I just had a new excel rim and new spokes laced to

I just had a new excel rim and new spokes laced to the stock hub of my XR4. I just put it on the bike and, to my dismay, noticed that it hops at speed, like the rim is egg-shaped. (Not real bad, but noticable). I put it on a stand with the front wheel off of the ground, spun it, and the rim (not the tire) definitely has about a 1/2 inch up and down oval to it. None side to side, just up and down. Obviously, I'm going to take it back to the place I had it laced.

But before I do- I'm wondering if it could be the axle that is bent. When I dropped it off at the shop, I didn't leave the axle. The bike is well maintained but definitely has many hard miles on it. Has anyone ever heard of a bent front axle causing this problem? Could it be that my old rim was so tweaked that I just didn't notice it?

Your accumulated wisdom would be appreciated.

00XR4 Dual-Sported, neccesary modifications.

02 CR125 bone-chilling stock.

00XR4 Dual-Sported, neccesary modifications.

02 CR125 bone-chilling stock.

Post Extras:

Pages: 1

Previous Index Next Flat Threaded

I don't see how it could be an axel because the axels don't turn could have been a bent rim but if the so-called wheelsmith continued he is isn't much of a wheelsmith and he probally just didn't have exp.. I don't see how they could argue against your issue.Good luck.

No way is it the axle. Sounds like your guy screwed up :)

Thanks- I'm taking it back today.

wheel lacing is a art!not everybody can doit.

Sounds like it needs to be "re-dished"...

As Eddie, says, wheel building is part voodoo, part art, and part luck.

Hollywood

Look bro if your axle was bent you couln't even get the wheel off if it was a half inch off. You need to get in those guys case they don't know what they are doing. I'm not getting down on you but like Eddie says not just anyone can lace a rim and get it true. prairiedawg