Any pilots out there?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was part of a USAF test program to see if the initial Cessna 172 (T-41) time was all that valuable. So a slug of us skipped the T-41 and went from NO TIME in anything to solo in a T-37 Cessna jet in 14 hours total time. THAT WAS THE MOST EXCITING RIDE IN MY LIFE. (It turns out better than 50% of my group washed out so basic prop training was reinstated to stay).

AZ - I was on the Connie for FRS CQ. I teach the guys how to land on the boat (Instructor). After they are done getting their first night traps in the Hornet. The LSOs get a chance to "BAG" some traps. Day only! (you wouldn't want to see us at night with no practice)

Ned

After 9 years as a Harrier (junkjet) pilot in the USMC I started my career as a Desert Racer. Didn't work out all that well, so I found a nice cozy corporate pilot job and now fly the "Bagel Bomber" Isreal Aircrart Industry Westwind 1124.

Have quit riding so I won't be limping or scratched-up if Jet Blue or Alaska Airlines should happen to call.

Did I mention that I crash alot.

For you military personnel...

Aren't some of the armed forces branches waiving the perfect eyesight requirements and allowing cadets with less than pefect vision to enter flight school? I heard this from a friend in ROTC, but I haven't contacted any officals about it for the real scoop.

Military life is strangely appealing to me (and I know I'll take heat for saying that but I don't care!). Flying is what I've always wanted to do, and my MBA can wait if I could do something like that.

Thanks!

~JuGGz

quote from Av8tor1: After 9 years as a Harrier (junkjet) pilot in the USMC I started my career as a Desert Racer.
That’s quite a peashooter under the nose of those junk jets! ?

[ September 15, 2002, 04:57 PM: Message edited by: tk421 ]

That’s quite a peashooter under the nose of those junk jets!
Whoops! I got my military jets mixed up. I guess I was thinking of the A10’s rotary cannon. ?

We saw the Harrier at Oshkosh back in ’92, Very impressive vertical takeoff. I envy you Av8tor1, it must be an awesome experience!

What would all you guys do if the engine(s) quit?

I have been flying hang gliders since 1979, up to 18,000 ft MSL and have approx. 55 flights in sailplanes. (gliders) By far, the most intense thing I have ever done is flying behind the tow plane in hot desert summer conditions. ?

I would do almost anything for a ride in a fighter, but unpowered flight is very rewarding.

As for the eyesight and flying military jets... I can't speak for the other services, but as long as you're correctable to 20/20, your eyesight can be pretty bad and still fly in the Air Force. My eyes dropped to 20/25 my senior year at the Academy and I still went to pilot training. They're a little worse now, and I just wear contacts...glasses under 9 Gs are pretty darn heavy!

As for the gliding, what to do if the engine quits.... If you have a 1 to 1 glide ratio to a 7000 ft or longer airfield, you just glide it in. We practice this pretty often in the F-16, because we only have one engine and a lot can go wrong with it. You can't do much thermalling or catch any mountain waves in the Viper. If you can't glide it to an airfield, you just punch out (preferably after pointing it away from populated areas). Most other jets have two engines and can fly perfectly well on one.

I could have used an ejection seat plenty of times on my WR.

Keith