Do you use one finger or two on your clutch lever?

i use 1 finger on my brake and 1 finger on the clutch ?

A clutch ain't just for shifting, it's for precise-er delivery of power/control traction, I use it all the time to squirt up bumpy stuff (the HILLS!!! OMG the HILLS!!!!)

I ride a 150f, so my clutch is the ONLY way I can deliver power haha

How much do you use your clutch? I rarely use it, just shift without it. Up and down shifting.

I use mine every single up shift, every single down shift, and even while shifting in wheelies?

oops I'm back in the thumpette forum..?

A clutch ain't just for shifting, it's for precise-er delivery of power/control traction, I use it all the time to squirt up bumpy stuff (the HILLS!!! OMG the HILLS!!!!)

Yea, I use it for finesse and all that stuff - it's actually one of my riding goals this year is better clutch control/use and the other is using more rear brake. I'm a front-braker, but am learning the bene's of using some rear brake. Funny cuz when I was a kid and we had drum brakes, never touched the front..... how things change!

I'm a front-braker, but am learning the bene's of using some rear brake. Funny cuz when I was a kid and we had drum brakes, never touched the front..... how things change!

Yep, when I had drum brakes you could drag them all day without stalling. Switched to my 250f and I would stall it all the time so I became a front-braker... now that I am on a two stroke I'm a back-braker again.... very forgiving if you stall it, just let go of the brake and it fires right off again. I think that strong front brake on the KTM had something to do with me becoming a back-braker again ?

I'm a little weird. My clutch engages close to the bar, so if I use two fingers, my pinky and ring fingers get in the way of the lever. So, I apply pressure with two or three fingers, but all of my fingers rest on the lever. I use three for my brake lever, because that's all that will fit on the lever, and three fingers is more than enough pressure to brake effectively. Being a 15 year old that's too big for his 85 might make things a little different, though(average hands, kid-sized levers).

I'm a little weird. My clutch engages close to the bar, so if I use two fingers, my pinky and ring fingers get in the way of the lever. So, I apply pressure with two or three fingers, but all of my fingers rest on the lever. I use three for my brake lever, because that's all that will fit on the lever, and three fingers is more than enough pressure to brake effectively. Being a 15 year old that's too big for his 85 might make things a little different, though(average hands, kid-sized levers).

You know, you can adjust your pull to release wherever you want ?

I personally set mine so it engages almost all the way out, that way I only have to pull my clutch in halfway

This may have been said before, but I figured I would mention that I have been on quest for the lightest clutch pull for 10 years and I have BOXES full of clutch experiments gone wrong, I will leave out the no goes and cut to the chase.

As mentioned earlier, the best bang for the buck is the moose Ultimate Clutch Lever and perch. Differnt models are bike specific and this will make it REAL easy and is cheap, however it wears out quickly and the pivot bolt is crap and can break and should be replaced before riding.

And for those with a KTM with a Magura, change the stock Master Cylinder (the clutch assembly on the bars with the lever) and get a replacement from Magura that is 9.0 model. If you look under the bottom of the perch it will probably say 9.5, 10 or god for bid 10.5 (depends on what bike you have) but t he 9.0 is SIGNIFICANTLY lighter pull higher the number the harder the pull

And for the rest of the jap world looking for the easy pull, a Magura hydraulic replacement works well BUT BUT BUT ask for them to use a 9.0 master cylinder. This is custom and you will probably pay more and Magura wont want to sell you this but just insist. HOWEVER, I have not tried it on every bike, but ever bike we did try it on worked INCREDIBLE!!! really really soft! If you can not find this you can contact me and I will help

And the best solution would be a REKLUSE PRO! It helps with puttting the power to the ground in low traction conditions, but it also makes the clutch pull feather light!

FYI easier clutch pull almost always means less throw.....meaning finding neutral can be more difficult but a small price to pay for the ultimate clutch pull!

Speed is in the clutch find it and go faster.....Especially on smaller bore bikes

Good luck!

i love my zeta clutch lever! With the stock lever, I had trouble pulling it after riding hard for 3 hours. I would often stall the bike when fatigued. I got the Moose Easy Pull, but it was cheap clunky and never really fit right so the cable rubbing actually made it harder to pull. I decided to look for a more ergonomic lever that was made well thus making the pull smoother. It worked! And even more amazing, I have not broke it yet (knock on wood)

I think they have 2 and 3 finger models. I have the two and use two.

http://www.langstonracing.com/eshopprod_cat_2443-32063_product_245224.Zeta_Pivot_Billet_Clutch_Lever.htm

Speed is in the clutch find it and go faster.....Especially on smaller bore bikes

Good luck!

Thank you for this information Mike!!!! I especially appreciate your last comment - I've always felt like it's more work to clutch the smaller bore bikes.

Well, now that I'm on crutches for the next 3-5 weeks, I've got some time to get my bars and levers set up more ideal!

Unless I'm pinning it through the gears.. like if I'm doing a turn I have 2 on the front brake and probably 1 or 2 on the clutch.... but I usually pull the clutch in with more when changing gears because it's very stiff.

• 2 weeks later...

Holy crap, I just paid attention to this last weekend and it was my first time out this year. But I use 3 fingers on my clutch. What thaaa heck? I figure what ever it takes to clutch and still hold on with the bike right side up.:worthy: