Hard to start

I hope some of you guys can help me out. Last week I checked my valves for the five hundreth time and realized the decompresion arm (or what ever it is called)was a little tight re. the tech sheets I got off this site a while back. I ajusted it to specs but when I tried to start it I thought I was back on my old yz426. I took it back apart and re checked it and again got the same results. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Justin

Is it hard to start or won't start? If it flat won't start then replace the plug,and you should be good to go. I mean exactly what is happening? In the cold, twist the throttle 4-5 times and make sure you don't put your hand on the throttle when you're kicking.As far as the decompresor arm, are you using the two feeler guage method? If so, you're doing it right.

read My post! Get an NGK plug (stock Denso is garbage and mine wouldnt start) and adjust the decompression to I believe .014 like the manual says. Mine was a little loose, but starts 1st kick EVERY time now. Im also 1.25 turns out on the fuel screw

Check to see if your kill button is shorting out or is cut somewhere. Sometimes when you use tie downs and the pressure cuts the kills switch. Also check all of the other wiring harnesses. Bikes only need fuel, air, and spark.

SOUNDS LIKE YOU ADJUSTED THE DECOMPRESSION ARM ON THE WRONG STROKE OF TIMING. MAKE SURE WHEN YOU GET IT IN TIME THAT THE LOBES ON THE CAM ARE DOWN. I BELIEVE THAT THE DECOMPRESSION ARM SHOULD ONLY GET LOOSE, NOT TIGHT.

Dear Balzee 450

Are you sure that you adjusted the decomp correctly,the manual can be a bit confuseing.The adjustment must take place on the compression stroke ie watch the cam lobes on the intake open then close the valves the set the marks on the cam sprocket to the pointer cast into the cam tower.

after this all valves should be at the correct clearance,check this again and you need to know the clearance on the exhaust valve that the decompressor acts on.The leave the feeler guage with the clearance for the right exhaust valve in there between the rocker arm and the valve and now adjust the decomp to say .014,this meathod is spelled out in a wrench report sent to dealers by American Honda,hope this helps.Cheers

It starts and runs great it's just really hard to kick. Thanks guys I will check it again.

My decomp valve was about .003 out and it was like jumping on a divign board to start it. Now, that its .014 out, it starts 1st kick without even standing on my kickstand... Its ALOT easier now...