Please Read! Broken welds on foot peg

At practice last night I overjumped and flat landed pretty hard. I felt my right foot hit the ground...I barely kept from crashing and lucky not to have broken something.

When I looked down I saw my right foot peg dangling.

It was evident the weld on the top mount broke loose from the frame. :) I got a flashlight and looked real close and noticed at the break there was only a small amount of metal was ever holding because the rest was dingy and obvious had been cracked for some time.

Some guys standing around came over and looked my bike and to my surprise 2 of them had the exact same thing happen to their bikes :D Both said they were just like mine..on the kickstarter side. And both YZ's one a 250F and the other a 450F :D

I've never heard of anyone on a YZ426F breaking their footpeg welds, but this got me to thinking.

Q:Could the kick starter hammering the foot peg cause that sorta stress and just how many of you guys have had this happen to them?

I'm considering having it rewelded but I'd like to get some advice from someone who has already done that.

Please check your foot peg welds ASAP.

Good post and good point. Worth checking out.

Can you post some pics?

No. It was improperly welded at the factory. It is roboticaly welded, and it must not have been lined up perfectly. I would take it back to your dealer to show him. Maybe they would do something about it. Of course, if they don't, then you could have it welded correctly by a competent welder and you should never have anymore trouble. Maniac

This happened to me on my old YZ 250.

One thing I noticed was that the tabs are only welded on one side. I had them rewelded by a pro on both sides of the tab. You will have to mod the peg to clear the inside weld but it was much stronger than stock.

After washing your bike you should spray wd40 on the foot peg mounts. Water gets in there and rusts. If it starts to crack it will crack and rust, crack more and rust, crack even more and rust until it breaks off.

just my 2cents.

Kirtwell, you sure its not from that big foot of yours!!!!You know the one that keeps kicking the rest of us in the ***.I say break the other one off and get some wider ones anyway.Im glad you didn't get hurt,see you next wekend at munester Tx

I would just bring to a welding shop and have it heliarced.

Should take 5 minutes.

That side is always the one that breaks, the hammering from the kickstart fatigues the weld.

Your lucky, you could have gotten hurt.

After your good advice...I felt assured re-welding the foot peg mount back on would be OK.

I took it to a certified aircraft welder and man this guy was good..I promise to post a pic of his welds...they were flawless. Here's the pic of the broken peg the next morning......I kept the bike in the back of my truck and it rained :) So that's where some of the rust came from.

there is no need in getting it heli-arced.the best repair is to remove all rust and paint from the surrounding area to be welded.then use a mig gun with .035 wire and about 150 amps of heat...get any competant welder to do it.. it will take about 3 do. mig is the best method because the process doesn't tend to undercut the existing metal.I have welded footpegs and frames for years and this is the best method...Aircraft welders cost 65.00 per hour.

if you were in Easton I would do it for free...

good luck..

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By yz480doinwork
      Brand new, still in the packaging Lexx end cap fits the stock muffler of 2006 & 2007 YZ450f and 06-13 YZ250f. Comes with a forest service approved spark arrestor and two different size tips. Don't spend hundreds of dollars on a slip on, this tip can be quiet and forest legal or loud and make power! Also a note for WR450 guys: get this tip and find a used 06/07 YZ muffler, fits directly on 09-15 WR450. $80 shipped free to the lower 48. PM, call or text 406-223-8789
    • By Woody Oakson
      So I have a 2008 yz450f and I would like to add some LED lights to it to make it street legal. Mainly just a headlight and a tail light and turn signals if I need to (which where I live hand signals work).
      So where I need help is getting power from the stator to a battery. Wiring from a battery to anything else I got and understand and don't need help with (but recommendations are welcome). So my questions are.
      What type of power is coming from the stator. AC or DC? Will I need a regulator or rectifier? How do I wire something from the stator to charge a battery? What would that wiring look like? Would this stator work? Anything else I should know? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
    • By Samx22x
      Alright so I’m new to the site so maybe this question has already been asked. I have a 2002 Yz426f and I want a new exhaust, it has the stock header and silencer and sounds amazing but I’d like a little more from it, I know I want the fmf power bomb header and am kind of undecided on the silencer, I see on fmf’s website that their silencer will add low end and slightly take from top end and the other way around but I’m looking for increases throughout rpm range. I do a lot of trail, hill climbs, jumps, and wheelies so kind of need good performance everywhere in the rpms. My question is what silencer I should get and the jetting I should get for the carb. Thanks
    • By Zack Ailing
      hey guys just picked up a new project bike. Its a 2008 Yz450f with a big bore kit and a stroker crank. The total cc of the engine is now 499. It runs on race gas and will be an absolute monster when shes ready to rip. I will continue to make more videos on the bike so stay tuned Link to the video: 
    • By High On Octane
      2005 YZ450F, Athena Big Bore, Power Bomb, Q4.
      Ok.  Last fall after a decently hot day at the track, I noticed coolant leaking from the weep hole on my water pump after pulling into the pits.  Ordered an Athena re-seal kit, put it all back together and didn't really get a chance to ride it.  3 weeks ago, went out to the track, and after about 20 laps, it started leaking again.  Kept filling it with water to get thru the day, never ran anywhere close to dry or empty, jut a cup or 2 low.  Ordered a Hot Rods re-seal kit with bearing and also ordered a new w/p shaft.  Did it all again and got it back together, ran it, and as soon as it got to temp, it was leaking out of the weep hole again.
      So, what the heck am I missing?  I'm totally stumped on this one.  Is something wrong with my case cover?  Do I need to replace the w/p itself?  I'm feeling like I should've just ponied up for the Boysen in the first place, and now it's biting me in the butt.  Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!