Sign in to follow this  

Dual Sport Kit for 125L need advice?

Has anyone put on a Baja Designs lights and signals for the TTR125L? My wife has a TTR and instead of selling it and getting a dual sport I thought I could get that kit. Also, is the stock gearing OK for the street? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tnanks in advance,

SAM

DRZ400S, TTR125L-wife, Z50-6 yr old girl

Check out this >LINK for LIGHT<

This will get you the stator setup you'll need with a headlight, all that will be left is the signals.

dmp437,

Great link, really sheds the light on the subject ;-) It is never the less a really great link. Does anyone know if you can make the TTR125L street legal in Georgia?

SAM

You would have to check with your State DMV or maybe thier website. We don't require turn signals here in MI. I have a magazine with all the state's requirements for street legal, but it's at work :)

If you're going to go street legal you'll need DOT approved tires also (or a friendly cop).

a lot of you'll need to be street legal not only depends on what the state requires, but what your buddy, who is a mechanic at a local shop, is willing to sign for.

If you dont have this buddy yet, make one!

Bring him a six pack and I'll bet you wont need a btterey or turn signals. Its worked for me a couple of times.

I'm reviving this old thread with the hope that someone can help me out with a 2002 TTR125L that I'd like to get converted for street use.

I just spoke with Baja Designs which offers their dual-sport kit for $489.95 and becuase of the kick-start, another $150 for the stator rewind. Grand total: $640!:confused:

Has anyone out there done this for less $$$ ???

Any PM's or public responses would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

Check the price of a factory stator for a LE be fore paying 150 to have yours rewound. I seem to remember them being a little under $100. Was looking into putting a headlight on my 125L a while back.

In CO, we only need headlight with high and low beams, brakes and a mirror/horn.

Baja makes an intermediate kit with the headlight/taillight. I put it on the wife's LE and it works great. Also run the 15 tooth front sprocket to make it more steetable.

I'm reviving this old thread with the hope that someone can help me out with a 2002 TTR125L that I'd like to get converted for street use.

I just spoke with Baja Designs which offers their dual-sport kit for $489.95 and becuase of the kick-start, another $150 for the stator rewind. Grand total: $640!:confused:

I have an L, and currently am putting together a list for DS'ing it.

Instead of going with the Baja Designs $500 kit, I intend to use:

UFO Oregon headlight $88 (built in signals)

A universal turn/hi/lo beam/kill/etc switch for $60.

A pair of hydraulic brake light switches for $17 each.

A Acerbis taillamp that has signals mounted in it for $71.

For a total of $250, which is still the same price as Baja Designs Enduro Kit, but you get signals also, and they're tucked in so they can't be broken so easily.

Will still have to rewind the stator and add a batt and horn and build my own wiring harness, but after the stator, it's all easy.

I'm all for finding a better way of doing things. I was compelled to get the Baja kit because we were in a time crunch, but I'd prefer going Chickenhauler's route as long as the parts are quality. Except for the super-cheesy brake switch and wiring for said switch, the quality is good.

How do you plan on getting a plate for this in California? I also have a TTR125 that my daughter rides and would love to dual sport it for her. Any way to do it, Specially Constructed Vehicle perhaps?

How do you plan on getting a plate for this in California? I also have a TTR125 that my daughter rides and would love to dual sport it for her. Any way to do it, Specially Constructed Vehicle perhaps?

That "CA" part may be a real stickler...........

I purchased a XR650R back in 2000 and installed a Baja Designs kit, which came with some forms to fill out and mail in to the DMV. A month later I had a plate on the 650R. Of course this was so long ago I can't remember exactly which forms they were, but as long as it's green sticker (not red) I've heard it's not too difficult as long as all the required street hardware is mounted and functional.

I purchased a XR650R back in 2000 and installed a Baja Designs kit, which came with some forms to fill out and mail in to the DMV. A month later I had a plate on the 650R. Of course this was so long ago I can't remember exactly which forms they were, but as long as it's green sticker (not red) I've heard it's not too difficult as long as all the required street hardware is mounted and functional.

Do some research and ask lots of questions before investing in any DS kits in CA. I'd hate to see you spend the $$ all for not.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=407305&highlight=CA+Plate

I was thinking about this for my wife's TTR. Its no nice to find a thread and all this info w/out hardly having to search.

I do have a friend who runs a shop, but just off hand, has anyone done this in Maryland?

I bought my TTR used from a guy in Ohio. The title says off road use only.

Am I totally screwed?

Anyone dealt w/ this? especially in Maryland.

Here in Utah, when you convert it, you get a new title made when you register it, then it doesn't say that anymore.

I'm gonna go down to the title office in the morning and see what I can do.