Sign in to follow this  

03 yz250f questions

What is the hole on the right side of the engine for? and will it hurt if dirt gets there during a ride, or if water gets there while washing the bike?

The screws holding the shrouds on keep vibrating loose, after 20 - 30 minutes of riding around the yard some of them are almost ready to fall out. How can i stop them from coming out so easy, and what other bolts should i check for tightness on a regular basis? the manual lists about 100 of them... are they really all nessicary?

The front break rotor also has some slack, not where it mounts to the hub, but between the rotor and the part that mounts to the hub. is a little slack there nomal, or is there a way to tighten it up?

To check the valves, do you really have to remove the radiator?

>>How can i stop them from coming out so easy, and what

>>other bolts should i check for tightness on a

>>regular basis? the manual lists about 100 of them... are

>>they really all nessicary?

When I got my bike I lost a couple of radiator shroud bolts and seat bolts. Went to the hardware store and picked up a couple more. Always have some on hand. Haven't come out since. Not sure if there is a way to prevent them from coming out. I know with the two seat bolts, the originals came with a washer. I stuck a bolt on there from the hardware store that's the same length without the washer and it works great and has never come out.

Other bolts to check on a regular basis.

* Spokes.

* Handlebars bolts on top clamp.

* Front Brake caliper assembly - went to the track one time and saw a bike where the assembly just dropped and was dangling. Needless to say he pulled over after we waved him down after losing front braking.

* Main frame bolt

* Back sprocket bolts

Others TT members?

RevItUp

What is the hole on the right side of the engine for? and will it hurt if dirt gets there during a ride, or if water gets there while washing the bike?

This is a drain for the spark plug cavity in the head. It won't hurt to get dirt and water in there but if it sits it may rust the plug housing and make it difficult to remove. Use a golf tee to plug the hole while washing and spray a little WD-40 to keep the rust out.

The front break rotor also has some slack, not where it mounts to the hub, but between the rotor and the part that mounts to the hub. is a little slack there nomal, or is there a way to tighten it up?

A little play is normal, its a "floating" roater. A lot of play is abnormal and may need replacing of the raoter.

To check the valves, do you really have to remove the radiator?

No, but you do have to remove the tank and shrouds.

Yeah, I lost a few of the Phillips-head screws that keep the shrouds on. I think there are two solutions - 1) buy bolts that fit and replace the Phillips, since you can tighten them better, or 2) use Loctite (blue, not red, since red is too hard to get off.)

Or maybe 3) constantly check the screws!!! :)

Thanks for the replies. The bike is only 1 week and 1 day old, and i've been to busy to put much time on it. I've still got a long ways to go before i learn the bike from the maintenance side of things.

I loktite everything, every time. Never lost a bolt on my Yammy. My KX...different story!

Dude, I'm an engineer for Loctite...........use 222 on all your screws and 243 on all your bolts except the rear sprocket use 262 as they are prone to coming lose & they make a hell of a mess when they do ! :cry::cry:

Hey, cool- a loctite engineer! :cry: Tell me, is there any harm in leaving the loctite residue on the bolts as they are removed and replaced? Mine are kind of caking up but Im afraid to clean them with solvent lest I create a film that will disable the loctite. Gunk also is building up in the bolt holes. How do you deal with this? SHould I just shoot some contact cleaner down in there?