Kennedy Meadows weather

Looking at going to Kennedy Meadows on Fri 6/12 and staying till Sat afternoon. I assume it's open based on other threads? My question is whats the overnight weather like right now and is it still early enough in the season they are allowing campfires? Also if anyone wants to go it'll be just me and a buddy, we're not the fastest but we move at a fairly quick pace. Also note we've only been there once and stayed on the trails on the Eastern side, that other stuff just looked harder than what we were looking for. We like the techinal stuff bust sometimes it's just nice to cruise on flowy singletrack.

It can vary. Usually the extremes are lows in the 30's and highs in the 80's. More normal are lows in the 40's and highs in the 70's. This weekend with the weird weather we are having the lows may be in the 20's with rain and maybe even snow. These are the Sierra's and you have to be ready for afternoon thunderstorms.

I'm planning on going next weekend too. I'll be way on the west side. The trails are not that much more technical. Well some of them are.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info, low 40's wouldn't be so bad at night. We were there Early Sept. 2007 and we froze our butts off at night, think the locals sadi it gone down to 25 or so.

It's the Sierra's so you have to be prepared for almost anything. They get thunderstorms quite often. The monsoon season is usually most intense in July and August, but there were thunderstorms in mid May this year.

It's important to be ready for cold and rain at all times up there. That said, the weather is usually really nice during the summer. Most people will have great temps and no rain.

It's the Sierra's so you have to be prepared for almost anything. They get thunderstorms quite often. The monsoon season is usually most intense in July and August, but there were thunderstorms in mid May this year.

It's important to be ready for cold and rain at all times up there. That said, the weather is usually really nice during the summer. Most people will have great temps and no rain.

Carl, your knowledge of weather is very, very good, better than most. It is a discussion we must have at some time and share info.

For those who want to know, it is snowing now at Mammoth in the central Sierras and there is a forecast of 4-7 inches thru tomorrow over 7500 feet.. The good thing is that it will not last on the ground very long.

Look at the Sherman Peak cameras, looks to be snowing up there right now! http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/hnx/cameras.php

Also, Blackrock is currently 35 degrees at 10:33am.

Looks like a beautiful day! :crazy:

They have not had a chance to go up there and re aim the cameras. Many of them are pointing in weird directions.

A light dusting of snow. Peak is in the clouds and the fog is depositing lots of rime ice.

One of the current images. This is live so it will change when the weather changes.

sherman_peak_4.jpg

Looks like a beautiful day! ?

They have not had a chance to go up there and re aim the cameras. Many of them are pointing in weird directions.

A light dusting of snow. Peak is in the clouds and the fog is depositing lots of rime ice.

One of the current images. This is live so it will change when the weather changes.

sherman_peak_4.jpg

Wish I still had the bike, I WOULD be riding up there this weekend regardless!! :crazy::eek:?