Conversation with YOSH CDI Box Info

Just had a very interesting conversation with Sean at YOSH technical dept about CDI boxes. Take it for what you will because he said it, I didn't:

According to him, the only difference in the YOSH CDI is the rev limiter is set at 11000. The CDI in the E model is set at 9700. The S model kicks in at 10,000 due to being wound out on the street with smoother cams! I was kind of leary since this was diff than anything else I had heard, so I asked him several different ways and he said that was the deal! He said the YOSH cams would cause you to hit the box at half throttle, so that is the only reason for the higher limit. He also said the S and E would interchange with no problem, but the green (kickstand) wire needed to be pulled out of the S harness plug if E CDI is used on S (like BURNED has already told us!).

Just some tidbits I thought you might be interested in! :) Andrew

good info!of course its different everytime you talk to somebody there.last time talked to them the box had a different advance curve also.

they never knew about the green wire deal until they heard it form here.mnelson78 and others talked to them about it and they were told it just wouldnt work.or something with the kick stand system.they do not deal with S much so its understandable.

any body else wanna call for a new story? :)

Funny I talked to them today before reading this the guys name was Craig and he said all the CDI box did was raise your RPM from 10,000 to 11,000.You know in one of my posts I had complained about an elec. shortage on the start of the 1st GNCC and at the last race this weekend it was messing up on the starting line again so I eased off (not by choice it want accept throttle when this mystery happens) and ran it around the parking lot and she finnaly straightened her self out.So I went back to the line and the guys were like "hey didn't that happen to you last week" what could I say I did manage to get fourth in on the start but the problem happened again right into the race and I called it quits.At the car wash she wouldn't run worth a flip I tried everything.Then I got home and put the good ole stock CDI box in place and she ran fine.That's where the call to yoshi came from they said just send her back like it was no big deal after he immediatly thought I was referring to the GSXR CDI box like it was a regular occurance.Hmmm! Still didn't seem to be surprised though.I asked if I could run the stock CDI and said yeah there is no difference besides the rev limiter.I wan't too sure about making a post about that issue until I have the final verdict but I am 99% sure the yosh box is the culprit and I could flat kick Fujio Yoshimura's ass for ruining my races and costing me so much money I let everyone know how it turns out.

Make sure and let YOSH know how you feel and the money they cost you. They may kick in some type of hardware perk to make amends...then you can sell it to us! Anyway, givem ell just because they should be the step above...Andrew

I wish I had a way to scan because I have the installation instructions. The ONLY difference between a E box is the rpm. 10.5 to 11,000. It states clearly that the curves are the same. Maybe more of an improvement for us S guys but does little for an E.

Quote from the Technical Parts service manual...

"This racing ignitor has been changed. the rev limit from 10500 to 11000.No ignition time has been changed."

Remember its the same as an E, not an S.

that settles it!must be than.thanks crisis!

it definately has different curve than the S feel the difference in the mid range. :)

and the rest of it is in japanese :)

and the rest of it is in japanese

thats the coolest part!they could be making fun of round eye and you not know it! :)

I am going to have to hold my thought on thinking the yosh CDI is to blame.I havn't had it out of the garage and it is a sparatic occurance so dont't hold me to it.I will know in a day or two if I should put my foot in my mouth.

did you clean the powder coat off your frame where the grounds are?at the coil mount?

Yeah twice maybe three times with a dremel.Any other suggestions would greatly be appreciated private or not.

My bad it is not the yoshi cdi box. Good thing I didn't claim it 100%. Just have no spark.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By BikeChimp
      I'd like to turn my UK 2004 DRZ400S back to stock airbox (snorkel) and jets, needle shim position etc
      When I bought it the PO had fitted a Sigma6 kit and done the 3x3 mod but is doesn't have a tapered needle like the JD and other kits. Took me ages to get it running right, however it still runs rich and I'm fed up of arsing around with it. 
      So I've bought a standard airbox without 3x3 hole, stock exhaust.
      Q1 The Suzuki manual says this Mukuni BSR36 (29FA) carb should have a 142.5 Main Jet but the Clymer manual say its a 135.  In UK everything's from sea level to 1000m. I'm in Sheffield so nothing gets above 500m even in the Peaks (Hills). Any UK owners or anyone else know what the correct jet should be?
      Q2 Says the original needle is a '5DH36-2nd'. The needle has 5 notches on it. Currently set at 2 clip from bottom. The Suzuki reference says needle is 5DH36-2nd, Does the 2nd bit mean 2nd from top or bottom?
      Q3 - Does anyone have a detailed photo of the shim order just in case it was assembled wrong. (mine is attached)
      I know most people on here are going to be horrified I'm taking back to stock but any help on above would be really appreciated.

• By Bgringo
      I've read a lot of threads about this but still haven't found exactly what I'm looking for.  I'm pulling my 2004 DRZ400S out of storage sometime this week and getting it ready for the season.  I live at 9,000 ft, but my first ride of the year is probably going to be at around 5,000 ft.  I was going to pull the 145 main jet I'm running and put in the 150 adjusting the needle from the 2 clip to the 3rd, then re-jet once I got home.  I already have the extended fuel mixture screw in place so I started thinking that I should just run the 150 jet set up and adjust the fuel screw to compensate for the higher elevation where I'll be doing most of my riding.  I will be going down in elevation for rides until late May or June depending on snowfall, but riding on the street when I'm able.  Are there any disadvantages with this?
      I'm new to posting on this forum, so please forgive me if I didn't get the right search words in and there is already a post about this.
    • By Markl5557
      I am currently running 10w 40 Belray non synthetic and I want to switch to full synthetic amsoil .... is it ok to switch from regular to synthetic? I have read it’s not safe to go from synthetic to regular can someone explain if it’s safe to go from regular to synthetic!? Thanks !
    • By RockyMtnMark
      Good Morning,
        Last night I measured my valve clearances for the very first time (I know...) on my DRZ400S.  It's a 2002 and I've owned is since 2011.  I bought it with t's got about 15,000 miles on it and most of it's miles these days are on dirt.
      Intake specs are 0.10-0.20 mm.  Exhaust specs are 0.20-0.30
      My intake valve clearances are in spec, forgot to write them down.  My exhaust valve clearances are between 0.1778 and 0.2032 which is slightly out of spec.  They are no more than 25 microns out of spec.  My question is, do I really need to shim these?  Will this kind of out-of-spec cause performance, mechanical, or other losses?  As far as I can tell, I'd have to buy a whole shim kit which is like $80.  Thanks!
    • By Zach440
      Selling my 2009 Drz400sm. Been a great bike but it’s time to let go . Not looking for any trades - spring is just around the corner ! Located in northern Virginia . Cash only $4200- willing to negotiate I have some wolfman luggage options available as well. Love to make a package deal for someone 

-11640 miles . Mild off-road never wrecked.
      -Oil / filter changed every 1500 miles
      -New did chain , brake pads , front sprocket at 10400 miles .
      - valves checked and within spec at 10,000
      - jetted with JD kit and 3x3 mod
      -doubletake mirrors
      -waterproof usb wired and located next to Speedo
      - drc large foot pegs , barkbusters with integrated turn signals . 12oclocklabs tall delete with upgraded circuit board
      -thumpertalk case savers
      -sergeant seat (amazing) and Clarke 3.9 tank (190mile range )
      - fog lights wired in so they shut off with high beams
      -Shorai lithium battery
      -led headlight

- stock gas tank and seat will be included

The bike is dirty in photos and I apologize my water is currently disabled outside due to freezing temps . Radiator guards and skid plate NOT included but can be for some extra $$. Rear tire could be replaced but front is fine .