RevLoc Left Hand Operated Rear Brake Kit

For those of you using an automatic clutch and the RevLoc cable operated rear hand brake, you are of course aware of the interference between the brake cable and the exhaust pipe since the cable attaches to an extension from the back of the rear brake pedal which is located directly underneath the exhaust pipe. RevLoc suggests running the cable on the outside of the exhaust. What I originally had done was to install a commercial shield (guard) at the pipe/muffler junction, which kept the cable from touching the exhaust pipe. I even recessed the cable underneath the surface of the shield and wrapped the cable with electrical tape. This setup worked fine, but left the cable very vulnerable and subject to constant rubbing from my boot. An idea I picked up on the TT CRF450 site was the possibility of running the brake cable inside the exhaust pipe and subframe which would provide a much cleaner installation. The main problem of doing this was finding a way to insulate the cable from the exhaust pipe. I first tried wrapping the cable with 4-5 layers of HVAC type metal tape and found that the cable still got too hot, i.e. hot enough to melt the cable. I then picked up some exhaust insulating wrap from an auto speed shop and wrapped three layers around the exhaust pipe and used two 2" hose clamps to hold in place. I also wrapped the cable with electrical tape where it contacts the shock spring. This procedure seems to be doing a good job of insulating the brake cable from the exhaust pipe. I hope that it holds up. This exhaust wrap is a nonadhesive 2" tape about 1/16" thick. Street rodders use it primarily to wrap exhaust headers. Another improvement: The extension from the the back of the brake pedal has two holes in it for cable attachment. While RevLoc recommends using the inner hole, I found that attaching the cable to the outer hole works much better. The increased leverage provides for stronger braking, and is also more sensitive and easier to modulate.

I dumped my rear brake peddle all together and switched to a Magura left-handed brake lever. I hear people saying they tried this and it's never worked for them, but mine worked perfect on the first try.

It's weird not having a foot peddle, but once I got used to it I feel I've got much more control.

By the way, the Revloc rocks...

~ Ken

Is your Magura L H rear Brake hyddraulic with its own master cylinder? Or is it cable operated back to the stock Master Cylinder? Where did you buy this setup?

Victor V -

It's a 100% hydraulic setup. I got the lever from Magura directly at and had my hoses built by Earl's Supply in Lawndale California. The whole setup cost about $150... works perfect. It modulates well and is powerful enough that I only require 1 finger to completely lock-up the rear wheel.

~ Ken

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Ponch
      I have a 2007 450 EXC that I recently installed a new clutch slave cylinder on. Per the 2007 KTM service manual it clearly states that the clutch needs to be filled with hydraulic oil, which I did (magura blood). That was yesterday. I went out to double check the level today and when I removed the cover, the rubber seal was all contorted and out of shape. I then looked at the cover and it's a Brembo clutch and says "DOT 4 brake fluid only".
      I flushed the line and the master cylinder about 7 times with DOT 4 brake fluid and there was no sign of the magura blood left in the system. My question is: other than the rubber boot on the master cylinder, what damage might have been done by putting in the hydraulic oil? It was in for about 24 hours.
      Thanks in advance for any advice!
    • By pumpernickelBrad
      Hi Folks!

Sorry if there are a bunch of threads already but I used the site's search function and didn't find anything so far...

I just found a decent deal on a '14 350 EXC-F with 11k km (unknown hours). Has a few goodies including skid plate, hand guards and it's for sale for about $2k CAD less than a '16 with 6k km on it.
      The bike is in showroom condition (appearance) with no indication it has been offroad at all.

What would be the gotchas that would make this deal realistic? I'm coming from a WR250R where the engine lasts forever, is 11k street kms high for these bikes? 
      Are there any big defects in the '14s that I haven't dug up yet?
      With no service records what things should be done, checked, etc?
    • By Brannnt
      I purchased an '06 525 EXC some time ago, and recently pulled the motor out of the frame to address some other issues. When I removed the clutch slave cylinder, I noticed an issue the previous owner neglected to tell me about during the purchase.
      It appears that at some point, the chain broke and damaged the engine case near the clutch slave cylinder (see pics, please). I have noticed that the clutch does not fully disengage (bike lurches a bit going into gear, neutral is hard to find... its worse when engine is cold) ... I did not notice any leaks around this area (mineral oil or engine oil) before or during disassembly. 
      The previous owner (or someone) repaired it with some sort of epoxy.
      Without doing my due diligence (checking clutch fluid level, bleeding) I hesitate to state that this is the cause of my clutch disengagement issue ... but pardon my ignorance here and help me out: How bad is this?  Am I looking at replacing my engine case here or is the previous owner's jerry rig good enough?

• By Black Sox
      Just bought a new 2017 350 excf ,will be doing 98% off road ,ordered skid plate bark busters ,
      my ? Is what's the best easiest way to eliminate rear fender light assembly.I still would like to have a break light.
      xcf fender will fit so dealer says,under $50.00 👍But xcf brake light $125.00 .👎What's the best economical way of doing this?
    • By JNV
      Hi friends from Spain.
      Mi new KTM