Octane boosters the truth?

Hey, I was always under the impression that if you bought an octane booster that claims it raises the octane level of X amount of gallons 5 points this is what it meant.Say you have 93 octane fuel you add the correct amount of booster to then end up with 98 octane (if it is a 5 point octane booster).I am now finding this is not the case.This raises octane 5 points /.05 points or a half point.You would end up with 93.5 octane not 98 like myself and I'm sure many of you think.Here is a link to a site where making your own octane booster =http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/misc/octanebooster.html with chemicals found in a paint supply store.

Seems a bit off the wall but there are a ton of turbo guys using this homemade brew.Turbo motors are very sensative to detonation and can absolutely toast a forced induction motor in no time.Thought this was interesting to find out.

i find most retail gasoline additives are a total waste of money , some people actually believe what they claim on the label .

you're link for the home brew is not working , i might like to try that .

Once you make the homemade octane brer, how much do you add to a gallon of 93-pump gas to get a 100 true octane? Has anyone tried this?

Gas in a bottle

Water in a bottle

Who would have guessed :)

Yeah that sounds pretty dangerous, sounds like that viton stuff when it goes above a set temp(like in a fire) it emits a clear liquid and if you get it on your self it enters your bone mass pritty quicky the only warning your get is that the pigment on your skin where it contacts the skin turns white and at this point they have to start amputateing the bone mass in that area ,the longer its left the more bone mass it enters the more has to come off,allways makes me think what if you got it on your fingers and then you scatched your head ,you'd no longer be worried out looseing your hand/arm.And remember apparently this stuff is used in a lot of oilseals car dash boards and interiors so be carefull around burnt out cars and the like.

Ian

Yeah that sounds pretty dangerous, sounds like that viton stuff when it goes above a set temp(like in a fire) it emits a clear liquid and if you get it on your self it enters your bone mass pritty quicky the only warning your get is that the pigment on your skin where it contacts the skin turns white and at this point they have to start amputateing the bone mass in that area ,the longer its left the more bone mass it enters the more has to come off,allways makes me think what if you got it on your fingers and then you scatched your head ,you'd no longer be worried out looseing your hand/arm.And remember apparently this stuff is used in a lot of oilseals car dash boards and interiors so be carefull around burnt out cars and the like.

Viton is made from a fluorocarbon that makes it withstand high temps and alot of chemicals that butyl and nitrile can't touch without melting. Fluorocarbons are the main ingredient in Scotch-Gard. When Viton melts it will release some hydrogen fluoride (HF) as a gas, but not enough to cause one to melt down. As a side note when plastic wrap (saran wrap) melts it releases hydrogen chloride (HCL or hydrochloric acid) did you melt down last time you threw plastic wrap on the fire? Think about it, anyone can work safely with chemicals if they take the time to do it with adequate personal protection and in a well ventilated area!!!!

I was at Home Depo yesterday and inquired about Toulene & Xylene, as I thought, they don't carry it.

Again, how much of this brew does one need to add to a gallon of gas to get his octane up from 92 octane to the 100 range?

I can see one of us being jacked up as some suspected terrorist bomber, while we are running around asking question about Xylene and Tolulene and how much is it if I buy 100 gallons!!! Andrew

try a real paint store like kwals or sherwin williams.they should have both!xylene is deadly stuff.my dad used to make his own race gas with it.that is wicked sh@T!you can smell it forever. :)

Ok your dad used to make the stuff, does it work? And how much do you add to a gallon of pump gas?

So Eddie,

If you sniff the stuff. Do you then turn a better wrench? :)

Ok your dad used to make the stuff, does it work? And how much do you add to a gallon of pump gas?

couldnt tell you,nor would i condone it.my dad died at 49 from lymph node cancer.cant say for sure,but messing around with chemicals like that doesnt make your chances any better.you know what i mean? :)

If you sniff the stuff. Do you then turn a better wrench?

i think you become a dead wrench! :)

I've spent a lot of time going down the octane road. What is being described on this post is known in some circles of drag racing as a witch's brew. OK, disclaimer: I spent 10 minutes in chemistry in college. So, I take the word of others on octane and how to boost it. The best way is to buy the fuel from your local track,shop. Our bikes don't burn enough fuel to even begin justifying mixing that stuff at home. Yes, I have heard stories of people ruining their rings on this stuff. Even burning down their homes. Please don't mix this stuff. I have an article on octane somewhere around here, I'll try and find it and post a link to it.

Here's a bomb shell for everyone. If you mix two different octanes,say 85 and 90 what octane do you get? Depending on the ratio, you'll actually get a higher octane than the 90. Why? I don't have a clue, see disclaimer above. I do know that with my Firebird, if I put in 5 gallons of 100, and have just a couple gallons of 91 in the tank, the car's ET's will improve and so will cooliong. Any more 91 than that there is no improvement and sometimes the car will slow down. Now when I say improved ET's I'm not talking even tenths. Just 100's.

I spent a good part of the 70's learning how to make power through the use of chemistry. Most of what we used isn't easily available anymore, for good reasons. The stuff is dangerous to people and engines. Remember that octane doesn't make power, it allows you to do other things that help. If the motor isn't knocking, octane isn't going to help. A stock Z runs just fine on 90 octane pump gas. If you have made mods that raise the octane requirements (compression is the usual cause), mix 50/50 race gas and pump gas like the pros do. The people making race gas are good and know what they are doing. The odds of any of us matching what they do is slim. However, I am fortunate in that I live where race gas is easy to get. If it wasn't, I would try some of the commercial Octane Boosters the auto parts stores carry.

I've been doing the 50/50 mix for the last year or so and have found with the mix the Z will not stall. The long burn that the 110/91-octane mix gives me makes the knarly goat trails that I some how end up on great fun. No feathering the clutch it just rolls through and over everything.

I'm a fan of pump gas when we do desert but the 50/50 works excellent in the tight stuff.

I wouldn't consider mixing but that's just because I know better and race gas is readily available where I live.

Did you mill your head or any other mods? 90-94 is all most MX engines need. Now, want to make a real difference? Look into some of the custom fuels you can buy. Read up and see just how bad most pump gas is for your bike. I won’t pimp for one brand but the pros use the stuff and the literature claims a 4-6% power increase. Most pipe silencer combos cant claim 6%. Not to mention all the deposits pump gas leaves behind. Aviation fuel will rust up a street bike tank in two weeks. Mixing the two? Pump and some race gas? Like throwing the dice. My DRZ my pals KTM525 and my RM all run much better on the can stuff. My wife’s 80 has three years of riding on it and the exhaust port is still clean looking. One of them just came out with a 4stroke specific blend and I’m reading great things about it. In any case, have fun and ride safe.

5/25/01.

I saw Xylene at Home Depo yesterday for $9.5 gal in the paint department.

Please DO NOT MIX OR SNIFF that stuff. I don't want anything bad happening to you guys. Race gas in a stock DRZ is a luxury. I use it, and I think it runs a touch crisper through the rpm range. I like it for its storage ability, no gunk build up. I use Phillips 66 TT100(100 octane unleaded), $3.50 a gallon. DRZ's get good milage, so it's not to expensive to use.