Sign in to follow this  

Airbox Tip for XR owners

Here's a tip for XR owners.

The first thing anyone does when they first purchase a Honda XR, is remove the snorkle or baffle in the airbox.

It really helps the bike breathe, but I was a little concerned about junk making it's way in the airbox. I wanted to put filtration material on the opening but wanted something a little more professional looking than duct tape.

Here's what I did:

Go down to Wal-Mart and get a Rubbermaid Servin' Saver Plus storage bowl (the 750mL size). It is rectangular and the top is a perfect fit for the opening on the airboxes of XR200's and 250's. You just have to cut out the center section out with a utility or exacto knife. It is even detented for easy cutting!

While at the store, pick up a pack of Vent Filters. I got the Electrostatic Register Filtration type that are 4" by 12". I cut them in half and it fits over the airbox opening perfectly. Then you just place the top of the storage bowl over that!

You have an efficient, sano filter. You can even put a little filter oil or WD40 on it to help with dust.

I know it works for XR200 and XR250. I probably works for other XR's. The bowl top fit snug in between the frame rails.

Try it out, it works great!!

I just have the top of my airbox open, and clean and oil the filter after every ride. I make sure the drain is clear and free of dirt, so water, if it ever gets in there, will drain out. I don't see any other reason to filter that opening, when there is a filter before the carb!

I feel a little out of place reponding to something Corey said prior to Keithco responding but I've got things to do and I can't wait any longer.

I agree with Corey. A clean and properly oiled filter is all that is required. I've ridden in just about every condition and have never seen a time when something additional was needed. You've put some thought into it and I commend you for that but I feel some of these are counter productive and actually add restriction rather than what is desired, that being less restriction and a more free flowing intake.

The snorkle removal mod is beneficial but it's only one of several things that can be and should be done to a stock XR. Performing the "Gordon Mods" should be required of all new XR owners. Not only do they allow the XR to perform at a higher level but they afford the owner an opportunity to better understand thier new bike and the affects intake and exhaust has on the engine.

For more info on these mods search this site or check out the post - snorkle hole. Kev XR has a link to them in his reply.

Have fun.

I'm a big advocate of running a sheet of 3/4" oiled pre-filter foam over the top of the airbox. The inside of my airbox is really clean and the filter stays pretty clean.

I can open the side panel and pull out the pre-filter if needed. I've run the bike with and without it and can't tell the difference.

I have photos of it posted in the files section of the XR400 group on groups.yahoo.com.

I can see a huge benefit in desert conditions. One of the areas we ride (near Bend, OR) is all volcanic dust and it really clings to an air filter. A prefilter with washable element would be quite beneficial for our multi day camping trips. One day of riding and your filter is plugged, a prefilter would be easier than replacing the filter in the middle of the weekend.

Ryan

A little idea you might think about, Kevin. Your airbox inside is clean all the time? What about putting a thin layer of grease around the inside walls ot the box, so the dust/dirt sticks to it and not all on the pre-filter, restricting air flow. Dirt will still get trapped in the stock air filter itself, but if the inside walls stay clean, then why run a filter inside at all? If I was riding in the dust that thick, then I could see your point, by taking the pre-filter out, during a race only situation. I'm not dogging your idea, just another thought to go with it.

What ever...

I was shown using a prefilter by my friend in Oregon.

We were riding in areas with really thick red dust.

One rider could obscure the trail for 5 minutes in spots.

It's more pourous than the main filter, it just catches some of the dirt on the way to the filter.

Take a look at the photos.

I've recently completed all of Gordon's mods and have not had the chance to try it out yet except for up and down my very short street. Incredible how the front wheel pulls right up now. I ground out the header welds, drilled 3 holes in the exhaust tip plate and ran a uni-filter last year. On my last ride of last year I pulled the snorkle out and felt the motor was not getting enough gas for the increased air it was getting. This really confirmed the need to re-jet (60 & 160) I don't understand how other xr owners pull there snorkle without rejetting and feel that it runs better. Mine sure didn't until I re-jetted. As for the snorkle hole I cut the bottom of a tupperware container and put it in the hole. I guess the tupperware walls coming down into the airbox could act as a throat like the original snorkel only a much larger openning at the top. We cross a fair amount of rivers up here in Canada so I'm hoping the top ridge of the tuperware outside the top of the box will help prevent any water from simply roling down into the snorkle hole. I cut the center out of the tuperware lid so I could snap down a screen on the tuperware. This might create an inconvinience in the future due to the fact I will need to take my seat off to clean that screen. Trial & error I guess. Now if we can only get ride of the three feet of snow we have up here.

Good points and well taken. I do not want anyone to take this tip for an excuse for not doing good bike maintenance. I clean my filter very regularly and make sure it has a good seal with the box. It is just a personal preference and the mesh is not a very restrictive material, in addition, it is a non-destructive mod.

An important point when making any mods such as this is, you need to do plug checks after ANY mod to make sure you are not running either to rich or lean. In fact, when riding in wet, muddy conditions like what we are experiencing now (South-East, we have had LOTS of rain) the filter stays really clean and the mesh cover doesn't really catch a lot. Honda does a good job with the top of the airbox and the mating surfaces to obstruct debris.

This is a really good site. Keep the replies coming! I am new to four-strokes and it has been a lot of fun learning all over again. Where are the "Gordon mods" posted?

For really dusty conditions or extended rides where you may not want to clean your filter at your overnight stop I have had good results using a large womens footlet (like a stocking for just the foot) stretched over the filter. Its a poor mans filter skin which can be removed leaving your filter faily clean, cuts down on filter cleaning (but isnt a substitute)and no one likes cleaning filters. I have done the gordon mods, actually they are performed by the dealer at time of purchase hear in Australia except for the header welds which u have to do yourself, I could not tell the difference with the footlet installed but this wasnt a race situation! :)

Jesus....I just read the "Gordon Mods" for the first time. So much for eyeballin' things such as header weld grinding!

"I'm not worthy!"

I would like to request my return to "newbie" status after that humbling read :)

I have had great success with stretching a filterskin over the airbox opening. A day of very dusty riding and the airfilter appears very clean. To me it saves time and work while providing maximum engine protection.