Sign in to follow this  

fork seal fixed itself

I noticed ride before last that a fork seal was leaking a bit, and made a note to fix it this week. Well I rode it for hour last night and now it has stopped leaking. Maybe some dirt got lodged in there and it has now come out or pushed past the seal? This ever happen to anyone else? They're about due for new fluid so I was probably gonna do em pretty soon anyway. Just wish my floppy kickstarter would fix itself.

I noticed ride before last that a fork seal was leaking a bit, and made a note to fix it this week. Well I rode it for hour last night and now it has stopped leaking. Maybe some dirt got lodged in there and it has now come out or pushed past the seal? This ever happen to anyone else? They're about due for new fluid so I was probably gonna do em pretty soon anyway. Just wish my floppy kickstarter would fix itself.

or... maybe your oil level is very, very low in the forks and it can't leak what it doesn't have?

You know your bike best. I would be changing the seals ASAP if you are at all concerned about this.

nah I watch the seals like a hawk, it only leaked a little out, plus my suspension action feels the same. But yeah, since the seal was basically "open" for a while I'm sure it must have let some crud in.

That kind of what happened with my forks after i installed new seals. I'm not too sure whether it was oil or grease because i packed both the oil and dirt seals with plenty of grease upon installation.

I've had these seals in there for several months, so they were plenty seated. whatever the deal was, it's no biggie.

It happens sometimes, dirt gets in under the seal wiper and causes the seal to leak then when the fork gets compressed the dirt moves from under the seal and it will stop leaking for a bit. You can use the old business card trick to clean around the inner fork seal if you pry the seal wiper off and slide it down a little to give you room to run the card around the inside of the fork seal which will most times remove any grit that gets pushed up into there and stop a leak.

It happens sometimes, dirt gets in under the seal wiper and causes the seal to leak then when the fork gets compressed the dirt moves from under the seal and it will stop leaking for a bit. You can use the old business card trick to clean around the inner fork seal if you pry the seal wiper off and slide it down a little to give you room to run the card around the inside of the fork seal which will most times remove any grit that gets pushed up into there and stop a leak.

I will tell ya what works better than a card.

try it,it works every time, a goggle tear off, and it wont cut the lip on the seal[paper cut]

and you can put a little oil on it.

I have had the same thing happen. I figured it was just a little dirt lodged in there

I will tell ya what works better than a card.

try it,it works every time, a goggle tear off, and it wont cut the lip on the seal[paper cut]

and you can put a little oil on it.

Good tip i'll try it next time :thumbsup: