't think so.

What I was saying is if you loosened all of the bolts in the muffler system couldnt you rotate it so you would have clearance? Then just tighten it in that position? I have never tried with mine it just always worked.

I own the 03 450 and the manual says to remove the head pipe completely to remove the oil filter....so far 5 oil changes and I have yet to remove or even loosen head pipe bolts.

Sometimes I just gotta wonder.....

Where you been the last couple of years????? :)

I know that this has been discussed a billion times. :D

Kind of like that last post of yours from the far reaches of time...... :D

Are You Getting Half-Heimers on Us? :D

Bonzai :D

What I was saying is if you loosened all of the bolts in the muffler system couldnt you rotate it so you would have clearance? Then just tighten it in that position? I have never tried with mine it just always worked.

I wondered if this would work but I just never tried because I figured it wouldnt line up with the silencer. :)

Sometimes I just gotta wonder.....

Where you been the last couple of years?????

I know that this has been discussed a billion times.

Kind of like that last post of yours from the far reaches of time......

Are You Getting Half-Heimers on Us?

If its something I have never messed with before then I dont recall particular discussion on it. Probably because I never read the thread. :)

I have had my stock 99 header on my bike since day 1. Untill last night!

So ease up bro! :D Or should I say "Mr. Know it all!" :D I guess I truly should have known...

BTW: For taking a extended leave of absence, you sure are around a awful lot! :D :D

I have a 99 and you have to remove the header pipe to take off the oil filter. I never did loosen the bolts and try it that way. That Might of worked. I think Yamaha changed this in 00. But with my Powerbomb header pipe it comes way above the oil filter now.

yz007f

I have a 99 and I have to loosen the header pipe and rotate it out of the way to clear the filter housing.It wont tighten up right in the rotated position,I tried.It was my understanding that the 01s cleared the oil filter though.

Hey Darin.....

How about that Gray wire ?????? Did you finally cut it or are you still hanging back a bit, waiting for more (Than 4 years) worth of data........ Jeeeezzzzz ! :D

Lately I have returned Just to review your post's, Kind of like going back thru a time machine :D

It's all good !

And sometimes even entertaining..... :)

Bonzai :D

WHAT!!!!????? These things have an oil filter?? :)

Just kidding, though I hope all of you knew that already.

My 99 I tried to loosen all of the bolts and rotate the head pipe but it didn't work. I just figure part of the maintenance now.

Hey Darin, I forgot to answer your question on one of the posts. We are Chadwick bound the weekend of the 29th and I will cut you a piece of that aluminum. I might even cut it to rough size for you so all you have to do is file. Will see you then if the weather cooperates.

Eric

How about that Gray wire ?????? Did you finally cut it or are you still hanging back a bit, waiting for more (Than 4 years) worth of data........ Jeeeezzzzz !

Actually, yea, I did get the grey wire cut. And as I suspected, I couldnt tell one bit of difference. I just wasnt "juiced up" to do all those mods back then. I figured my bike ran great enough as was, why mess with it?

But now that I have ridden a KTM520 and liked it A LOT, then I figured Im gonna have to try some new stuff to play catch up.

Yea, I know all this stuff has been cover hundereds of times since Ive been around. I just had no intrest in trying any of them before.

(still not sure why I messed with the grey wire) :D

I think the header pipe question was legitimate though. I just couldnt remember which year they raised the stock headers up to clear the filter access.

Are you sure you weren't sold an older model headpipe by mistake?

This was the first thing that popped in my head when I saw it didnt clear.

We are Chadwick bound the weekend of the 29th and I will cut you a piece of that aluminum. I might even cut it to rough size for you so all you have to do is file.

Sounds great Eric. Im working on making my own right now. I got the material but I keep cutting the aluminum too short on one side and I have to keep starting over. (Im sure I would have flunked shop class if I would have paid attention) :) Mabye its because I dont have any REAL shop tools and Im using a hacksaw to cut it. :D

If you dont mind bring it anyways and if I cant get mine together by then, then I'd be happy to take your extra.

I definatly want to try out the JamesNow before we go to Turkey Bay on Apr 11-13th.

BTW: Check your PM's!

I've got a '99 and didn't have much problems with romoving the oil filter until I installed the FMF Q Series Muffler. I use to just loosen the head pipe nut and bolt, and the clamp and rotate it out the way. The fit of the FMF Q Series is much tighter on the head pipe and makes it much more difficult to rotate the head pipe. What muffler do you have on your bike? If it is aftermarket, it might fit the head pipe tighter and not allow you to rotate it enough out of the way.

My 00 doesn't clear the oil filter. I think if you loosen it and twist it up, then it won't line up properly in the rear. I'll check when I pick back up on the spring maintenance and post the results.

Darin, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the 98 and 99 models had the ole "loosen the head pipe" oil change while the 01's and up don't require it. Did we cover this? I dunno, maybe, but it was a long time ago and I don't even remember.. But I've got all the time in the world for you my friend.... I always enjoy your input.... You're one of the good ones :)

Cheers, your friend, Dan